* RE: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-03 16:57 Gary R Van Sickle
From: Gary R Van Sickle @ 2002-01-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stoddard, Isaac A wrote:

[snip mere *mention* of EXEs trips AV SW]

Man, I've heard some MIStapo horror stories in my time, but that one takes the proverbial cake.  I simply can't imagine that such a situation can last for long at a place as big as Boeing without rioting in the cubes by the engineering staff.

I sympathize with you, but I agree 100% with Chris et al, munging every post merely mentioning an exe just to bypass some rogue MiSS stormtrooper's insanity is just plain wrong.  What would munging the announcements gain you anyway though?  Surely if they're blocking those, you're being blocked from downloading and installing anything, no?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.

[parent not found: <3C39C96C.18F95156@yahoo.com>]
[parent not found: <1010315016.8208.ezmlm@cygwin.com>]
* RE: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter
@ 2002-01-03 10:51 Stoddard, Isaac A
From: Stoddard, Isaac A @ 2002-01-03 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I thoroughly agree with you about filter quality. However, this is at
Corporate firewall level, and admin will NOT be changing it, (so said the
helpdesk). I would dearly love to be able to control my own inbound
filtering, since I practice "safe hex", but that's not likely to be allowed
soon. Sigh.

Thanks for your to-the-point suggestions, but I can't use them right now.

Isaac Stoddard
Boeing Space & Communications, ISS GN&C Integration,
Mail Code HM5-20, Tower II cube 5255
From: Stoddard, Isaac A @ 2002-01-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Folks,

Our corporate anti-viral filters traps cygwin-announce now. Someone has
decided that (imagine the punctuation) "setup dot exe" is a potential virus
vector and all list-mailed messages containing it as a character string are
automatically blocked. Hence, I can no longer receive cygwin-announce.

Our filters can't be the only ones blocking you guys (and other good folks'
news) from reaching us. Would someone at your site be
interested/able/willing to change the standard announcement text to avoid
mentioning that executable?

Otherwise, would someone please work with me on developing a
source-patch-only daily tarball that could be fetched by a cygwin-shell
cronjob?