* Freeciv Binaries
@ 1999-03-11 12:03 Russell K. Thompson II
       [not found] ` < 36E82137.95FAF831@students.uwf.edu >
From: Russell K. Thompson II @ 1999-03-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin list

	I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
available from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael/B20/
on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
the following message

BASH.EXE-2.02$ civclient
1: Using fallback resources - which is OK
1: Your getpwuid call failed.  Please report this.
[main] C:\CYGNUS\USR\LOCAL\BIN\CIVCLIENT.EXE 1001 (0) handle_exceptions:
Excepti
on: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
[main] CIVCLIENT 1001 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to
CIVCLIENT.EX
E.core
BASH.EXE-2.02$
	When this happens my X server crashes.

	My X server is X-Win32 from starnet.  If anyone has any ideas please
let me know.
THank You.

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found] ` < 36E82137.95FAF831@students.uwf.edu >
@ 1999-03-11 14:48   ` Michael Hirmke
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-11 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Russell,

>	I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
>available from
> ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael
>/B20/ on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get

As the README states:

   - system
     - WinNT 4.0 SP3 with cygwin B20.1 and egcs-1.1.1

it hasn't been tested on any Win9x system.

>BASH.EXE-2.02$ civclient
>1: Using fallback resources - which is OK
>1: Your getpwuid call failed.  Please report this.
>[main] C:\CYGNUS\USR\LOCAL\BIN\CIVCLIENT.EXE 1001 (0) handle_exceptions:
>Excepti on: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>[main] CIVCLIENT 1001 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to
>CIVCLIENT.EXE.core

It also states

   - notes
     - civclient still (like on B19) tends to core-dump at a certain
       maximum shell environment size or number of environment
       variables. Unfortunately there seems to be no specific point
       when this limit is reached. So just try.

so there are problems even on NT! Perhaps this is exactly your
problem,too?

[...]
>let me know.
>THank You.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://aquarius.franken.de/

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
@ 1999-03-11 16:02     ` Stipe Tolj
       [not found]     ` < 7Ced7NPppfB@mike.franken.de >
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-11 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi Russell,
>
> >       I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
> >available from
> > ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael
> >/B20/ on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
>
> As the README states:
>
>    - system
>      - WinNT 4.0 SP3 with cygwin B20.1 and egcs-1.1.1
>
> it hasn't been tested on any Win9x system.

I had ported FreeCIV some time ago under b19 and b20 on Win98 and both
server and client were working quite fine, even for some 2 hour sessions
(using X-Win32 from StarNet).

I may put my port as binary and source form to our project's web site if
there is interest.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
@ 1999-03-11 17:42       ` Russell K. Thompson II
       [not found]         ` < 36E870BD.4185C056@students.uwf.edu >
From: Russell K. Thompson II @ 1999-03-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tolj; +Cc: Michael Hirmke, cygwin

Stipe Tolj wrote:

> Michael Hirmke wrote:
> >
> > Hi Russell,
> >
> > >       I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
> > >available from
> > > ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael
> > >/B20/ on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
> >
> > As the README states:
> >
> >    - system
> >      - WinNT 4.0 SP3 with cygwin B20.1 and egcs-1.1.1
> >
> > it hasn't been tested on any Win9x system.
> >

> I had ported FreeCIV some time ago under b19 and b20 on Win98 and both
> server and client were working quite fine, even for some 2 hour sessions
> (using X-Win32 from StarNet).
>
> I may put my port as binary and source form to our project's web site if
> there is interest.

I am very interested.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would make
these
available.

> Regards,
> Stipe
>
> --
> Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
>
> Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
> http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin
>
> Department of Economical Computer Science
> University of Cologne, Germany
>
> --

* RE: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found]     ` < 7Ced7NPppfB@mike.franken.de >
@ 1999-03-11 20:02       ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Hirmke', cygwin

I'd just like to mention that I was running Freeciv with Cygwin 19.1 under
Win 95 fine.  No crashes or core dumps.  It was just slow when the game
had many units active (later in the game).

When I upgraded to 20 I had so many problems that I stopped running Cygwin
under 95 (nothing to do with Freeciv though) and began running under NT.

I have absolutely *no* problems running Freeciv under Cygwin 20.1 and NT.

It even compiles with no changes (as long as you have an install that knows
about .exes).

I am using Exceed (commercial X server) though.  I don't know if that's the
difference.

Todd Goodman

* RE: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found]         ` < 36E870BD.4185C056@students.uwf.edu >
@ 1999-03-11 20:13           ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-11 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Russell K. Thompson II', tolj; +Cc: 'Michael Hirmke', cygwin

You can try out a beta 20.1 cygwin build+installer at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/2874 .

Please rename the .zip to .exe and run it.

Please let me know of any comments/criticisms/suggestions/problems.

Thank you,

Todd Goodman

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found] ` < 36E82137.95FAF831@students.uwf.edu >
@ 1999-03-12  7:11   ` Michael Weiser
From: Michael Weiser @ 1999-03-12  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell K. Thompson II; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Russell, you wrote:
>	I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
>available from
> ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael/B20/
>on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
>the following message
As I mentioned in the README, civclient tends to crash. I haven't been
able to figure out why, yet. One reason seems to be environment space.
Try to unset all variables not needed to run civclient. At least for
me that solves the problem. Another solution is to *not* use and hence
not set FREECIV_DATADIR and instead run civclient in a directory
containing the datafiles in a dir named 'data'. If that doesn't help
too I'm outof ideas. Perhaps you could try compiling yourself for your
particular system.

For more on this see my post to the list from 98/9/17 20:20:01 GMT
named 'environment space limit in cygwin32?' and it's follow-ups. The
main Problem seems to be a call to XtAppAddTimeOut at line 403 in
xmain.c causing the following XtVaGetValues to SIGSEGV. Unfortunately
I don't have the time and knowledge to research this in detail.

I'll try to find out more anyway.

>BASH.EXE-2.02$ civclient
>1: Using fallback resources - which is OK
This is normal.

>1: Your getpwuid call failed.  Please report this.
This is new to me. Maybe you don't have a valid /etc/passwd?

>[main] C:\CYGNUS\USR\LOCAL\BIN\CIVCLIENT.EXE 1001 (0) handle_exceptions:
>Excepti
>on: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>[main] CIVCLIENT 1001 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to
>CIVCLIENT.EX
>E.core
>BASH.EXE-2.02$
This is exactly what I get when running civclient without the above
mentioned precautions.

>	When this happens my X server crashes.
>
>	My X server is X-Win32 from starnet.  If anyone has any ideas please
>let me know.
That shouldn't happen, or at least it doesn't happen for me using the
same Server demo version 4.1 build 6.

Hope I could help.
--
bye, Michael

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found] ` < 36E82137.95FAF831@students.uwf.edu >
@ 1999-03-12  9:40   ` Michael Weiser
       [not found]     ` < 36ea4933.31841385@mail.weiser.saale-net.de >
From: Michael Weiser @ 1999-03-12  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell K. Thompson II; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Russell, you wrote:
>	I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
>available from
> ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael/B20/
>on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
>the following message
I've just uploaded brand-new freeciv-1.7.2-b20-binaries to
ftp.franken.de which should show up soon in
/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael/B20/. I
haven't tested them very extensively but civclient starts perfectly
without any core dump. I've tried both Arlindo da Silva's vanilla
X11R6.4 and Sergey Okhapkins X11R6.4 plus my xpm-3.4k binaries. Don't
now what went wrong with my freeciv-1.7.1 binaries.
--
bye, Michael

* X11R6.4
       [not found]     ` < 36ea4933.31841385@mail.weiser.saale-net.de >
@ 1999-03-13 13:39       ` Pierre A. Humblet
       [not found]         ` < 3.0.5.32.19990313164119.00845e50@pop.ne.mediaone.net >
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 1999-03-13 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Weiser; +Cc: cygwin

At 05:11 PM 3/12/99 GMT, Michael Weiser wrote:
> I've tried both Arlindo da Silva's vanilla
>X11R6.4 and Sergey Okhapkins X11R6.4 .....

In addition there is also Andy Piper's on ftp.franken.de...

Did anyone compare the merits and unique features of these ports? Any recommendation?

Pierre

* Re: X11R6.4
       [not found]         ` < 3.0.5.32.19990313164119.00845e50@pop.ne.mediaone.net >
@ 1999-03-14  4:51           ` Michael Weiser
From: Michael Weiser @ 1999-03-14  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre A. Humblet; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Pierre, you wrote:
>At 05:11 PM 3/12/99 GMT, Michael Weiser wrote:
>> I've tried both Arlindo da Silva's vanilla
>>X11R6.4 and Sergey Okhapkins X11R6.4 .....
>In addition there is also Andy Piper's on ftp.franken.de...
As far as I know Andy's distribution bases on Sergey's patches to
X11R6.4 adding some additional ones for making xemacs run smoothly.
Also AFAIK Arlindo's binaries are completely independent of these two.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

>Did anyone compare the merits and unique features of these ports? Any recommendation?
To me Arlindo's distribution seems more complete since it already
includes some window managers, rxvt and (useful for freeciv :-)
libXpm. On the other hand it took longer to be available for B20.1
which was the reason I had to use Sergey's binaries first and compile
libXpm myself first to make freeciv run (just as an example). Of
course I don't know if this will be the same for any upcoming release
of Cygwin.
--
bye, Michael

* Re: Freeciv Binaries
       [not found]     ` < 7Ced7NPppfB@mike.franken.de >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Russell,

>	I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
>available from
> ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael
>/B20/ on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get

As the README states:

   - system
     - WinNT 4.0 SP3 with cygwin B20.1 and egcs-1.1.1

it hasn't been tested on any Win9x system.

>BASH.EXE-2.02$ civclient
>1: Using fallback resources - which is OK
>1: Your getpwuid call failed.  Please report this.
>[main] C:\CYGNUS\USR\LOCAL\BIN\CIVCLIENT.EXE 1001 (0) handle_exceptions:
>Excepti on: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>[main] CIVCLIENT 1001 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to
>CIVCLIENT.EXE.core

It also states

   - notes
     - civclient still (like on B19) tends to core-dump at a certain
       maximum shell environment size or number of environment
       variables. Unfortunately there seems to be no specific point
       when this limit is reached. So just try.

so there are problems even on NT! Perhaps this is exactly your
problem,too?

[...]
>let me know.
>THank You.

Bye.
Michael.
--

@ 1999-03-31 19:45             ` Michael Weiser
From: Michael Weiser @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre A. Humblet; +Cc: cygwin

From: Michael Weiser @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell K. Thompson II; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45       ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` Russell K. Thompson II
From: Russell K. Thompson II @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tolj; +Cc: Michael Hirmke, cygwin

Stipe Tolj wrote:

> Michael Hirmke wrote:
> >
> > Hi Russell,
> >
> > >       I was wondering if anyone has been able to run the freeciv binaries
> > >available from
> > > ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Weiser_Michael
> > >/B20/ on Windows 95.  My server will run fine but when I run the client I get
> >
> > As the README states:
> >
> >    - system
> >      - WinNT 4.0 SP3 with cygwin B20.1 and egcs-1.1.1
> >
> > it hasn't been tested on any Win9x system.
> >

> I had ported FreeCIV some time ago under b19 and b20 on Win98 and both
> server and client were working quite fine, even for some 2 hour sessions
> (using X-Win32 from StarNet).
>
> I may put my port as binary and source form to our project's web site if
> there is interest.

I am very interested.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would make
these
available.

> Regards,
> Stipe
>
> --
> Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
>
> Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
> http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin
>
> Department of Economical Computer Science
> University of Cologne, Germany
>
> --

* RE: Freeciv Binaries
@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Hirmke', cygwin

I'd just like to mention that I was running Freeciv with Cygwin 19.1 under
Win 95 fine.  No crashes or core dumps.  It was just slow when the game
had many units active (later in the game).

When I upgraded to 20 I had so many problems that I stopped running Cygwin
under 95 (nothing to do with Freeciv though) and began running under NT.

I have absolutely *no* problems running Freeciv under Cygwin 20.1 and NT.

It even compiles with no changes (as long as you have an install that knows
about .exes).

I am using Exceed (commercial X server) though.  I don't know if that's the
difference.

Todd Goodman

* RE: Freeciv Binaries
@ 1999-03-31 19:45             ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Russell K. Thompson II', tolj; +Cc: 'Michael Hirmke', cygwin

You can try out a beta 20.1 cygwin build+installer at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Corner/2874 .

Please rename the .zip to .exe and run it.

Please let me know of any comments/criticisms/suggestions/problems.

Thank you,

Todd Goodman

* X11R6.4
       [not found]         ` < 3.0.5.32.19990313164119.00845e50@pop.ne.mediaone.net >