* Fw: Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll
@ 2001-07-20 19:43 eCommerce Software Solutions Inc.
From: eCommerce Software Solutions Inc. @ 2001-07-20 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

BUG: cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000 with
SP1

Hi Corinna, Mo and Mumit,

I am a brand new Cygwin user, who started using it basically to postgresql
on WIN2000.

The situation is this:

I have cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000
with SP1.

I use Java and JDBC to connect from a Windows to Postgresql server to do a
very simple select:

select count(*) from table1; // returns count of 2

It works fine.

Now I run this on 10 threads in my Java program. Each thread loops for
100000000 times.

When I do this every thing appears to be ok at first. Then, I realize that I
am loosing free memory really fast.

I go in the "task manager" in windows 2000 and look at the memory usage for
each process. It is fine i.e not growing.

But Available physical memory is going down really fast. I have no clue at
first.

Then I notice that in Performance tab of Windows task manager, under Totals,
the handles is running very fast.

I discovered that it begins from 4080 and goes on incrimenting ( to a very
large number ) until I run out of memory.

I have a feeling that this is related to close of handles problem you are
discussing under subject
"Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll"

Mo has provided a patch. But I don't know how to apply this ( I am very good
at Unix and C++ but fear screwing something up

as the diff lookcomplicated).

Could you folks guide me. I can use Postgresql on Win2000 only if Cygwin is
stable in this regard.

Again, I am not very aware of protocol ( being new), so please ignore any
deficiency.

Thanks all.

Vinay

PS: Admire you folks. You are Heroes.

* Re: Fw: Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll
@ 2001-07-20 19:57 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: vinaysoni1

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:43:31PM -0700, eCommerce Software Solutions Inc. wrote:

>BUG: cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000 with
>SP1
>

>Hi Corinna, Mo and Mumit,
>
>I am a brand new Cygwin user, who started using it basically to postgresql
>on WIN2000.
>
>The situation is this:
>
>I have cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000
>with SP1.
>
>I use Java and JDBC to connect from a Windows to Postgresql server to do a
>very simple select:
>
>select count(*) from table1; // returns count of 2
>
>It works fine.
>
>Now I run this on 10 threads in my Java program. Each thread loops for
>100000000 times.
>
>When I do this every thing appears to be ok at first. Then, I realize that I
>am loosing free memory really fast.
>
>I go in the "task manager" in windows 2000 and look at the memory usage for
>each process. It is fine i.e not growing.
>
>But Available physical memory is going down really fast. I have no clue at
>first.
>
>Then I notice that in Performance tab of Windows task manager, under Totals,
>the handles is running very fast.
>
>I discovered that it begins from 4080 and goes on incrimenting ( to a very
>large number ) until I run out of memory.
>
>I have a feeling that this is related to close of handles problem you are
>discussing under subject
>"Linking to cygwin1.dll and msvcrt.dll"
>
>Mo has provided a patch. But I don't know how to apply this ( I am very good
>at Unix and C++ but fear screwing something up
>
>as the diff lookcomplicated).
>
>Could you folks guide me. I can use Postgresql on Win2000 only if Cygwin is
>stable in this regard.

I don't see how this could have anything to do with Mo's patch.  His patch
was for tcl.  You are not using tcl.

It sounds like you have an old-fashioned handle leak in your program, although
it is not clear if it is your program or Postgres which is having the problem.

cgf

* Leaking Handles in Postgres 7.1.2 on Cygwin dll 1.3.2 on Win 2000 SP1
@ 2001-07-21 18:07   ` eCommerce Software Solutions Inc.
From: eCommerce Software Solutions Inc. @ 2001-07-21 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pgsql-cygwin-request; +Cc: cygwin

Subject: Leaking Handles in Postgres 7.1.2 on Cygwin dll 1.3.2 on Win 2000

[...]

Since both client and DB server are on the same machine it is hard to tell
which is leaking handles!

Now I moved the client to another machine.  The client uses JDBC to connect
to the PG Database running in Win2000 Cygwin environment on another Machine.
I looked at the Windows Task Monitor to notice that there are no leaking
handles on the client Machine. Therefore leak is not in my Program.

The handles are being leaked by PG on the Machine acting as DB Server in
Cygwin environment.

I hope this isolates the problem further to PG and Cygwin and not JDBC and
Client code.

Lets fix this problem.

Thanks,

Vinay

* Re: Leaking Handles in Postgres 7.1.2 on Cygwin dll 1.3.2 on Win 2000 SP1
@ 2001-07-21 18:25     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2001-07-21 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCommerce Software Solutions Inc.; +Cc: cygwin, Pgsql-Cygwin

Vinay,

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 09:07:31PM -0700, eCommerce Software Solutions wrote:
> The situation is this:
>
> I have cygwin with ( dll 1.3.2 ) and latest Postgresql 7.1.2 on Win 2000
> with SP1.
>
> [snip]
>
> The handles are being leaked by PG on the Machine acting as DB Server in
> Cygwin environment.
>
> I hope this isolates the problem further to PG and Cygwin and not JDBC and
> Client code.
>
> Lets fix this problem.

It has been reported that this problem has been fixed in a post Cygwin
1.3.2 snapshot:

    http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1025694

Please repeat your test with the latest snapshot (i.e., 2001-Jul-19):

    http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/

and report back to the list whether or not your problem has already
been solved.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

* Re: Leaking Handles in Postgres 7.1.2 on Cygwin dll 1.3.2 on Win 2000 SP1
@ 2001-07-22 14:34       ` eCommerce Software Solutions Inc.
From: eCommerce Software Solutions Inc. @ 2001-07-22 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pgsql-Cygwin; +Cc: cygwin, Jason Tishler

Hi Jason,

Yes the problem seems to be fixed with the latest Cygwin.