* Setup  hanging while downloading
@ 2002-07-11  8:38 Tackett, Galen
From: Tackett, Galen @ 2002-07-11  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

When I select "Download from the Internet" or "Install from the Internet"
and have a bunch of packages selected, Setup almost always seems to get hung
up while downloading one of the first few files, no matter what FTP or HTTP
mirror I try to use. (I haven't heard of any way to get setup.exe to use an
rsync mirror, or I'd try that.) I've tried at various times of day with no
difference.

Also please note that from my web browser or FTP I am able to download very
large files from any number of other sites.

I am using the recent v2.249.2.5 release of setup, but I also had problems
with the prior version hanging up within a couple of minutes after starting
a download.

The problem may very well have to do with momentary bandwidth limitations
somewhere on the net, perhaps even on our intranet--but why should that make
setup hang, instead of just waiting for the transfer to continue?

Thanks,

Galen

* RE: Setup  hanging while downloading
@ 2002-07-11 16:35 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-11 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tackett, Galen', 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

This shoiuldn't happen - but as discussed here, can happen with FTP.
There's some work in progress that will likely lead to an FTP correction
in the next release or two.

> Also please note that from my web browser or FTP I am able to
> download very
> large files from any number of other sites.

What choices do you make in setup on the network connection page - ie 5
settings/ proxy/ direct ?

Rob

* RE: Setup  hanging while downloading
@ 2002-07-17  5:36 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-17  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tackett, Galen', cygwin

Do you have Zone alarm installed on your machine?
What OS are you running?
If NT/2K/XP are you and administrator?
Is NAT in use?
Is your route table accurate?

Rob

* RE: Setup  hanging while downloading
@ 2002-07-17  5:36 Tackett, Galen
From: Tackett, Galen @ 2002-07-17  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', cygwin

I use Windows 2000 Professional and am an administrator, at least in the
sense of privileges--having spent most of the last 20 years in another
environment, I'm still a bit of a novice at Windows. Virtually all the real
administration is done by the IT staff.

Zone Alarm doesn't ring any bells. I don't see anything by that name in the
"change/remove programs" control panel, but how can I tell for certain?
Likewise for NAT.

I can't speak for the routing tables at all, except to say that it's quite
seldom that I've seen a problem that looks like a routing issue (e.g. can't
ping an external IP address from our intranet, though it will ping from
outside.). Much more common (but probably not related to the setup issue) is
in-house DNS servers returning out-of-date address info for other domains.

@ 2002-07-17  5:35 Tackett, Galen
From: Tackett, Galen @ 2002-07-17  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: 'Robert Collins'