* Re: is there a sendmail ?
       [not found] <maharig@idirect.net>
@ 2002-07-18 12:43 ` Milton Calnek
From: Milton Calnek @ 2002-07-18 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'd like to use be able to have an MTA  under cygwin as well...
I looked at ssmtp, but as I understand it, ssmtp can only send
to an existing smtp server.

From my laptop, I'm on so many different networks, and everytime
I move, I have to reconfigure the outgoing mail host.  I want
to be able to sendmail directly from my laptop... any ideas on
how to handle this?

TIA

In message <BADF3C947A1BD54FBA75C70C241B0B9E10AA62@ex02.idirect.net>, "Harig, Mark A." writes:
> You'll want to run setup.exe and install the 'ssmtp' package (under the
> 'Mail') category, and you'll likely want the 'mutt' package, also.
>
> After you've downloaded and installed them, read the files in
> /usr/doc/ssmtp*, /usr/doc/mutt*, /usr/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp*, and
> /usr/doc/Cygwin/mutt*.  And, of course, there are the manual pages for
> both: $ man ssmtp  and  $ man mutt.
>
> good luck!

Milton Calnek
milton@calnek.com

Everything should be as simple as possible - but no simpler.
-- Albert Einstein as quoted by Peter G. Neumann in CHATS Principles

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-18 13:39   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milton Calnek, cygwin

Milton,

This has been discussed before, but I believe you first need to port bind
and then you can use something like sendmail or qmail.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-18 16:11     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-18 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, Milton Calnek, cygwin

No! See the 'Ported Software' page (http://cygwin.com/ported.html) and look for
exim.

exim is a nice MTA that will be handing this very message when I send it. For
exactly the same reason as Milton, I have Cygwin exim running on my local
machine, and have all SMTP servers in Outlook Express set to 127.0.0.1.

As for the issue with bind, there is a package called minires which provides
enough resolver functionality for exim at the same site.

Many many thanks to Pierre Humblet, author of minires and porter of exim!

Max.

* Re[2]: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-18 22:29       ` Ced
From: Ced @ 2002-07-18 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-owner, Max Bowsher; +Cc: Nicholas Wourms, Milton Calnek, cygwin

Hello Max,

MB> No! See the 'Ported Software' page (http://cygwin.com/ported.html) and look for
MB> exim.

MB> exim is a nice MTA that will be handing this very message when I send it. For
MB> exactly the same reason as Milton, I have Cygwin exim running on my local
MB> machine, and have all SMTP servers in Outlook Express set to 127.0.0.1.

Many thanks for this information !

I've installed exim tonight and it rocks ;)

--
Best regards,
 Ced

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 10:24       ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-07-19 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since you have exim setup, and I imagine it is working nicely for you, is it
run as part of inetd? or is there a different service I have to add to
windows to make it run?

Sincerely,
Daniel Adams - danpadams@infomagic.net
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3

  1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 11:53     ` Jason Tishler
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-19 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicholas,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:11:25AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> This has been discussed before, but I believe you first need to port
> bind and then you can use something like sendmail or qmail.

Actually, porting bind (at least 8.3.x) is the easy part.  This is thanks
to the work by Steven Biggs:

The hard part is adding mkfifo() to Cygwin.  Without it, qmail, postfix,
and possibly sendmail (I haven't grep-ed the code) won't work.

Jason

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 13:36       ` Robert Praetorius
From: Robert Praetorius @ 2002-07-19 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jason Tishler

> The hard part is adding mkfifo() to Cygwin.  Without it, qmail, postfix,
> and possibly sendmail (I haven't grep-ed the code) won't work.

     Also nullmailer, which would otherwise be very attractive for use
with mutt in a cygwin environment:

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 13:47       ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-19 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler, cygwin

--- Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:11:25AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > This has been discussed before, but I believe you first need to port
> > bind and then you can use something like sendmail or qmail.
>
> Actually, porting bind (at least 8.3.x) is the easy part.  This is
> thanks
> to the work by Steven Biggs:
>
>     http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg01419.html
>
> The hard part is adding mkfifo() to Cygwin.  Without it, qmail, postfix,
> and possibly sendmail (I haven't grep-ed the code) won't work.

The last time I checked, mkfifo is in cygwin.din.  Or is that just a stub?

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - Bind9 is turning out to be more of a challenge.  It seems like
there are some missing socket stuff.  I asked Conrad about it and he said
he'd look into it.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 13:58         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-19 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicholas,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 10:44:59AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> --- Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> wrote:
> > The hard part is adding mkfifo() to Cygwin.  Without it, qmail,
> > postfix, and possibly sendmail (I haven't grep-ed the code) won't
> > work.
>
> The last time I checked, mkfifo is in cygwin.din.  Or is that just a
> stub?

It's just a stub:

    extern "C" int
    mkfifo (const char *_path, mode_t mode)
    {
      set_errno (ENOSYS);
      return -1;
    }

> P.S. - Bind9 is turning out to be more of a challenge.  It seems like
> there are some missing socket stuff.  I asked Conrad about it and he
> said he'd look into it.

Cool!  May the porting go easy...

Jason

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 14:23         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-07-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Posted and mailed

Daniel Adams wrote:

> Since you have exim setup, and I imagine it is working nicely for you,
> is it run as part of inetd? or is there a different service I have to
> add to windows to make it run?

I also use exim and it is started via a service that I added via
something close to:

$ cygrunsrv -I -p /usr/local/bin/exim -a "-bd -q15m" \
 > -e CYGWIN=ntsec -d "CYGWIN exim"

You can then start the service via the Services applet in Control Panel
or do a cygrunsrv -S exim. Windows complains because exim doesn't go
into "Daemon mode" they way Windows services likes - it complains that
"the service started then stopped but some services are like that" or
some such error message, however exim runs and works OK.

exim then listens on the SMTP port for requests.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 20:41       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-19 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler, cygwin

===
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:11:25AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > This has been discussed before, but I believe you first need to port
> > bind and then you can use something like sendmail or qmail.
>
> Actually, porting bind (at least 8.3.x) is the easy part.  This is
thanks
> to the work by Steven Biggs:
>
>     http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg01419.html
>
> The hard part is adding mkfifo() to Cygwin.  Without it, qmail,
postfix,
> and possibly sendmail (I haven't grep-ed the code) won't work.

It's my turn now to pipe up and repeat: I'm happy to help (offer
guidance that is) someone finish of/rework my fifo implementation for
cygwin.

Rob

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20  7:53         ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:
> It's my turn now to pipe up and repeat: I'm happy to help (offer
> guidance that is) someone finish of/rework my fifo implementation for
> cygwin.

Well, I'm currently trying to learn the details of setup.exe's package handling
code, to squish the bug I've mentioned here (packages show up even if not
cached, present since 2.248). But, once I've done that, I'd quite like a reason
to learn more about cygwin internals - although I'm not sure how much I will be
able to understand well enough to change.

So, if time rather than complexity has been the problem, I might be able to
help. Is your work-in-progress anywhere downloadable?

Max.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20  8:48           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, cygwin

===
> > It's my turn now to pipe up and repeat: I'm happy to help (offer
> > guidance that is) someone finish of/rework my fifo implementation
for
> > cygwin.
>
> Well, I'm currently trying to learn the details of setup.exe's package
handling
> code, to squish the bug I've mentioned here (packages show up even if
not
> cached, present since 2.248). But, once I've done that, I'd quite like
a reason
> to learn more about cygwin internals - although I'm not sure how much
I will be
> able to understand well enough to change.
>
> So, if time rather than complexity has been the problem, I might be
able to
> help. Is your work-in-progress anywhere downloadable?

The implementation needs
1) updating to HEAD.
2) fork handlers reimplemented (currently broken).
and that should be it.

:}

Rob

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20 10:22             ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-20 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

>> Well, I'm currently trying to learn the details of setup.exe's
>> package handling code, to squish the bug I've mentioned here
>> (packages show up even if not cached, present since 2.248). But,

Oops! I meant to type 2.258 - sorry to cause confusion.

>> once I've done that, I'd quite like a reason to learn more about
>> cygwin internals - although I'm not sure how much I will be able to
>> understand well enough to change.
>>
>> So, if time rather than complexity has been the problem, I might be
>> able to help. Is your work-in-progress anywhere downloadable?
>
> The implementation needs
> 1) updating to HEAD.
> 2) fork handlers reimplemented (currently broken).
> and that should be it.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01780.html

Got it - thanks!

Max.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20 11:46             ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-20 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, Max Bowsher, cygwin

> > > It's my turn now to pipe up and repeat: I'm happy to help (offer
> > > guidance that is) someone finish of/rework my fifo implementation
> for
> > > cygwin.
> >
> > Well, I'm currently trying to learn the details of setup.exe's package
> handling
> > code, to squish the bug I've mentioned here (packages show up even if
> not
> > cached, present since 2.248). But, once I've done that, I'd quite like
> a reason
> > to learn more about cygwin internals - although I'm not sure how much
> I will be
> > able to understand well enough to change.
> >
> > So, if time rather than complexity has been the problem, I might be
> able to
> > help. Is your work-in-progress anywhere downloadable?
>
> The implementation needs
> 1) updating to HEAD.
> 2) fork handlers reimplemented (currently broken).
> and that should be it.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01780.html
>
> :}

You might also want to check out the implimentation here:

http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/namedpipes/

Which gets me thinking, perhaps this is YA function which could be handled
by Cygserver?  It makes sense seeing as how this could use semaphores.  By
the dates, it looks like he's updated it recently.  Max, you might want to
correspond with Conrad Scott, who has been spearheading the Cygserver
project lately.  He is very will versed in interprocess communications and
could probably refer you to some excellent material to get you up to
speed.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20 12:05               ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-20 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, Max Bowsher, cygwin

===
> Which gets me thinking, perhaps this is YA function which could be
handled
> by Cygserver?  It makes sense seeing as how this could use semaphores.
By
> the dates, it looks like he's updated it recently.  Max, you might
want to
> correspond with Conrad Scott, who has been spearheading the Cygserver
> project lately.  He is very will versed in interprocess communications
and
> could probably refer you to some excellent material to get you up to
> speed.

The cygserver could be (and should in the long run) be used to provide
persistence for the fifo when all involved processes have exited. But
that's all that's needed. It *could* be used for all fifo activity, but
frankly, I don't see much need for the overhead.

Rob

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20 13:43         ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-07-20 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Rob,

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 08:12:30AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

If you provide a pointer (i.e., URL), then they will come... :,)

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-20 19:03           ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-20 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 08:12:30AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>> It's my turn now to pipe up and repeat: I'm happy to help (offer
>> guidance that is) someone finish of/rework my fifo implementation for
>> cygwin.
>
> If you provide a pointer (i.e., URL), then they will come... :,)

He already did:

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 14:46 Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-19 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Andrew DeFaria" <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote in message
> I also use exim and it is started via a service that I added via
> something close to:
>
> $ cygrunsrv -I -p /usr/local/bin/exim -a "-bd -q15m" \
>  > -e CYGWIN=ntsec -d "CYGWIN exim"
>
> You can then start the service via the Services applet in Control Panel
> or do a cygrunsrv -S exim. Windows complains because exim doesn't go
> into "Daemon mode" they way Windows services likes - it complains that
> "the service started then stopped but some services are like that" or
> some such error message, however exim runs and works OK.

Change -bd to -bdf to fix this.

Max.

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 14:20 Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-07-19 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Adams, cygwin

"Daniel Adams" <danpadams@infomagic.net> wrote in message
> Since you have exim setup, and I imagine it is working nicely for you, is it
> run as part of inetd? or is there a different service I have to add to
> windows to make it run?

I assume we are talking WinNT/2k/XP here?

I'm running it standalone (no inetd). I just installed it as a service using
cygrunsrv - I think I used this command:

cygrunsrv -I exim -d "CYGWIN exim" -p /usr/local/bin/exim -a "-bdf -q15m"

but, note that you will almost certainly need ntsec enabled. I have
CYGWIN="binmode ntsec tty nosmbntsec" in my system environment.

Max.

* RE: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-19 11:14 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2002-07-19 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

if youve installed the binary distribution then read the file
/usr/local/exim/README.CYGWIN

Since you have exim setup, and I imagine it is working nicely for you, is it
run as part of inetd? or is there a different service I have to add to
windows to make it run?

Sincerely,
Daniel Adams - danpadams@infomagic.net
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3

  1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)-  Each one should use whatever gift he has received to
serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

"Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net> wrote in message
> No! See the 'Ported Software' page (http://cygwin.com/ported.html) and
look for
> exim.
>
> exim is a nice MTA that will be handing this very message when I send it.
For
> exactly the same reason as Milton, I have Cygwin exim running on my local
> machine, and have all SMTP servers in Outlook Express set to 127.0.0.1.
>
> As for the issue with bind, there is a package called minires which
provides
> enough resolver functionality for exim at the same site.
>
> Many many thanks to Pierre Humblet, author of minires and porter of exim!
>
> Max.
>

> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > Milton,
> >
> > This has been discussed before, but I believe you first need to port
> > bind and then you can use something like sendmail or qmail.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas
> > --- Milton Calnek <milton@calnek.com> wrote:
> >> I'd like to use be able to have an MTA  under cygwin as well...
> >> I looked at ssmtp, but as I understand it, ssmtp can only send
> >> to an existing smtp server.
> >>
> >> From my laptop, I'm on so many different networks, and everytime
> >> I move, I have to reconfigure the outgoing mail host.  I want
> >> to be able to sendmail directly from my laptop... any ideas on
> >> how to handle this?
> >>
> >> TIA

* RE: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-18 11:39 Harig, Mark A.
From: Harig, Mark A. @ 2002-07-18 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam_Waldman, cygwin

You'll want to run setup.exe and install the 'ssmtp' package (under the
'Mail') category, and you'll likely want the 'mutt' package, also.

After you've downloaded and installed them, read the files in
/usr/doc/ssmtp*, /usr/doc/mutt*, /usr/doc/Cygwin/ssmtp*, and
/usr/doc/Cygwin/mutt*.  And, of course, there are the manual pages for
both: $ man ssmtp  and  $ man mutt.

good luck!

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-17  9:13 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-07-17  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam_Waldman@Instinet.com wrote:

> i am using bash to run unix like scripts on windows.  I would like these
> scripts
> to send an email when the script fails.  I heard tere is a cygwin sendmail
> but i cannot find it on your site.

I am using ssmtp for this exact function.  You can install it using setup.

Joe Buehler

* Re: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-17  8:18 ` Chris Bitmead
From: Chris Bitmead @ 2002-07-17  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam_Waldman; +Cc: cygwin

I don't know, but doesn't the fact you sent this email indicate maybe
you already have a sendmail running there somewhere already? Not trying
to be funny, but a lot of people who think they need sendmail, don't.

Adam_Waldman@Instinet.com wrote:

>hi
>
>i am using bash to run unix like scripts on windows.  I would like these
>scripts
>to send an email when the script fails.  I heard tere is a cygwin sendmail
>but i cannot find it on your site.
>
>adam

>the system manager.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
>MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
>
>www.mimesweeper.com

* RE: is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-17  8:07 ` Tony Arnold
From: Tony Arnold @ 2002-07-17  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam,

> i am using bash to run unix like scripts on windows.  I would
> like these scripts to send an email when the script fails.  I
> heard tere is a cygwin sendmail but i cannot find it on your site.

No, but there is ssmtp which is a send only cut down sendmail utility
that mail agents can use etc. It will probably be sufficient.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold, Deputy to the Head of COS Division, Manchester Computing,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.

* is there a sendmail ?
@ 2002-07-17  8:00 Adam_Waldman
                   ` (2 more replies)