* xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-17  5:08 Paul
From: Paul @ 2015-09-17  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

After I press "z" to fit the page to the window, or "w" to fit the page
width within the window, I'm finding that "-" & "+" is unresponsive.  I can
get it responding again by first pression "0" to zoom to 125%, but I really
hope that this is not necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I
didn't use xpdf on this computer before, and just loaded the package tonight.

* Re: xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-18 20:37 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-09-18 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 9/17/2015 1:08 AM, Paul wrote:
> After I press "z" to fit the page to the window, or "w" to fit the page
> width within the window, I'm finding that "-" & "+" is unresponsive.  I can
> get it responding again by first pression "0" to zoom to 125%, but I really
> hope that this is not necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I
> didn't use xpdf on this computer before, and just loaded the package tonight.

I can confirm this, but I'm not convinced it's a bug.  'man xpdf' says:

        0      Set the zoom factor to 125%.

        +      Zoom in (increment the zoom factor by 1).

        -      Zoom out (decrement the zoom factor by 1).

        z      Set the zoom factor to 'page' (fit page to window).

        w      Set the zoom factor to 'width' (fit page width to window).

If the zoom factor is 'page' or 'width', what would it mean to increment
or decrement the zoom factor by 1?

Ken

P.S. The cygwin-xfree list is obsolete.  You'll reach more people if you
use the main cygwin list.

* Re: xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-19  5:24   ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2015-09-19  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Ken Brown  wrote:
> On 9/17/2015 1:08 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>> After I press "z" to fit the page to the window, or "w" to fit the page
>> width within the window, I'm finding that "-" & "+" is unresponsive.  I
>> can
>> get it responding again by first pression "0" to zoom to 125%, but I
>> really
>> hope that this is not necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I
>> didn't use xpdf on this computer before, and just loaded the package
>> tonight.
>

> I can confirm this, but I'm not convinced it's a bug.  'man xpdf' says:
>
>        0      Set the zoom factor to 125%.
>
>        +      Zoom in (increment the zoom factor by 1).
>
>        -      Zoom out (decrement the zoom factor by 1).
>
>        z      Set the zoom factor to 'page' (fit page to window).
>
>        w      Set the zoom factor to 'width' (fit page width to window).
>
> If the zoom factor is 'page' or 'width', what would it mean to increment or
> decrement the zoom factor by 1?

One more/less than the zoom factor needed to achieve "fit page" or "fit width".

Csaba

* Re: xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-19 12:10     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-09-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 9/19/2015 1:24 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM, Ken Brown  wrote:
>> On 9/17/2015 1:08 AM, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>> After I press "z" to fit the page to the window, or "w" to fit the page
>>> width within the window, I'm finding that "-" & "+" is unresponsive.  I
>>> can
>>> get it responding again by first pression "0" to zoom to 125%, but I
>>> really
>>> hope that this is not necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I
>>> didn't use xpdf on this computer before, and just loaded the package
>>> tonight.
>>

>> I can confirm this, but I'm not convinced it's a bug.  'man xpdf' says:
>>
>>         0      Set the zoom factor to 125%.
>>
>>         +      Zoom in (increment the zoom factor by 1).
>>
>>         -      Zoom out (decrement the zoom factor by 1).
>>
>>         z      Set the zoom factor to 'page' (fit page to window).
>>
>>         w      Set the zoom factor to 'width' (fit page width to window).
>>
>> If the zoom factor is 'page' or 'width', what would it mean to increment or
>> decrement the zoom factor by 1?
>
> One more/less than the zoom factor needed to achieve "fit page" or "fit width".

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  In the context of the manual entry, it's not
obvious that the program author(s) intended zoom factors of 'page' and
'width' to be subject to incrementing/decrementing.

I get the same impression from looking at the zoom box at the bottom of
the screen: The choices are 400%, 200%, ..., 12.5%, "fit page", and "fit
width".  So it seems quite possible that the program is behaving as
designed.  There's also no reason to think that this is a bug in the
Cygwin implementation of xpdf, unless the OP finds that it behaves
differently on other systems.

Ken

* Re: xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-19 12:47       ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-09-19 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 19/09/15 13:10, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/19/2015 1:24 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:

>>> I can confirm this, but I'm not convinced it's a bug.  'man xpdf' says:
>>>
>>>         0      Set the zoom factor to 125%.
>>>
>>>         +      Zoom in (increment the zoom factor by 1).
>>>
>>>         -      Zoom out (decrement the zoom factor by 1).
>>>
>>>         z      Set the zoom factor to 'page' (fit page to window).
>>>
>>>         w      Set the zoom factor to 'width' (fit page width to
>>> window).
>>>
>>> If the zoom factor is 'page' or 'width', what would it mean to
>>> increment or
>>> decrement the zoom factor by 1?
>>
>> One more/less than the zoom factor needed to achieve "fit page" or
>> "fit width".
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  In the context of the manual entry, it's not
> obvious that the program author(s) intended zoom factors of 'page' and
> 'width' to be subject to incrementing/decrementing.
>
> I get the same impression from looking at the zoom box at the bottom
> of the screen: The choices are 400%, 200%, ..., 12.5%, "fit page", and
> "fit width".  So it seems quite possible that the program is behaving
> as designed.  There's also no reason to think that this is a bug in
> the Cygwin implementation of xpdf, unless the OP finds that it behaves
> differently on other systems.

I've just tried this on Fedora 22, and xpdf behaves exactly as the OP
described.

I believe Cygwin's xpdf is behaving as intended.

Dave.

* Re: xpdf zoom-in/out ("-"/"+") doesn't work after "z"/"w"
@ 2015-09-23  1:15         ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2015-09-23  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

David Stacey <drstacey <at> tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>On 19/09/15 13:10, Ken Brown wrote:
>> In the context of the manual entry, it's not obvious that the
>> program author(s) intended zoom factors of 'page' and 'width' to be
>> subject to incrementing/decrementing.
>>
>> I get the same impression from looking at the zoom box at the
>> bottom of the screen: The choices are 400%, 200%, ..., 12.5%, "fit
>> page", and "fit width".  So it seems quite possible that the
>> program is behaving as designed.  There's also no reason to think
>> that this is a bug in the Cygwin implementation of xpdf, unless the
>> OP finds that it behaves differently on other systems.
>
> I've just tried this on Fedora 22, and xpdf behaves exactly as the
> OP described.
>
> I believe Cygwin's xpdf is behaving as intended.

Shucks.  OK.  It's not the behaviour that *I* consider to be a
natural, but then again, I don't write and contribute freeware.  I
just benefit from using it.

Thanks to all that replied and investigated.