* My Brain Hurts!! Please help.
@ 1998-01-20 17:34 Paul Harrold
From: Paul Harrold @ 1998-01-20 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

I have just bought "Teach yourself C in 24 hours" and received the
GNUPro CD with the book.

The trouble is I can't make head or tale of what's on the CD,sure it
installed OK, but as I am a complete beginner in programming, the
contents of the CD mean nothing to me.

What file should I be looking at for a clear and logical introduction to
the contents of the CD. for example what file is the compiler,
assembler, debugger?

I can't be that stupid, I built PC's in my spare time!!

In short the CD has completely blown my mind I don't know where to
start.

Any clear and concise advice aimed at a complete novice would be greatly
appreciated.
--
Paul Harrold
-

* Re: My Brain Hurts!! Please help.
@ 1998-01-24 15:34 ` Peter Dalgaard BSA
From: Peter Dalgaard BSA @ 1998-01-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Harrold; +Cc: gnu-win32

Paul Harrold <paul@comcraft.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I have just bought "Teach yourself C in 24 hours" and received the
> GNUPro CD with the book.
>
> The trouble is I can't make head or tale of what's on the CD,sure it
> In short the CD has completely blown my mind I don't know where to
> start.
>
> Any clear and concise advice aimed at a complete novice would be greatly
> appreciated.

Ok. Go and do some horrible deed upon the author of that book, then
download rsxnt...

(look for rsxnt14.zip with you favourite search engine)

The matter is that the gnu-win32 and mingw32 projects are aimed at
porting a set of tools from Unix to win32, not particularly at
providing a comfortable development environment (except for the
comfort of actually being able to port things and make them work). So
it's kind of expected that you know a) what they're supposed to do and
b) what to fix when they don't. To top it off, what you're seeing is
an old beta release, bugs and all. So it's an eminently bad choice for
a complete beginner.

Another option might be to install Linux, and have a standard
Unix-type OS to work with. Don't expect to be productive "in 24
hours", though!

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907

-

* RE: My Brain Hurts!! Please help.
@ 1998-01-24 21:12   ` Shane Caraveo
From: Shane Caraveo @ 1998-01-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Harrold; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Paul Harrold <paul@comcraft.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I have just bought "Teach yourself C in 24 hours" and received the
> > GNUPro CD with the book.
> >
> > The trouble is I can't make head or tale of what's on the CD,sure it
> > In short the CD has completely blown my mind I don't know where to
> > start.
> >
> > Any clear and concise advice aimed at a complete novice would be greatly
> > appreciated.

Another option (and I may get shot for this one ;) is that I have seen some
Micro$oft Press books on beginning programming that include the visual c
v1.5 with it.  For the price of the book you get a compiler that at least
you dont have to understand too much about.  Not a greate compiler, and its
only 16bit (from a 1 bit company ;), but good for learning.  I dont know if
their books are good for learning from though.  They also have learning
editions of visual c++ v5 for less than $100.

Shane

-

* My Brain Hurts a bit less
@ 1998-01-25 14:56   ` Paul Harrold
From: Paul Harrold @ 1998-01-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dalgaard BSA; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Ok. Go and do some horrible deed upon the author of that book, then
>download rsxnt...
>
>(look for rsxnt14.zip with you favourite search engine)
>
>The matter is that the gnu-win32 and mingw32 projects are aimed at
>porting a set of tools from Unix to win32, not particularly at
>providing a comfortable development environment (except for the
>comfort of actually being able to port things and make them work). So
>it's kind of expected that you know a) what they're supposed to do and
>b) what to fix when they don't. To top it off, what you're seeing is
>an old beta release, bugs and all. So it's an eminently bad choice for
>a complete beginner.
>
>Another option might be to install Linux, and have a standard
>Unix-type OS to work with. Don't expect to be productive "in 24
>hours", though!

Peter,

Thanks for your reply, I really apreciated it. I did download rsxnt.zip
but it seems, from reading the help file, that I need other files as
well from the net and guess what? It got me all confused again! which
begs the following question, am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I
start by learning another less complicated language? If so, which one?

What I think I really need is a programming environment that is win95
based and has context sensitive help (preferably aimed at begginers,
like me) so that I can get on with learning to write code while the
software I am using to do so, guides me GENTLY through the process. Do
you know of a programme that does this? Is there a demo on the net?

Thanks again,

Regards,

P.S. can you download Linux OS from the net? (or have i got that all
wrong too? Bloody good isn't it, I though I was a bit good at computers
untill I decided to learn to programme, I'll do it if it kills me though
:-] )
--
Paul Harrold
-