* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-15 19:29 Arthur I Schwarz
From: Arthur I Schwarz @ 2005-07-15 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ramon; +Cc: cygwin

>Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?

I have continuous problems installing. Setup ungracefully crashes when
either an install is attempted on a file not downloaded or if the setup.ini
has an unresolvable reference. Hence I have a strategy to installing. If
all else fails:

1. Go to the registry and delete all entries to 'cygwin' and 'cygnus' and
'red hat' if appropriate.
2. I always save the old cygwin (C:/cygwin -> C:/cygwin.old), and
3. Create a new cygwin root (C:/cygwin), and then
4. Do a reinstall.

Occassionally setup will corrupt the installation so that it is
unrecoverable - which seems to be what you are experiencing. Repeat above.

I've tried to identify and fix setup errors but can't seem to get it
compiled and linked. So I gave up. But there does appear to be some
ungraceful coding in setup - and lest I get flamed - Cygwin and the Cygwin
staff to a person seem excellent.

art

* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-15 19:51 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-15 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:29:18PM -0700, Arthur I Schwarz wrote:
>>Can anybody diagnose this problem?  Thanks in advance /r?
>
>I have continuous problems installing.  Setup ungracefully crashes when
>either an install is attempted on a file not downloaded or if the
>setup.ini has an unresolvable reference.  Hence I have a strategy to
>installing.  If all else fails:
>
>1.  Go to the registry and delete all entries to 'cygwin' and 'cygnus'
>and 'red hat' if appropriate.  2.  I always save the old cygwin
>(C:/cygwin -> C:/cygwin.old), and 3.  Create a new cygwin root
>(C:/cygwin), and then 4.  Do a reinstall.
>
>Occassionally setup will corrupt the installation so that it is
>unrecoverable - which seems to be what you are experiencing.  Repeat
>above.
>
>I've tried to identify and fix setup errors but can't seem to get it
>compiled and linked.  So I gave up.  But there does appear to be some
>ungraceful coding in setup - and lest I get flamed - Cygwin and the
>Cygwin staff to a person seem excellent.

Max, Brian, Igor, et al: Please clean up that ungraceful setup.exe
coding NOW!

Here's something to inspire you in this task: http://tinyurl.com/9no7t

HTH,
cgf

* RE: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-20 21:47 ` Ramón Fallon
From: Ramón Fallon @ 2005-07-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you very much art for your answer.

lack of grace is the penalty for putting theory into practice! It's not
a huge surprise, but your answer tells me where the land might lie with
this one. cheers.

* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-26  4:32   ` Alan Wehmann
From: Alan Wehmann @ 2005-07-26  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After further investigation I realized that I should try "rebaseall" to fix
this problem.  That did fix it.  A good reference was the latest announcement
of the "rebaseall" package.

* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-25  0:04 ` Alan Wehmann
From: Alan Wehmann @ 2005-07-25  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ramón Fallon <ramon <at> usofm.com> writes:

. . .
> However on the installation the second time around I start getting this
> error:
> bash-3.00 # ls
> 17797832 [main] bash 3468 fork_copy: linked dll/bss pass 0 failed,
> 0x675000..0x6756A0, done 0, windows pid 2708, Win 32 error 487
> bash: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

. . .
> Now I said almost everything gives an error rending cygwin useless but
> one or two things *do* work:
> - echo works, and will pipe to a file, but using cat then does not work
> - pwd works flawlessly (coo!)
> - cd works
> Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?

I see virtually the same problem, but from within the shell buffer using
XEmacs.  I don't see it with the Cygwin console window (started from the Cygwin
icon on my desktop).

The commands that are listed as working by Ramon(echo, pwd, cd) are "shell
builtin commands".

The problem started yesterday, after I used the Cygwin setup executable on my
Windows XP Home laptop to update Cygwin.  Prior to that I didn't have this
problem.

The version of XEmacs is

XEmacs 21.4 (patch 8) "Honest Recruiter (Windows [3])" [Lucid] (i586-pc-win32)
of Sun Jun 16 2002 on TSUNAMI

* RE: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-20 22:29   ` Ramón Fallon
From: Ramón Fallon @ 2005-07-20 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cygwin List'

Thank you very much Larry for your answer.

Yes, I've been through those things, no second cygwin1.dll. I have
cygwin running on xp home quite well, but I may just try to sneek in a
copy of cygwin1.dll somewhere and see if I can repeat this error on it.

* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-14 21:15 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-07-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ramón Fallon, cygwin

At 05:31 PM 7/14/2005, you wrote:
>Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?

Let's start here.

My WAG is that you have another cygwin1.dll around or that you needed to
reboot after the install and didn't.  But that's just a WAG based on
minimal information. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746

* 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-14 20:28 Ramón Fallon
From: Ramón Fallon @ 2005-07-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi

I'm running xp pro on an ibm t41 after upgrading from w2k where cygwin
worked fine. I installed cygwin on the new OS, but without downloading
the setup prog to harddisk (i was in a hurry), then suddenly I realised
I needed more packages. I'll admit to running a command or two and not
seeing anything, but quickly I decided to de-install and then download
the set up file properly, pretty anal I know ...

However on the installation the second time around I start getting this
error:
bash-3.00 # ls
17797832 [main] bash 3468 fork_copy: linked dll/bss pass 0 failed,
0x675000..0x6756A0, done 0, windows pid 2708, Win 32 error 487
bash: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

This happens to slmost all commands, where the error is the same except
for the first 8 digit number and the windows pid - those two always
vary, *even* when it's the same command I type.

Reading the archive I tried out a few things:

- rebaseall, I have it installed but also gives this error
- deleted the program and directory and appropriate registry keys as per
some posts I read. Then reinstalled but same behaviour ensued.