* Re: 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-15 19:29 Arthur I Schwarz
From: Arthur I Schwarz @ 2005-07-15 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ramon; +Cc: cygwin

>Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?

I have continuous problems installing. Setup ungracefully crashes when
either an install is attempted on a file not downloaded or if the setup.ini
has an unresolvable reference. Hence I have a strategy to installing. If
all else fails:

1. Go to the registry and delete all entries to 'cygwin' and 'cygnus' and
'red hat' if appropriate.
2. I always save the old cygwin (C:/cygwin -> C:/cygwin.old), and
3. Create a new cygwin root (C:/cygwin), and then
4. Do a reinstall.

Occassionally setup will corrupt the installation so that it is
unrecoverable - which seems to be what you are experiencing. Repeat above.

I've tried to identify and fix setup errors but can't seem to get it
compiled and linked. So I gave up. But there does appear to be some
ungraceful coding in setup - and lest I get flamed - Cygwin and the Cygwin
staff to a person seem excellent.

art

* 0x6756a0 win32 error renders cygwin almost useless
@ 2005-07-14 20:28 Ramón Fallon
From: Ramón Fallon @ 2005-07-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi

I'm running xp pro on an ibm t41 after upgrading from w2k where cygwin
worked fine. I installed cygwin on the new OS, but without downloading
the setup prog to harddisk (i was in a hurry), then suddenly I realised
I needed more packages. I'll admit to running a command or two and not
seeing anything, but quickly I decided to de-install and then download
the set up file properly, pretty anal I know ...

However on the installation the second time around I start getting this
error:
bash-3.00 # ls
17797832 [main] bash 3468 fork_copy: linked dll/bss pass 0 failed,
0x675000..0x6756A0, done 0, windows pid 2708, Win 32 error 487
bash: fork: resource temporarily unavailable

This happens to slmost all commands, where the error is the same except
for the first 8 digit number and the windows pid - those two always
vary, *even* when it's the same command I type.

Reading the archive I tried out a few things:

- rebaseall, I have it installed but also gives this error
- deleted the program and directory and appropriate registry keys as per
some posts I read. Then reinstalled but same behaviour ensued.

Now I said almost everything gives an error rending cygwin useless but
one or two things *do* work:
- echo works, and will pipe to a file, but using cat then does not work
- pwd works flawlessly (coo!)
- cd works
Can anybody diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance /r?