* Available for test:  tar 1.13.8-1
@ 2000-12-17 18:14 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At Corinna's request, I've put up a new version of tar on
sources.redhat.com.

This version fixes a bug with excluding files.  It also incorporates a
native '-j' switch which causes tar to use bzip to compress and
uncompress.  This replaces the previous -y option.

Otherwise, this version has all of the changes that I put into the
previous version for dealing with text/binary file problems.

Please send questions and observations to cygwin@cygwin.com.

Thanks,

cgf

* Re: Available for test:  tar 1.13.8-1
@ 2000-12-17 18:27 ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-12-17 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

At 21:13 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>This version fixes a bug with excluding files.  It also incorporates a
>native '-j' switch which causes tar to use bzip to compress and
>uncompress.  This replaces the previous -y option.

ugh. so there are now *four* different switches for bz2?
I really wish we could all pick one and standardize on it,
or has that happened somewhere and it's 'j'? if so point me
to the "official standard declaration" somewhere... 'cuz there
are a couple other packagers I wanna beat over the head with it
until they match. :\

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally
    http://ibm.com/linux/

* Re: Available for test:  tar 1.13.8-1
@ 2000-12-17 18:39   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-12-17 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 08:27:51PM -0600, Chris Abbey wrote:
>At 21:13 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>This version fixes a bug with excluding files.  It also incorporates a
>>native '-j' switch which causes tar to use bzip to compress and
>>uncompress.  This replaces the previous -y option.
>
>ugh. so there are now *four* different switches for bz2?
>I really wish we could all pick one and standardize on it,
>or has that happened somewhere and it's 'j'? if so point me
>to the "official standard declaration" somewhere... 'cuz there
>are a couple other packagers I wanna beat over the head with it
>until they match. :\

This is the sources right from gnu.org.  -j is the official switch.
That's what I meant by "native".

@ 2000-12-18  0:55     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-12-18  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Monday 18 December 2000 03:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 08:27:51PM -0600, Chris Abbey wrote:
> >At 21:13 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>This version fixes a bug with excluding files.  It also
> >> incorporates a native '-j' switch which causes tar to use bzip to
> >> compress and uncompress.  This replaces the previous -y option.
> >
> >ugh. so there are now *four* different switches for bz2?
> >I really wish we could all pick one and standardize on it,
> >or has that happened somewhere and it's 'j'? if so point me
> >to the "official standard declaration" somewhere... 'cuz there
> >are a couple other packagers I wanna beat over the head with it
> >until they match. :\
>
> This is the sources right from gnu.org.  -j is the official switch.
> That's what I meant by "native".

Unfortunately the only `stable' option seems to be `--bzip2'.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Available for test:  tar 1.13.8-1
@ 2000-12-18  6:11 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-12-18  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Abbey, cygwin

--- Chris Abbey <cabbey@bresnanlink.net> wrote:
> At 21:13 12/17/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >This version fixes a bug with excluding files.  It also incorporates a
> >native '-j' switch which causes tar to use bzip to compress and
> >uncompress.  This replaces the previous -y option.
>
> ugh. so there are now *four* different switches for bz2?
> I really wish we could all pick one and standardize on it,
> or has that happened somewhere and it's 'j'? if so point me
> to the "official standard declaration" somewhere... 'cuz there
> are a couple other packagers I wanna beat over the head with it
> until they match. :\

I just use --use-compress-program=bzip2 and I'm done with it.  Actually, I was
just thinking what needs to be done is to remove all of the short switches and
force the long ones.  Support for an environment variable named COMPRESS for
the user defined default would also be nice.  Remove --use-compress-program and
change --compress to do what it does but default to gzip (or the user specified
COMPRESS) if no program is given.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd