From: "Richard Stanton" <stanton@Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
To: <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Subject: cygwin tar program won't create directories on NT machine
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:56:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I have the full cygwin package (20.1) installed on two machines, a Win95
laptop and a NT4 desktop. I've just noticed that the tar.exe program that
comes with the installation refuses to create directories on my NT machine,
but runs fine on my laptop. For example, trying the command

tar -xvf hyperref.tar

(which runs fine on my Win95 machine), I get the following errors on my NT
machine:

tar: hyperref: Could not create directory: Permission denied
hyperref/hyperref.dtx
tar: hyperref/hyperref.dtx: Could not create file: No such file or directory
hyperref/nameref.dtx
tar: hyperref/nameref.dtx: Could not create file: No such file or directory
hyperref/.zipped

etc.

Any ideas what's going on? If I manually create the appropriate directories,
tar will extract the files OK. It's just the directory creation that is a
problem. By the way, the command

md hyperref

typed at the command line works fine, so there's no real problem creating
directories.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton