* where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 11:57 Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 2000-12-17 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    I've programmed a Spam complaint tool for Emacs/Gnus (Lisp) years
    ago when I worked with HP unixes. Now I'm learning to use Cygwin
    with Win98. The tool uses heuristics to examine the email Header
    and nslookup to verify the correct DNS entries.

    I noticed that nslookup is not part of cygwin. Would anyone point
    me to the right "nslookup" that is most appropriate for
    cygwin platform.

    I didn't see any ports in the Franken ls-lR list

    Jari

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 13:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sunday 17 December 2000 20:58, Jari Aalto wrote:
> I've programmed a Spam complaint tool for Emacs/Gnus (Lisp) years
>     ago when I worked with HP unixes. Now I'm learning to use Cygwin
>     with Win98. The tool uses heuristics to examine the email Header
>     and nslookup to verify the correct DNS entries.
>
>     I noticed that nslookup is not part of cygwin. Would anyone point
>     me to the right "nslookup" that is most appropriate for
>     cygwin platform.
>
>     I didn't see any ports in the Franken ls-lR list

nslookup is part of the base NT systems so there's perhaps no big
interest in a special port. However, there's a bind-4.9.7 distro
which you can find in

	ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/contrib/ntbind/

A nslookup which runs even on the 9x command line is part of the
package.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 14:52   ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-17 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have bind-8.2.2-patchlevel-7 ported, if anybody's interested.

@ 2000-12-17 15:13     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sunday 17 December 2000 23:51, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> I have bind-8.2.2-patchlevel-7 ported, if anybody's interested.

Simply upload to ftp.franken.de. You will get your own porters
directory if you follow the directions on

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/How_to_upload_to_German_GNUWin32_site.att

Just one additional hint: Send a short email to Michael Hirmke
( mailto:mh@mike.franken.de ) to keep him informed when you have
upload the package. The automatic mailing mechanism on ftp.franken.de
is currently broken, unfortunately.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 18:47       ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

On 18 Dec 2000, at 0:13, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sunday 17 December 2000 23:51, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> > I have bind-8.2.2-patchlevel-7 ported, if anybody's interested.
>
> Simply upload to ftp.franken.de. You will get your own porters
> directory if you follow the directions on
>
> ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael/How_to_upload_to_German_GNUWin32_site.att

A clarification on source format:
If I upload the source tarball, do I just upload my patches or do I
upload the source directory that I used after my patches are
applied?  If so, how do I provide the patches as part of the
distribution? That is, if there is already a patched source directory,
then the patches are redundant.

@ 2000-12-17 19:31         ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 18:46 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
>A clarification on source format:
>If I upload the source tarball, do I just upload my patches or do I
>upload the source directory that I used after my patches are
>applied?  If so, how do I provide the patches as part of the
>distribution? That is, if there is already a patched source directory,
>then the patches are redundant.

see the faq entry: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC76
which refers to: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00055.html
which answers your question.

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally
    http://ibm.com/linux/

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 20:44           ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-12-17 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Abbey; +Cc: cygwin

Chris Abbey wrote:

> At 18:46 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> >A clarification on source format:
> >If I upload the source tarball, do I just upload my patches or do I
> >upload the source directory that I used after my patches are
> >applied?  If so, how do I provide the patches as part of the
> >distribution? That is, if there is already a patched source directory,
> >then the patches are redundant.
>
> see the faq entry: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC76
> which refers to: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00055.html
> which answers your question.

Well, Stephen was asking about how to prepare source tarballs for the
franken.de ftp site, not for the official distribution.  But it probably
doesn't hurt to do it the same way for both sites...

--Chuck

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-17 20:51           ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-17 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Abbey, cygwin

On 17 Dec 2000, at 21:31, Chris Abbey wrote:

> At 18:46 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> >A clarification on source format:
> >If I upload the source tarball, do I just upload my patches or do I
> >upload the source directory that I used after my patches are
> >applied?  If so, how do I provide the patches as part of the
> >distribution? That is, if there is already a patched source directory,
> >then the patches are redundant.
>
> see the faq entry: http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC76
> which refers to: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00055.html
> which answers your question.

Thank you for the reply.  This does NOT entirely answer my question.

Step 7.  modify the top level makefile to install
CYGWIN-PATCHES/tex-4.0.README into /usr/doc/Cygwin/

How do I do this?

Also, looking in ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/incoming , I
see files *.cygwin.BUILDLOG.gz, *.cygwin.PATCH.gz, *.cygwin.README,
*.cygwin.tar.gz, and *.src.tar.gz.

Everything I understand except for the *.src.tar.gz.  Is this the patched or
the unpatched vanilla version of the source tarball?

The web page says:
"Now, you've got
  tex-4.0-1-src.tar.gz
    the pre-patched, cygwin-specific source
    code for the package"

How can it be pre-patched and ALSO cygwin-specific??

@ 2000-12-17 21:24             ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 20:50 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
>Thank you for the reply.  This does NOT entirely answer my question.

hmm... as has been pointed out, I didn't realize the difference
between preparing tarballs for the main distro and for the franken.de
server, those details will have to wait for someone more familiar
with the franken.de way of doing things to come on line. :( sorry.

 > How can it be pre-patched and ALSO cygwin-specific??

in this case I'd interpret "pre-patched" as "previously patched",
not "before being patched". So the tarball is already containing
the cygwin specific code.

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally
    http://ibm.com/linux/

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-18  0:44               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-18  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 18 December 2000 06:24, Chris Abbey wrote:
> At 20:50 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> >Thank you for the reply.  This does NOT entirely answer my question.
>
> hmm... as has been pointed out, I didn't realize the difference
> between preparing tarballs for the main distro and for the franken.de
> server, those details will have to wait for someone more familiar
> with the franken.de way of doing things to come on line. :( sorry.
>
>  > How can it be pre-patched and ALSO cygwin-specific??
>
> in this case I'd interpret "pre-patched" as "previously patched",
> not "before being patched". So the tarball is already containing
> the cygwin specific code.

Create a patched source archive and a separate patch file. This should
accomodate all needs.

BTW: Please build your binary package so that it uses /usr/local as
prefix (which should be the default) and not /usr. This way it's easier
to distinguish between packages from the base distribution and external
packages.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-18 23:36                 ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-18 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

On 18 Dec 2000, at 9:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Monday 18 December 2000 06:24, Chris Abbey wrote:
> > At 20:50 12/17/00 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> > >Thank you for the reply.  This does NOT entirely answer my question.
> >
> > hmm... as has been pointed out, I didn't realize the difference
> > between preparing tarballs for the main distro and for the franken.de
> > server, those details will have to wait for someone more familiar
> > with the franken.de way of doing things to come on line. :( sorry.
> >
> >  > How can it be pre-patched and ALSO cygwin-specific??
> >
> > in this case I'd interpret "pre-patched" as "previously patched",
> > not "before being patched". So the tarball is already containing
> > the cygwin specific code.
>
> Create a patched source archive and a separate patch file. This should
> accomodate all needs.
>
> BTW: Please build your binary package so that it uses /usr/local as
> prefix (which should be the default) and not /usr. This way it's easier
> to distinguish between packages from the base distribution and external
> packages.

I have no problem with this, and I happen to agree that this is the
way it should be... however, this will break compiles of external
packages in cygwin that need the installed include files because of
the system search order in gcc that is configured by cygwin.

See my post entitled: "strange GCC system include search order".

What this forces people to do is:
export 'CFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include'

which seems wrong to me; i.e. it is defined as a system include path
in most if not all other installations of gcc on Unix.

@ 2000-12-19  2:53                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-19  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 08:35, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2000, at 9:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > BTW: Please build your binary package so that it uses /usr/local as
> > prefix (which should be the default) and not /usr. This way it's
> > easier to distinguish between packages from the base distribution
> > and external packages.
>
> I have no problem with this, and I happen to agree that this is the
> way it should be... however, this will break compiles of external
> packages in cygwin that need the installed include files because of
> the system search order in gcc that is configured by cygwin.
>
> See my post entitled: "strange GCC system include search order".
>
> What this forces people to do is:
> export 'CFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include'
>
> which seems wrong to me; i.e. it is defined as a system include path
> in most if not all other installations of gcc on Unix.

You are right but this shouldn't influence your package. It's a problem
in the gcc configuration. IMO this should be changed in gcc but not
result in changing the package scheme.

BTW: I don't have that problem since I have set the environment
variables C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH to /usr/local/include.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-19  3:24                     ` Stephen C. Biggs
From: Stephen C. Biggs @ 2000-12-19  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

On 19 Dec 2000, at 11:53, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 December 2000 08:35, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> > On 18 Dec 2000, at 9:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > BTW: Please build your binary package so that it uses /usr/local as
> > > prefix (which should be the default) and not /usr. This way it's
> > > easier to distinguish between packages from the base distribution
> > > and external packages.
> >
> > I have no problem with this, and I happen to agree that this is the
> > way it should be... however, this will break compiles of external
> > packages in cygwin that need the installed include files because of
> > the system search order in gcc that is configured by cygwin.
> >
> > See my post entitled: "strange GCC system include search order".
> >
> > What this forces people to do is:
> > export 'CFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include'
> >
> > which seems wrong to me; i.e. it is defined as a system include path
> > in most if not all other installations of gcc on Unix.
>
> You are right but this shouldn't influence your package. It's a problem
> in the gcc configuration. IMO this should be changed in gcc but not
> result in changing the package scheme.
>
> BTW: I don't have that problem since I have set the environment
> variables C_INCLUDE_PATH and CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH to /usr/local/include.

Thanks.  Am I right in assuming that the correct way to set these
variables is in /etc/profile as so:

export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include

@ 2000-12-19  4:07                       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-19  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 12:23, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
>> Thanks.  Am I right in assuming that the correct way to set these
> variables is in /etc/profile as so:
>
> export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include
> export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/include

Yep. both variables may take PATH-like path lists, colon separated.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-19  4:35 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2000-12-19  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<19 Dec 2000, 12:45 Uhr wars, als Pablo Ruiz Garcia folgendes schrub:>
< Re: where to find nslookup for Cygw >

> Actually there is some similar to a "distro", this is what
> cygwin setup installs, and all the installed files are listed on
> /etc/setup/*. RPM is good enought to make *contribution* packages,
> probable better than tar+gz, and tar+bz2, but by now RPM
> is not part of the official-cygwin-release/distro
> it makes me dont want rpm to be on /usr instead of /usr/local.

I think, it is no problem, to include the sources of tar and gzip in
the setup.exe, and it would be much more work, to use rpm.

Like it is, it works fine.

tar+gz and tar+bz2 are much more standard than other pack-mechanisms.

Ciao,

--
=^..^=
Gerrit Peter Haase

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-19  4:23 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-19  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tuesday 19 December 2000 12:45, Pablo Ruiz Garcia wrote:
> Linux is "suposed" our reference model, but Cygwin is not unix,
> not linux and also not Windows, its cygwin..
>
> Actually there is some similar to a "distro", this is what
> cygwin setup installs, and all the installed files are listed on
> /etc/setup/*. RPM is good enought to make *contribution* packages,
> probable better than tar+gz, and tar+bz2, but by now RPM
> is not part of the official-cygwin-release/distro
> it makes me dont want rpm to be on /usr instead of /usr/local.
>
> And wen i talk about RPM, i talk about sendmail, bind, perl,
> whatever you compile and distribute.
>
> Everyway you can do whatever you like, but it's not the correct way
> to go.
>
> If linux is our "supposed" reference model, i think (may be i'm
> foolish) on fsstnd, but today everybody (starting at redhat [sorry])
> does what they want.

I think I don't understand exactly what your problem here is.

If you talking about Linux, you always have a base distro and
external packages which you install from an external source.

Personally, I would never install any package from an external source
into the / and /usr paths but always into /usr/local. Except if the
external package is intended to replace a distro package, perhaps.

Sure, packages as rpm, sendmail, bind, etc. are part of the base distro
of Linuxes but they aren't (currently!) part of the base distro
of Cygwin. If an external package becomes part of the base distro it
will have the appropriate install paths.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: where to find nslookup for Cygwin?
@ 2000-12-19  3:43 Pablo Ruiz Garcia
From: Pablo Ruiz Garcia @ 2000-12-19  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 23:35:33 -0800, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2000, at 9:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > hmm... as has been pointed out, I didn't realize the difference
> > > between preparing tarballs for the main distro and for the franken.de
> > > server, those details will have to wait for someone more familiar
> > > with the franken.de way of doing things to come on line. :( sorry.
> > >
> > >  > How can it be pre-patched and ALSO cygwin-specific??
> > >
> > > in this case I'd interpret "pre-patched" as "previously patched",
> > > not "before being patched". So the tarball is already containing
> > > the cygwin specific code.
> >
> > Create a patched source archive and a separate patch file. This should
> > accomodate all needs.
> >
> > BTW: Please build your binary package so that it uses /usr/local as
> > prefix (which should be the default) and not /usr. This way it's easier
> > to distinguish between packages from the base distribution and external
> > packages.
>
> I have no problem with this, and I happen to agree that this is the
> way it should be... however, this will break compiles of external
> packages in cygwin that need the installed include files because of
> the system search order in gcc that is configured by cygwin.
>
> See my post entitled: "strange GCC system include search order".
>
> What this forces people to do is:
> export 'CFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include'
>
> which seems wrong to me; i.e. it is defined as a system include path
> in most if not all other installations of gcc on Unix.

Well, i feel strange.

Linux is "suposed" our reference model, but Cygwin is not unix,
not linux and also not Windows, its cygwin..

Actually there is some similar to a "distro", this is what
cygwin setup installs, and all the installed files are listed on
/etc/setup/*. RPM is good enought to make *contribution* packages,
probable better than tar+gz, and tar+bz2, but by now RPM
is not part of the official-cygwin-release/distro
it makes me dont want rpm to be on /usr instead of /usr/local.

And wen i talk about RPM, i talk about sendmail, bind, perl,
whatever you compile and distribute.

Everyway you can do whatever you like, but it's not the correct way to go.

If linux is our "supposed" reference model, i think (may be i'm foolish)
on fsstnd, but today everybody (starting at redhat [sorry])
does what they want.

Another time, it's my personal opinion, and i don't wan't any kind
of war about fsstnd, redhat, ports, sex, beer, or whatever.

--
Pablo Ruiz Garcia (Pci)
Consultor de Seguridad