* Re: no acceptable ld
@ 1999-02-22 17:45 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-22 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

This problem also occurs with LessTif and many other codes.  It is because
Cygwin has a different style.

I usually search the configure script for something like "LD="$...." and
replace all those occurances with
LD="/usr/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cywgin32/bin/ld.exe"  This hard codes the ld.exe
path and also include at your ./configure --with-gnu-ld if this option is
available (check with ./configure --help).  Hard coding ld.exe path in
configure script always has worked at least in my hands.

>> configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH
>>
>> though ld.exe is in the bin directory, what can i do to solve this
>> problem ?
>
>check out the configure script itself where the test is performed, i.e.
>search for "checking for ld used by" and you may see that you'll need to
>add Win32 path style to match certain conditions within the configure
>script so ld is recognized.
>
>At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
>recognizing ld in my experience.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>Stipe
>
>--
>Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
>
>Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
> http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
>
>Department of Economical Computer Science
>University of Cologne, Germany
>

>--

* Re: no acceptable ld
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i tried to compile CILK ( http://supertech.lcs.mit.edu/cilk/ )
> and i got this error message:
>
> checking for ld used by GCC... no
> configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH
>
> though ld.exe is in the bin directory, what can i do to solve this
> problem ?

check out the configure script itself where the test is performed, i.e.
search for "checking for ld used by" and you may see that you'll need to
add Win32 path style to match certain conditions within the configure
script so ld is recognized.

At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
recognizing ld in my experience.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* no acceptable ld
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 20:47 22/02/99 -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

>>> At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
>>> recognizing ld in my experience.
>>
>>I had the same problem, but if you just set the LD enviroment variable,
>>you mightn't need to change the configure script -
>>
>>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>>
>>Just make sure the path is correct.
>>

>Theoretically it supposed to work.  But; it does not awlays by doing
>export... before using configure script.  Many Configure scripts apprantly
>ignore it and seach for LD="$..." whatever.  Hardcoding the ld.exe path in
>configure works at least always in my hands.

might be worth reporting the pb to the automake list ?

* Re: no acceptable ld
@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Julian Kinraid
From: Julian Kinraid @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] ` < 000d01be5ece$7d491cd0$3768d1d0@hunda >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
>> recognizing ld in my experience.
>
>I had the same problem, but if you just set the LD enviroment variable,
>you mightn't need to change the configure script -
>
>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>
>Just make sure the path is correct.

Theoretically it supposed to work.  But; it does not awlays by doing
export... before using configure script.  Many Configure scripts apprantly
ignore it and seach for LD="$..." whatever.  Hardcoding the ld.exe path in
configure works at least always in my hands.

Suhaib

>--
>Julian Kinraid
>
>--

* RE: no acceptable ld
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Colman Curtin
From: Colman Curtin @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>i tried to compile CILK ( http://supertech.lcs.mit.edu/cilk/ )
>and i got this error message:
>
>checking for ld used by GCC... no
>configure: error: no acceptable ld found in $PATH
search the mail archives as there was a problem like this reported within
the past 2 months.
its to do with cygnus ld returning a win32 style path which confuses
configure.
rgds,

Colman Curtin	Software Team Leader
*Trintech - The Secure Way to Pay*
Trintech Technologies Ltd,
South County Business Park,
Leopardstown, Dublin 18, Ireland.
Tel: +353-1-207-4000
Fax: +353-1-207-4015
mailto:colman.curtin@trintech.com
http://www.trintech.com/

If Presidents don't do it to their wives, they do it to the
country.

Mel Brooks

@ 1999-02-22 22:27   ` Sebastien Barre
From: Sebastien Barre @ 1999-02-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-02-22 17:47 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 000d01be5ece$7d491cd0$3768d1d0@hunda >
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-02-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> At least for some configure scripts this has been the problem for not
>> recognizing ld in my experience.
>
>I had the same problem, but if you just set the LD enviroment variable,
>you mightn't need to change the configure script -
>
>export LD=/cygwin/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe
>
>Just make sure the path is correct.

Theoretically it supposed to work.  But; it does not awlays by doing
export... before using configure script.  Many Configure scripts apprantly
ignore it and seach for LD="$..." whatever.  Hardcoding the ld.exe path in
configure works at least always in my hands.

Suhaib

>--
>Julian Kinraid
>
>--