* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17 12:30 Gary R Van Sickle
From: Gary R Van Sickle @ 2001-11-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the URL of the wishlist?

I don't believe it's posted on a website, it's in the README in
winsup/cinstall.

> Also are the setup sources in cygwin sources?

Yes, they're in CVS under winsup/cinstall.

> How is the setup built... it is not dependant on cygwin (-mno-cygwin
> perhaps)?

At this time, it builds along with the rest of Cygwin.  It is not however
dependant on cygwin1.dll.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 13:56 ` Gary R Van Sickle
From: Gary R Van Sickle @ 2001-11-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2001-11-27 15:00       ` Zdzislaw Sliwinski
From: Zdzislaw Sliwinski @ 2001-11-27 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> option to install ALL the packages with or without source automatically...

Absolutely agree on that.

dishlav

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 14:56       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Heribert Dahms, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 09:52, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> > What you are talking about is metapackages, which are implemented via
> > categories, but need a new screen to allow the choice - simply for user
> > clarity - as setup.exe can handle those packages now.
>

> Right, but the 'Base' category is both a "category" in the sense you
> describe, AND a metapackage(sortof) -- simply because everything in
> 'Base' is automatically installed.
>
> Hence "add foo to 'Base'" really means "add foo to 'required' metapackage".
>
> But I get what you're saying; 'Base' seems to be THE special case.  In
> all other cases, 'categories' != 'metapackage'

Thanks for putting so clearly Chuck, yes that is what I am saying.

Rob

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 14:52       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

>>That's probably not a bad idea.  Robert (Chris? Who maintains less?),
>>should 'less' be added to the Base package?
>>

> I don't think so. Once someone creates a metapackage, or I get the
> clickable categories done, then the sensible user default becaomes
> possible. The issue is that base really needs to be the _base_, not the
> 'end user default' - because some users may want less installed. (No pun
> intended).

Ah, yes of course.  You are correct.

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 14:51     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Heribert Dahms, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-27 14:42   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-27 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heribert Dahms; +Cc: Charles Wilson, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-27 14:36 ` Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2001-11-27 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', Charles Wilson
  Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-scm.com)

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 14:26     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-27 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-27 13:27   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones; +Cc: Stephano Mariani, cygwin

Mark Jones wrote:

> First, thanks for the reply.
>
> I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but I would suggest adding a
> little more to the standard of minimum.  Users of any UNIX like system
> expect more/less to be present.  I think it will turn people off, and Linux
> users that install it will figure the install failed to work properly (like
> my friend and I did) or will think Cygwin just doesn't have less or more
> ported over to it and assume that Cygwin is not mature yet.
>
> That is my thoughts on the matter.

That's probably not a bad idea.  Robert (Chris? Who maintains less?),
should 'less' be added to the Base package?

> As I side note, I would have something other than TWM be the default WM for
> X, anything other than TWM, such as IceWM, FVWM, lesstif's MWM, etc.

That is off-topic for this list.  All X related questions should go to
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 12:43 ` Mark Jones
From: Mark Jones @ 2001-11-27 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Mark

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 11:38         ` Stephano Mariani

From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani; +Cc: Mark Jones, cygwin

@ 2001-11-27 10:56     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Glenn McIntosh; +Cc: cygwin

Roland Glenn McIntosh wrote:

 > Yes, i too noticed a few peculiarities, however i attributed them to
 >  a decision to change the default install of cygwin to a more
 > minimal approach.  Was this the case?
 >
 > I noticed that with the newer setup I have to specify that I want to
 >  install OpenSSH, less, and postgresql, possibly a few other things
 >  that used to be installed by "default"

Right -- because EVERYTHING was installed by default.

 > and which I took for
 > granted when running setup.exe on a new system.  Also - since
 > package moratorium is lifted, can cygipc be included, and marked as
 >  a dependency of postgresql (maybe once the RFC that was posed is
 > answered)?

No, cygipc was excluded for other reasons, not just because of the
moratorium.

To work correctly, IPC functionality should be integrated into the core
cgywin.  But, it is not possible to assign the copyright to Cygnus/Red
Hat because it was taken from the Linux kernel, originally, and is
covered by a multitude of different owners.  (Yes, it's GPL -- but CORE
cygwin components, stuff that goes inside cgywin1.dll, must ALSO be
wholly assigned to Red Hat in addition to the GPLness).

So, we'd have to track down all of those old Linux developers and
convince them to turn over ownership of that portion of code to Red Hat.
   Assuming we could find them all, I don't think they'd agree --
because that copyright assignment would also affect the current IPC code
in the LINUX kernel...

Therefore, the cygwin developers have chosen to redo IPC functionality
from scratch, and work is ongoing.  This isn't as bad an idea as you
might think: even Ludovic Lange, the guy who originally grabbed the
Linux IPC stuff out of the Linux kernel to create cygipc, agrees that
this is the way to go.  CygIPC supports a bare minimum of IPC -- just
enough so that Ludovic's original app worked -- and very little more.
If we start from scratch, we can do it better.

So, why not include cygipc as a non-integral package, like readline or
vim?  Simply expediency.  If we included it, we would lower the desire
of folks to help us with the "real" implementation.  Therefore, we chose
to exclude cygIPC in order to prod folks to help out with the real
cygwin IPC implementation.  (Although, cygIPC is not *disallowed* -- you
can still use it if you want, but you've got to get it from an external
site.  We're not nazis).

Search the cygwin-developers mailing list for "cygwin daemon".

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 10:45     ` Stephano Mariani
From: Stephano Mariani @ 2001-11-27 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Mark Jones; +Cc: cygwin

I and my colleagues share the opinion that the setup should include an
option to install ALL the packages with or without source automatically...

It is a huge pain to manually go through all the packages selecting them
repeatedly since the most recent version isn't always the first to appear.

Perhaps a suggestion made earlier on this list by someone whose name i have
forgotten could be implemented: The setup could be controlled on the
commandline too perhaps with a filename as an argument. The file could
contain all the options required.

Stephano.

From: Roland Glenn McIntosh @ 2001-11-27 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yes, i too noticed a few peculiarities, however i attributed them to a decision to change the default install of cygwin to a more minimal approach.  Was this the case?

I noticed that with the newer setup I have to specify that I want to install OpenSSH, less, and postgresql, possibly a few other things that used to be installed by "default" and which I took for granted when running setup.exe on a new system.  Also - since package moratorium is lifted, can cygipc be included, and marked as a dependency of postgresql (maybe once the RFC that was posed is answered)?

-rgm

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 10:33   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-27 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones; +Cc: cygwin

Mark Jones wrote:

> I tried to install Cygwin at a friend's last night and after it finished he
> did not have the program "less" installed, and his whole cygwin directory
> structure was only about 32 MB in size after the install.  I do not have a
> clean install as a reference point as I've already installed XFree86 on my
> own computer, but my /bin directory is over 50 MB, so if his whole directory
> structure is only 32 MB I suspect he is missing more than just "less".
>
> I have helped others install it on their computers in the past (2-3 months
> ago) and have never had a problem, so I think something may have been broken
> recently in the install program.  I noticed the package listing interface is
> different now that a few months back, so I assume that part has changed,
> perhaps with an additional feature of a new bug.
>
> Mark

* New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-27 10:28 ` Mark Jones
From: Mark Jones @ 2001-11-27 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 17:37     ` Zdzislaw Sliwinski
From: Zdzislaw Sliwinski @ 2001-11-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 17:33     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-17 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Heribert Dahms, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 15:52     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 15:47   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: Heribert Dahms, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 14:54 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heribert Dahms; +Cc: Charles Wilson, Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 13:48 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2001-11-17 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', Charles Wilson
  Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

what do you think about categories like minimal, typical, (custom), full,
new,
with typical as default?

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-scm.com)

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-17 13:44   ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-17 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: Mark Jones, Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17 10:51 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones; +Cc: Stephano Mariani, cygwin

@ 2001-11-17  9:29 Mark Jones
From: Mark Jones @ 2001-11-17  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-11-17  1:43       ` Stephano Mariani

> > I and my colleagues share the opinion that the setup should include an
> > option to install ALL the packages with or without source
automatically...

> > It is a huge pain to manually go through all the packages selecting them
> > repeatedly
>

> Yes, we know.  This is already on the wishlist.
>
> > since the most recent version isn't always the first to appear.
>

> This is a confirmed misfeature, and fixing it is on the wishlist.
>

> > Perhaps a suggestion made earlier on this list by someone whose name i
have
> > forgotten could be implemented: The setup could be controlled on the
> > commandline too perhaps with a filename as an argument. The file could
> > contain all the options required.
>

> Yep, AFAIK this is still being developed.
>
> Ya know, if you provided patches to implement your desired
> functionality, it'd probably get into the official setup.exe
> faster...Robert can't do everything by himself...
>
> --Chuck
>

> --

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-16 22:53     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-16 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephano Mariani; +Cc: Mark Jones, cygwin

@ 2001-11-16 21:18   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Glenn McIntosh; +Cc: cygwin

Roland Glenn McIntosh wrote:

 > Yes, i too noticed a few peculiarities, however i attributed them to
 >  a decision to change the default install of cygwin to a more
 > minimal approach.  Was this the case?
 >
 > I noticed that with the newer setup I have to specify that I want to
 >  install OpenSSH, less, and postgresql, possibly a few other things
 >  that used to be installed by "default"

Right -- because EVERYTHING was installed by default.

 > and which I took for
 > granted when running setup.exe on a new system.  Also - since
 > package moratorium is lifted, can cygipc be included, and marked as
 >  a dependency of postgresql (maybe once the RFC that was posed is
 > answered)?

No, cygipc was excluded for other reasons, not just because of the
moratorium.

To work correctly, IPC functionality should be integrated into the core
cgywin.  But, it is not possible to assign the copyright to Cygnus/Red
Hat because it was taken from the Linux kernel, originally, and is
covered by a multitude of different owners.  (Yes, it's GPL -- but CORE
cygwin components, stuff that goes inside cgywin1.dll, must ALSO be
wholly assigned to Red Hat in addition to the GPLness).

So, we'd have to track down all of those old Linux developers and
convince them to turn over ownership of that portion of code to Red Hat.
   Assuming we could find them all, I don't think they'd agree --
because that copyright assignment would also affect the current IPC code
in the LINUX kernel...

Therefore, the cygwin developers have chosen to redo IPC functionality
from scratch, and work is ongoing.  This isn't as bad an idea as you
might think: even Ludovic Lange, the guy who originally grabbed the
Linux IPC stuff out of the Linux kernel to create cygipc, agrees that
this is the way to go.  CygIPC supports a bare minimum of IPC -- just
enough so that Ludovic's original app worked -- and very little more.
If we start from scratch, we can do it better.

So, why not include cygipc as a non-integral package, like readline or
vim?  Simply expediency.  If we included it, we would lower the desire
of folks to help us with the "real" implementation.  Therefore, we chose
to exclude cygIPC in order to prod folks to help out with the real
cygwin IPC implementation.  (Although, cygIPC is not *disallowed* -- you
can still use it if you want, but you've got to get it from an external
site.  We're not nazis).

Search the cygwin-developers mailing list for "cygwin daemon".

--Chuck

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-16 21:09   ` Stephano Mariani
                       ` (2 more replies)

> Remember all of those complaints on the mailing list about "cygwin is
> too big"?  Remember the acrimony that resulted when we (the list)
> declared that we only support installations that included EVERY cygwin
> package?
>
> The reason was because we had no ability to manage dependencies from
> setup.exe.
>
> The new setup DOES handle dependencies, so if you select 'vim' you'll
> automatically get 'ncurses', etc.  Therefore, we can now allow/support
> partial installations.
>
> Concommitant with that, the default installation is now a bare minimum
> of packages -- if you want more, you have to explicitly select the
> additional packages.
>
> --Chuck
>

> Mark Jones wrote:
>
> > I tried to install Cygwin at a friend's last night and after it finished
he
> > did not have the program "less" installed, and his whole cygwin
directory
> > structure was only about 32 MB in size after the install.  I do not have
> > clean install as a reference point as I've already installed XFree86 on
my
> > own computer, but my /bin directory is over 50 MB, so if his whole
directory
> > structure is only 32 MB I suspect he is missing more than just "less".
> >
> > I have helped others install it on their computers in the past (2-3
months
> > ago) and have never had a problem, so I think something may have been
broken
> > recently in the install program.  I noticed the package listing
interface is
> > different now that a few months back, so I assume that part has changed,
> > perhaps with an additional feature of a new bug.
> >
> > Mark

__
> > Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite
Messenger
> > http://messenger.excite.com
> >

> > --
> >

> --

* Re: New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-16 17:49 ` Roland Glenn McIntosh
From: Roland Glenn McIntosh @ 2001-11-16 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-11-16 17:47 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Jones; +Cc: cygwin

Mark Jones wrote:

> I tried to install Cygwin at a friend's last night and after it finished he
> did not have the program "less" installed, and his whole cygwin directory
> structure was only about 32 MB in size after the install.  I do not have a
> clean install as a reference point as I've already installed XFree86 on my
> own computer, but my /bin directory is over 50 MB, so if his whole directory
> structure is only 32 MB I suspect he is missing more than just "less".
>
> I have helped others install it on their computers in the past (2-3 months
> ago) and have never had a problem, so I think something may have been broken
> recently in the install program.  I noticed the package listing interface is
> different now that a few months back, so I assume that part has changed,
> perhaps with an additional feature of a new bug.
>
> Mark

* New Install May Have a Bug
@ 2001-11-16 16:30 Mark Jones
                   ` (2 more replies)