From: <sten.kristian.ivarsson@gmail.com>
To: "'Ken Brown'" <kbrown@cornell.edu>, <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: RE: AF_UNIX/SOCK_DGRAM is dropping messages
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:14:20 +0200	[thread overview]

> >> Hi Ken

> seems

> "mystery"

> thread"

> fix.  Please retest.

> >> I finally got some time to test topic/af_unix in our "real"
> >> cygwin-application
> >> (casual) and unfortunately very few of our unittests pass
> >>
> >> The symptoms are that there's unexpected eternal blocking, sometimes
> >> there's unexpected EADDRNOTAVAIL, sometimes it looks like some
> memory
> >> corruption (and
> >> core-dumps)
> >>
> >> Of course the memory corruption etc could be our self and the
> >> core-dumps might be because of uncaught exceptions
> >>
> >> Needles to say is that all unittests pass on Linux, but of course
> >> cygwin-topic/af_unix could act according to POSIX-standard and the
> >> behaviour couldbe due to our own misinterpretation of how POSIX works
> >
> > More likely it's due to bugs in the topic/af_unix branch.  This is
> > still very much a work in progress.
> >
> >> I will try to narrow down the quite complex logic and reproduce the
> >> problems
> >
> > That would be ideal.
> >
> >> If you of some reason wanna try it with casual, I'd be glad to help
> >> you out (it should be easier now that last time (but there might be
> >> some documentation missing for Cygwin still))
> >>
> >> https://bitbucket.org/casualcore/
> >
> > I'm going on vacation in a few days, but I might do this when I get back.
> >
> > Thanks for your testing.
>
> By the way, if your code is using datagram sockets, then there are very serious
> problems with our implementation (even aside from the performance issue
> that we've already discussed).  For example, I don't know of any reasonable
> way for select to test whether such a socket is ready for writing.  We'll need to
> solve that somehow.

If you by that mean if we're using SOCK_DGRAM, the answer is yes

I tried SOCK_STREAM (and SOCK_SEQPACKET I think) for CYGWIN 3.2.0 but that didn't work at all

As far as I understand, both all types on pretty much all implementations preserves message ordering though

I haven't tried SOCK_STREAM and/or SOCK_SEQPACKET with the topic/af_unix-branch. Is that worth a try ?

Best regards,
Kristian