* RE: cygwin.bat
@ 2001-09-08 15:27 Bobby McNulty
From: Bobby McNulty @ 2001-09-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Alex Malinovich", cygwin

"Alex Malinovich" <baggend@howlermonkey.net> wrote:

>Just a quick observation. Cygwin.bat calls "bash --login -i" to start
>cygwin. Wouldn't it be a bit better to instead use 'start' to launch
>bash?
>
>e.g.
>
>"start bash --login -i"
>
>By using 'start' bash is called, and then the batchfile continues
>execution. (it ends)
>
>This would alleviate the issue of "Terminate batch job?" messages that
>occasionally crop up when closing the window. It also allows more than
>one instance of bash to be called by using a keyboard shortcut. I have
>ctrl-alt-c set to call cygwin.bat. The only problem is that if I already
>have a window open, it won't allow me to open a second one that way
>since the batch file is still "running". Using 'start', I can now open
>as many windows as I want. AFAIK the 'start' command has been
>implemented in all MS OS's since 95 so compatibility shouldn't be an
>issue. Just a suggestion.
>
>-Alex
>

>--

I just tried it out.

start /r bash --login -i

When exit is sent, the window closes without any fuss.

* RE: cygwin.bat
@ 2001-09-08 17:56 ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-09-08 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Or, better yet, don't use a batch file at all.  Create an icon that
starts in <drive>:\Path-to-cygwin\bin that launches bash.

Works like a charm.

-ME

>Just a quick observation. Cygwin.bat calls "bash --login -i" to start
>cygwin. Wouldn't it be a bit better to instead use 'start' to launch
>bash?
>
>e.g.
>
>"start bash --login -i"
>
>By using 'start' bash is called, and then the batchfile continues
>execution. (it ends)
>
>This would alleviate the issue of "Terminate batch job?" messages that
>occasionally crop up when closing the window. It also allows more than
>one instance of bash to be called by using a keyboard shortcut. I have
>ctrl-alt-c set to call cygwin.bat. The only problem is that if I
already
>have a window open, it won't allow me to open a second one that way
>since the batch file is still "running". Using 'start', I can now open
>as many windows as I want. AFAIK the 'start' command has been
>implemented in all MS OS's since 95 so compatibility shouldn't be an
>issue. Just a suggestion.
>
>-Alex
>

>--

I just tried it out.

start /r bash --login -i

When exit is sent, the window closes without any fuss.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/

* RE: cygwin.bat
@ 2001-09-08 22:44   ` Alex Malinovich
From: Alex Malinovich @ 2001-09-08 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

That's a good idea as well. Thought I get the feeling that it would be
considerably more work to implement than just adding "start" to the
batch file. (From a setup.exe point of view that is.)

-Alex

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2007-11-20 10:51 ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2007-11-20 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

123cu wrote:
> First, I am a newbee to Cygwin so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
>
> I have a text file (aaa.txt) which contains a simple grep command. When I
> start Cygwin.bat, I want this file to be started (executed) as part of
> invoking the cygwin.bat file. I don't know how to do it. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> cygwin.bat file
> @echo on
>
> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
> set HOME=\cygwin
> bash --login -i

I could give you two ways to do that:

1) You simply have to edit /etc/bash.bashrc then add the line that executes
aaa.txt.  For example, if, as you say, your file aaa.txt is in "c:\temp
dir" and contains a *simple* grep command, then the line on the
/etc/bash.bashrc file would look like this:

`cat /cygdrive/c/temp\ dir/aaa.txt`

Note the backticks at the start and end of the line and note that the
directory appears as:

"temp\ dir"

and not

"temp dir"

2) You could actually put the entire grep command on /etc/bash.bashrc if
you wish.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Music Research and Development Division

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2007-11-19 16:18 ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2007-11-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Nov 19, 2007 11:01 AM, 123cu <fmk0203@charter.net> wrote:

> First, I am a newbee to Cygwin so please excuse my lack of knowledge.
>
> I have a text file (aaa.txt) which contains a simple grep command. When I
> start Cygwin.bat, I want this file to be started (executed) as part of
> invoking the cygwin.bat file. I don't know how to do it. Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> cygwin.bat file
> @echo on
>
> C:
> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
> set HOME=\cygwin
> bash --login -i

cygwin.bat is typically used to start the cygwin environment, usually
by starting a bash shell.  The bash shell then runs some "startup"
scripts, like .bashrc and .bash_profile.  Those files are where you
would normally put anything that you want to run every time you start
a shell.

Based on your description, it sounds like you may be doing something
that might not fit with the idea of how cygwin works.  If you can
explain in more detail what you are trying to accomplish, we may be
able to find a better solution, or help you to integrate it better.

* cygwin.bat
@ 2007-11-19 16:17 123cu
From: 123cu @ 2007-11-19 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-11  3:50                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-05-11  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:15:05AM +0100, Sam Edge wrote:
>cgf wrote in <20030511021835.GB18826@redhat.com>
>in gmane.os.cygwin on Sat, 10 May 2003 22:18:35 -0400:

>> >Negligible on a modern PC. Noticeable on some of the kit I've got
>> >here. ;-)
>
>> I *really* find that hard to believe.  I've run cygwin on some pretty
>> slow computers and I've never noticed a slowdown from running bash
>> in a command shell.  Even Windows should be smart enough to know that
>> it can swap out most of command.com when bash.exe is running so I
>> don't know how this could be a resource thing.
>
>Oh yes. I've already said that the general system slow down due to one
>extra waiting process isn't going to be noticeable. (Although just
>because a process is swapped out doesn't mean it ceases consuming
>resources, especially on Windows!)

Of course.  It's consuming swap space on disk for one thing.  It's
unlikely that in-use handles or atoms or shared memory is going to have
much impact on active processes however.

>But the overhead in /launching/ an extra CMD.EXE to process the ".BAT"
>file that then starts up bash.exe can be noticed on old kit under NT.

So, once again, as I said:

Translation: Except for a neglible startup cost, it's probably his
imagination.

cgf

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-11  3:31               ` Sam Edge
From: Sam Edge @ 2003-05-11  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cgf wrote in <20030511021835.GB18826@redhat.com>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sat, 10 May 2003 22:18:35 -0400:

> >Negligible on a modern PC. Noticeable on some of the kit I've got
> >here. ;-)

> I *really* find that hard to believe.  I've run cygwin on some pretty
> slow computers and I've never noticed a slowdown from running bash
> in a command shell.  Even Windows should be smart enough to know that
> it can swap out most of command.com when bash.exe is running so I
> don't know how this could be a resource thing.

Oh yes. I've already said that the general system slow down due to one
extra waiting process isn't going to be noticeable. (Although just
because a process is swapped out doesn't mean it ceases consuming
resources, especially on Windows!)

But the overhead in /launching/ an extra CMD.EXE to process the ".BAT"
file that then starts up bash.exe can be noticed on old kit under NT.

I suspect that on Win9x the difference is much smaller because,
whether I start bash.exe directly or via cygwin.bat, a WINOA386.MOD
process is always created as well as a BASH.EXE.

--
Sam Edge

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-11  2:18             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-05-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-11  2:18           ` Sam Edge
From: Sam Edge @ 2003-05-11  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cjf wrote in <20030511002234.GD17951@redhat.com>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sat, 10 May 2003 20:22:34 -0400:

> >> That *would* be your imagination.

> >Maybe not.
> >If you start up bash.exe directly by double-clicking it or by putting
> >bash.exe in a shortcut, then only one process is created.
> >
> >If you use cygwin.bat, then under Windows NT/2k/XP you first have a
> >CMD.EXE process created and then a bash.exe. The CMD.EXE sits around
> >doing nothing until the bash.exe process exits.
> > [snip]

> Translation: Except for a neglible startup cost, it's probably his
> imagination.

Negligible on a modern PC. Noticeable on some of the kit I've got
here. ;-)

--
Sam Edge
(who seldom parts with a working computer)

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-11  1:10         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-05-11  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-10 21:56       ` Sam Edge
From: Sam Edge @ 2003-05-10 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-10  4:01     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) @ 2003-05-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: derek; +Cc: cygwin

derek wrote:
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 9 May 2003, derek wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone actually find that thing useful?
>>>

>>Sure.  I do.  Use it all the time on Win2k.
>>

>>>I removed it because I was tired of CTRL-C getting intercepted when I
>>>closed a window.
>>>

>>WAG: read up on the "tty" setting in the CYGWIN environment variable
>>(<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>).
>>	Igor
>>

> I've looked into that in the past. As far as I can remember, all that
> can be done is disabling ctrl-c entirely - not that the link was much help.

That may have been your experience but it doesn't represent the intent
and capabililty of the 'tty' setting for the CYGWIN environment variable.
See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html> for more
definitive information on it's capabilities and usage.

> Since pretty much everything can be set outside of cygwin.bat, it just
> seems like an annoyance.

Ah good.  So it's working as planned! ;-)

Seriously, you're not *required* to use it.

>Could be my imagination, but even seems a
> little slower.

That *would* be your imagination.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-10  3:53   ` derek
From: derek @ 2003-05-10  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Fri, 9 May 2003, derek wrote:
>

>>Anyone actually find that thing useful?
>>

>Sure.  I do.  Use it all the time on Win2k.
>

>>I removed it because I was tired of CTRL-C getting intercepted when I
>>closed a window.
>>

>WAG: read up on the "tty" setting in the CYGWIN environment variable
>(<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>).
>	Igor

I've looked into that in the past. As far as I can remember, all that
can be done is disabling ctrl-c entirely - not that the link was much help.
Since pretty much everything can be set outside of cygwin.bat, it just
seems like an annoyance.  Could be my imagination, but even seems a
little slower.

* Re: cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-10  3:31 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-10  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: derek; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 9 May 2003, derek wrote:

> Anyone actually find that thing useful?

Sure.  I do.  Use it all the time on Win2k.

> I removed it because I was tired of CTRL-C getting intercepted when I
> closed a window.

WAG: read up on the "tty" setting in the CYGWIN environment variable
(<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* cygwin.bat
@ 2003-05-10  3:14 derek
From: derek @ 2003-05-10  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-08 15:04 Alex Malinovich
From: Alex Malinovich @ 2001-09-08 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-08-10 14:01 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-08-10 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bones0_list; +Cc: cygwin

> Why not just point the shortcut directly to bash.exe with the neccesary
> parameters?

Patches welcome!

* cygwin.bat
@ 2000-08-10 13:48 Jonas Jensen
From: Jonas Jensen @ 2000-08-10 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

I'm wondering why the Cygwin.bat file is still used for new installations.
It causes problems with CTRL+C and it leaves a cmd.exe waiting in the
background for each Cygwin window opened.
It used to set variables, but they're all set in /etc/profile now, although
some users still appear to have their old Cygwin.bat... which must mean they
get those variables set twice (and that should cause duplications when
prepending to $PATH).