* RE: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-03 16:57 Gary R Van Sickle
From: Gary R Van Sickle @ 2002-01-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stoddard, Isaac A wrote:

[snip mere *mention* of EXEs trips AV SW]

Man, I've heard some MIStapo horror stories in my time, but that one takes the proverbial cake.  I simply can't imagine that such a situation can last for long at a place as big as Boeing without rioting in the cubes by the engineering staff.

I sympathize with you, but I agree 100% with Chris et al, munging every post merely mentioning an exe just to bypass some rogue MiSS stormtrooper's insanity is just plain wrong.  What would munging the announcements gain you anyway though?  Surely if they're blocking those, you're being blocked from downloading and installing anything, no?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.

* Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-07  9:18   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-07  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 08:03:19AM -0800, Joshua Franklin wrote:
>Well, I guess I'll post this to the cygwin list then.  I thought the
>whole point of a mailing list was to have a place where people could
>get a problem solved and others can search for the same problem later.
>I knew of a way around a stupid corporate virus filter.
>
>So, I posted to the original list and CC'd the poster.  I thought it
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The original list *was* cygwin@cygwin.com, not cygwin-apps@cygwin.com.

>might be confusing to someone searching the archives to find a message
>on cygwin-apps with no reply.

What I found confusing was that you moved the thread to cygwin-apps.

cgf

* Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
       [not found] <3C39C96C.18F95156@yahoo.com>
@ 2002-01-07  8:32 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2002-01-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CU List

> Subject: Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
> Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 08:03:19 -0800 (PST)
> From: Joshua Franklin <joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com>
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> Well, I guess I'll post this to the cygwin list then.
> I thought the whole point of a mailing list was to
> have a place where people could get a problem solved
> and others can search for the same problem later.
> I knew of a way around a stupid corporate virus
> filter.
>
> So, I posted to the original list and CC'd the
> poster. I thought it might be confusing to someone
> searching the archives to find a message on
> cygwin-apps with no reply.

It's common courtesy to keep OT off list.  If you respond to an OT then
don't include the list in the response.  If you think it's pertinent for
list members the cygwin@cygwin.com is the place to post that.  All other
lists must remain per specified topic or the quality of developer time
will be diminished.  It seems that cygwin-apps posts tend to be a big
offender of OT posts.  Please review the http://cygwin.com/lists.html
page before posting to it or other lists.  We don't want
cygwin-apps@cygwin.com to become YA cygwin@cygwin.com.

The primary purpose of cygwin-apps is for maintainers of cygwin
distributed applications to communicate with one another.  It's not for
posting questions about the operation of the application.  If you're not
maintaining an application then you're safe post will be to
cygwin@cygwin.com not to cygwin-apps@cygwin.com.

Earnie.

* Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
       [not found] <1010315016.8208.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2002-01-07  8:03 ` Joshua Franklin
From: Joshua Franklin @ 2002-01-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> [...]

> no guarantee that the original poster is even
> subscribed to cygwin-apps.
>
> cgf
>
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:24:30PM -0800, Joshua
> Franklin wrote:
> >You might also try getting a free-mail account from
> >one of the ones that allow POPing--say, Yahoo! ;)
> >Subscribe that to cygwin-apps and add
> >pop.mail.yahoo.com to your email-fetching client.
> >(You have to set a preference in Yahoo! Mail's
> options
> >to allow pop access, FWIW.)
> >
> >> I thoroughly agree with you about filter quality.
> >> However, this is at
> >> Corporate firewall level, and admin will NOT be
> >> changing it, (so said the
> >> helpdesk). I would dearly love to be able to
> control
> >> my own inbound
> >> filtering, since I practice "safe hex", but
> that's
> >> not likely to be allowed
> >> soon. Sigh.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your to-the-point suggestions, but I
> >> can't use them right now.
> >>
> >> Isaac Stoddard
> >> Boeing Space & Communications, ISS GN&C
> Integration,
> >> Mail Code HM5-20, Tower II cube 5255
> >> voice: (281) 244-4246   fax: (281)244-
>

> ATTACHMENT part 3 message/rfc822
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:01:38 -0500
> From: "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@home.com>
> To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
> Subject: Gary's Setup.exe v2.162
>
> Downloaded 01/04/02,
> Some uglinesses:
>
> CHOOSER:
> 	Click category=Base ('cause it's numerous), observe
> painting of text
> quits after about 8 lines.  White space is painted
> sufficient to fit the
> "missing" text.  Further digging reveals that
> painting text of the
> package names quits at y=~2/3 height, by the time I
> tried expanding
> Graphics it only painted 1 package.
> 	Click category=Doc, observe program "wants" to
> Uninstall libxml2 &
> libxslt.  After a few more games, selected
> "Experimental".  Now Doc
> category "wants" to keep xml2 & xslt but *uninstall*
> man & newlib-man.
> 	Select "Prev", observe the program now wants to
> uninstall anything for
> which it doesn't find a "prev".  IMHO "prev" should
> *skip* any package
> where it's not possible to back up.

> 	Same ugliness as above, painting of package names
> quits at y=2/3.
> 	Play with the vertical scroll.  Doing it slowly
> left me with *nothing* in
> the display area - once I scrolled the fractured
> text up off the display
> it doesn't come back.
> 	Play QUICKLY with the vertical scroll.  Fragments
> of text show up,
> unintelligable, at divers points in the list of
> packages.
> --
> David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access

:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>

Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}

http://www.networksimplicity.com/whois/whois-4.5.15-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.networksimplicity.com/whois/whois-4.5.15-1.tar.bz2

@ 2002-01-03 10:51 Stoddard, Isaac A

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-01-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:34:58AM -0600, Stoddard, Isaac A wrote:
>Our filters can't be the only ones blocking you guys (and other good
>folks' news) from reaching us.  Would someone at your site be
>interested/able/willing to change the standard announcement text to
>avoid mentioning that executable?

No, I'm not willing to do that and I sincerely hope that no one else who
contributes to cygwin-announce will change the announcement message either.

I don't think it is a good idea to lose information to accomodate broken
virus checking.

Sorry.

cgf

* Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-03  9:45 ` John Peacock
From: John Peacock @ 2002-01-03  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stoddard, Isaac A; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

"Stoddard, Isaac A" wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Our corporate anti-viral filters traps cygwin-announce now. Someone has
> decided that (imagine the punctuation) "setup dot exe" is a potential virus
> vector and all list-mailed messages containing it as a character string are
> automatically blocked. Hence, I can no longer receive cygwin-announce.
>
> Our filters can't be the only ones blocking you guys (and other good folks'
> news) from reaching us. Would someone at your site be
> interested/able/willing to change the standard announcement text to avoid
> mentioning that executable?

Quality anti-viral filters should only block ATTACHEMENTS named "something dot
exe" not just the mention of it.  My suggestion is to get a new anti-virus
program or ask your anti-virus admin to be less strident about blocking
text-only messages.  This is almost certainly a "stupid admin" trick, not a
default setting in your anti-virus (or more likely firewall) config.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
4720 Boston Way
Lanham, MD 20706
301-459-3366 x.5010
fax 301-429-5747

* announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-03  9:23 Stoddard, Isaac A
From: Stoddard, Isaac A @ 2002-01-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Folks,

Our corporate anti-viral filters traps cygwin-announce now. Someone has
decided that (imagine the punctuation) "setup dot exe" is a potential virus
vector and all list-mailed messages containing it as a character string are
automatically blocked. Hence, I can no longer receive cygwin-announce.

Our filters can't be the only ones blocking you guys (and other good folks'
news) from reaching us. Would someone at your site be
interested/able/willing to change the standard announcement text to avoid
mentioning that executable?

Otherwise, would someone please work with me on developing a
source-patch-only daily tarball that could be fetched by a cygwin-shell
cronjob?