* CVS install
@ 2000-09-18 22:56 Jeff Jensen
From: Jeff Jensen @ 2000-09-18 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...

I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)

When the FAQ says "see 1B.4", etc., where is that?

Is there a set of install directions for the CVS with Cygwin?  The FAQ
instructions talk about editing source and building, which is not what I
think I need to do with a distribution of binaries, but I do not know.  Even
the README mentions needing to use source...

Where & how do I get these files that the FAQ says to review:
"cvs/src/options.h" and "cvs/src/rcs.h" files, README, INSTALL and ChangeLog
files.
It is a pathetic question, but I have never done it!  I have only used
ClearCase and VSS in a networked environment, and a little CVS already
installed on a Unix system...

Thank you for any pointers.

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19  3:52 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2000-09-19  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Jensen; +Cc: cygwin

Jeff,
  CVS is included in the default cygwin install.  Most of your questions
below deal with building CVS from its own source files; there is no need
to do that unless you really want to.  (If you do want to build from
source, then download cvs-1.10.8-X-src.tar.gz from a cygwin mirror,
unpack, and follow the instructions in
<cvs-src>/CYGWIN-PATCHES/cvs-1.10.8.README)

To get started with CVS (after you've compiled it, or assuming you want
to use the precompiled version installed with cygwin by default), do
this:
  export CVSROOT=<where you want your repository>
  cvs init

Then, follow the instructions in various online sources to see how you
actually USE cvs.  Try:
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_toc.html
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/fom-serve/cache/1.html

--Chuck

Jeff Jensen wrote:

> I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
> bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...
>
> I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
> latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
> included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)
>
> When the FAQ says "see 1B.4", etc., where is that?
>
> Is there a set of install directions for the CVS with Cygwin?  The FAQ
> instructions talk about editing source and building, which is not what I
> think I need to do with a distribution of binaries, but I do not know.  Even
> the README mentions needing to use source...
>
> Where & how do I get these files that the FAQ says to review:
> "cvs/src/options.h" and "cvs/src/rcs.h" files, README, INSTALL and ChangeLog
> files.
> It is a pathetic question, but I have never done it!  I have only used
> ClearCase and VSS in a networked environment, and a little CVS already
> installed on a Unix system...
>
> Thank you for any pointers.
>
> --

* RE: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 20:51   ` Jeff Jensen
From: Jeff Jensen @ 2000-09-19 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Charles Wilson', cygwin

Thanks Chuck, you are right, I just want to use the binaries.

I did this:
  export CVSROOT=/cvs
  cvs init

and received this error:
cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1053 for creation: Permission
denied

Deleting all, setting umask 770, and trying again gives
cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1055 for creation: Permission
denied

Setting CVSUMASK=770 just changed the filename to 1063.

What permission do I need to solve or set first??

Jeff Jensen wrote:

> I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
> bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...
>
> I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
> latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is
RCS
> included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)
>
> When the FAQ says "see 1B.4", etc., where is that?
>
> Is there a set of install directions for the CVS with Cygwin?  The FAQ
> instructions talk about editing source and building, which is not what I
> think I need to do with a distribution of binaries, but I do not know.
Even
> the README mentions needing to use source...
>
> Where & how do I get these files that the FAQ says to review:
> "cvs/src/options.h" and "cvs/src/rcs.h" files, README, INSTALL and
ChangeLog
> files.
> It is a pathetic question, but I have never done it!  I have only used
> ClearCase and VSS in a networked environment, and a little CVS already
> installed on a Unix system...
>
> Thank you for any pointers.
>
> --

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 21:18     ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-09-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Jensen; +Cc: cygwin

A couple of things:
  1) you have installed the gdbm package, right?
  2) when you 'deleted all' [in /cvs, I assume], did you also do a 'rm
.*' ?
  2) send a 'cygcheck -s -r -v' output to the list
  3) try 'strace cvs init' and see what that says...

The only time cvs tries to access (create) a file named ".#xxxxx" is
when it's making a backup of "xxxxx".  So, I'm very confused that 'cvs
init' is trying to backup a file called "1053" (or "1055" or "1063" --
whatever) after you 'deleted all'.

BTW, the following has happened several times on this list: are you
**SURE** you are running the cygwin version of cvs, and not a
windows-ish version installed somewhere else? What does 'which cvs'
show?  'cygcheck cvs.exe'?

--Chuck

Jeff Jensen wrote:

> Thanks Chuck, you are right, I just want to use the binaries.
>
> I did this:
>   export CVSROOT=/cvs
>   cvs init
>
> and received this error:
> cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1053 for creation: Permission
> denied
>
> Deleting all, setting umask 770, and trying again gives
> cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1055 for creation: Permission
> denied
>
> Setting CVSUMASK=770 just changed the filename to 1063.
>
> What permission do I need to solve or set first??

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-20  3:46       ` Sagar R. Shah
From: Sagar R. Shah @ 2000-09-20  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been havaing the exact same problems as Jeff.

I have installed gdbm
I completely killed my cvs directory (rm -fr cvs;    mkdir cvs)

The version of cvs that i'm running is:
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8 (client/server)

which I think is the latest version (of course I could be completely wrong)

I've attached my cygcheck and a bzipped version of my strace output (I'm not
sure whether people would appreciate a 300K attachment)

If anyone can throw some light on what is happening....

Sagar

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Charles S. Wilson wrote:

> A couple of things:
>   1) you have installed the gdbm package, right?
>   2) when you 'deleted all' [in /cvs, I assume], did you also do a 'rm
> .*' ?
>   2) send a 'cygcheck -s -r -v' output to the list
>   3) try 'strace cvs init' and see what that says...
>
> The only time cvs tries to access (create) a file named ".#xxxxx" is
> when it's making a backup of "xxxxx".  So, I'm very confused that 'cvs
> init' is trying to backup a file called "1053" (or "1055" or "1063" --
> whatever) after you 'deleted all'.
>
> BTW, the following has happened several times on this list: are you
> **SURE** you are running the cygwin version of cvs, and not a
> windows-ish version installed somewhere else? What does 'which cvs'
> show?  'cygcheck cvs.exe'?
>
> --Chuck
>

> Jeff Jensen wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Chuck, you are right, I just want to use the binaries.
> >
> > I did this:
> >   export CVSROOT=/cvs
> >   cvs init
> >
> > and received this error:
> > cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1053 for creation: Permission
> > denied
> >
> > Deleting all, setting umask 770, and trying again gives
> > cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1055 for creation: Permission
> > denied
> >
> > Setting CVSUMASK=770 just changed the filename to 1063.
> >
> > What permission do I need to solve or set first??

[-- Attachment #2: strace.bz2 --]
[-- Type: application/x-bzip2, Size: 28503 bytes --]

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-20  9:32         ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-09-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sagar R. Shah; +Cc: cygwin

"Sagar R. Shah" wrote:

> I've been havaing the exact same problems as Jeff.
>
> I have installed gdbm
> I completely killed my cvs directory (rm -fr cvs;    mkdir cvs)
>
> The version of cvs that i'm running is:
> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8 (client/server)
>
> which I think is the latest version (of course I could be completely wrong)

you're not wrong -- that is the latest version in the cygwin distro.

> I've attached my cygcheck

CYGWIN is set incorrectly.  It should not be set to the "path to
cygwin1.dll" as you have done.  It should be something like:  "CYGWIN =
tty binmode ntsec"

I do not know if this could be causing the problem or not.  Also, I
notice that you are running on Win9x.  I've never tested cvs/gdbm (or
cygwin for that matter) on Win9X, since all I've got is WinNT and Win2K.

It is possible that under Win9x, cvs/gdbm needs 'ntea' set in the CYGWIN
variable to work correctly.  However, the drawbacks to that are the
creation of *huge*, un-deletable files called "sf data.ea" in the root
of every FAT or FAT32 drive on your system.

> and a bzipped version of my strace output (I'm not
> sure whether people would appreciate a 300K attachment)

Well, it seems that the .#1011 (or .#1053 or whatever) files are named
according to the PID of the cvs process. That's why the number keeps
changing.  However, I have NO idea why cvs is trying to create a
database with the name .#my-pid -- because it's also creating
.#my-pid.pag and .#my-pid.dir.  I can't even find any reference to pid
in the source...(not true, I understand the .#pid stuff now...it's just
a temporary name; gets renamed later...)

Below I've pasted the snippet from the strace output, which seems to be
where the error is occuring. cvs has already created .#1011 and
.#1011.pag.  Now, it's trying to create a symlink .#1011.dir ->
.#1011.pag  and hits a LOCK_VIOLATION error, and then does a bunch of
write_console calls (presumably to print out error messages and exit).

Waitaminute.  AHA! the link command is trying to create a hardlink
(Here's the ls -il output in *my* CVSROOT directory, on an NTFS
partition:

 560421 -rw-rw-rw-   2 cwilson  Users        3072 Dec  4  1999
modules.dir
 560421 -rw-rw-rw-   2 cwilson  Users        3072 Dec  4  1999
modules.pag

Obviously, that will fail on a FAT partition.  This must be happening
within the gdbm code.  Now, how to fix? (skip down to bottom of message)

  529 1727138 [main] CVS 1011 symlink_info::check: GetFileAttributesA
(C:\devel\cygwin\cvs\CVSROOT\.#1011.dir) failed
  298 1727436 [main] CVS 1011
/cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.1.4/winsup/cygwin/path.cc:2264 seterrno: 2
(FILE_NOT_FOUND) -> 2
  254 1727690 [main] CVS 1011 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check
(C:\devel\cygwin\cvs\CVSROOT\.#1011.dir, 0x268D055) (0x8)
  417 1728107 [main] CVS 1011 symlink_info::check: not a symlink
  294 1728401 [main] CVS 1011 symlink_info::check: 0 = symlink.check
(C:\devel\cygwin\cvs\CVSROOT, 0x268D055) (0x0)
  375 1728776 [main] CVS 1011 path_conv::check:
GetVolumeInformation(C:\) = OK,
full_path(C:\devel\cygwin\cvs\CVSROOT\.#1011.dir), set_has_a
cls(0)
 1741 1730517 [main] CVS 1011
/cygnus/netrel/src/cygwin-1.1.4/winsup/cygwin/syscalls.cc:615 seterrno:
33 (LOCK_VIOLATION) -> 13
  375 1730892 [main] CVS 1011 _link: -1 = link (.#1011.pag, .#1011.dir)
 3364 1734256 [main] CVS 1011 _fcntl: 0 = fcntl (5, 8, 0)
  252 1734508 [main] CVS 1011 _close: close (5)
 1518 1736026 [main] CVS 1011 fhandler_base::close: handle 0x94
 2213 1738239 [main] CVS 1011 _close: 0 = close (5)
 2692 1740931 [main] CVS 1011 _write: write (2, 0x268FD60, 3)
  260 1741191 [main] CVS 1011 fhandler_console::write: 268FD60, 3
  243 1741434 [main] CVS 1011 fhandler_console::write: at 99(c) state is
1
 5555 1746989 [main] CVS 1011 fhandler_console::write: 3 = write_console
(,..3)

--------------------

Okay, the typically way to recover from the failure of hardlink creation
is to just do a copy.  However, we need to insure that *.pag and *.dir
are always in sync, since they are the backend files for a dbm-style
database (see dbminit.c in the gdbm source, which specifically states
that "file.dir will be linked to file.pag").

Perhaps a symlink will work instead?  I dunno. the reason the files are
linked is so that the timestamp on the .pag and .dir files are the
same.  I guess we need to fix it so that every time *.pag is written to,
you stat it, get its timestamp, and touch *.dir to set it's timestamp to
be the same.

Well, I just tried a 'cvs init' with CVSROOT=some_dir_on_a_FAT_drive
(but under WINNT) and it worked fine -- both with and without 'ntea' in
the CYGWIN variable.

On my WinNT test, strace cvs init has the following two lines:
 4197 7043381 [main] cvs 1444 _link: cannot write linkname, Win32 error
1
53654 7097035 [main] cvs 1444 _link: 0 = link (.#1444.pag, .#1444.dir)

the "cannot write linkname, Win32 error 1" message is missing in Sagar's
strace from a Win9x system.  Does the link(hardlink) command fail
gracefully on FAT partitions under WinNT, but die a horrible death on a
Win9x system?

Comments, anyone?

--Chuck

* RE: CVS install
@ 2000-09-20  9:47           ` Graham Bloice
From: Graham Bloice @ 2000-09-20  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<SNIP >

> Well, I just tried a 'cvs init' with CVSROOT=some_dir_on_a_FAT_drive
> (but under WINNT) and it worked fine -- both with and without 'ntea' in
> the CYGWIN variable.
>
> On my WinNT test, strace cvs init has the following two lines:
>  4197 7043381 [main] cvs 1444 _link: cannot write linkname, Win32 error
> 1
> 53654 7097035 [main] cvs 1444 _link: 0 = link (.#1444.pag, .#1444.dir)
>
> the "cannot write linkname, Win32 error 1" message is missing in Sagar's
> strace from a Win9x system.  Does the link(hardlink) command fail
> gracefully on FAT partitions under WinNT, but die a horrible death on a
> Win9x system?
>
> Comments, anyone?

I know that this isn't directly related to the question under discussion,
but I use CVS on Win98 at home to connect to a remote CVS server and it
works fine for me except for the following problem:

When used with SSH, cvs command output happily appears, but after the cvs
command has completed, control isn't returned to the bash prompt.  I have to
Ctrl-C to regain control.  Not too much of an inconvenience, but I do have
to check that the cvs command has really finished by monitoring my network
connection.

SSH by itself seems fine, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.  I'll try
to do some more investigation tonight.

Graham

> --Chuck
>
> --

* RE: CVS install
@ 2000-09-21  8:18             ` Jeffrey Juliano
From: Jeffrey Juliano @ 2000-09-21  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Bloice, cygwin

--On Wed, Sept 20, 2000 Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@trihedral.com> wrote:

> When used with SSH, cvs command output happily appears, but after the cvs
> command has completed, control isn't returned to the bash prompt.  I have

see these threads:

You can search the archive for my name for another (older) thread giving my
"workaround" and ps output on both the server and clinet machines.

> SSH by itself seems fine, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.  I'll
> try to do some more investigation tonight.

See the above threads.  I've seen scp hang in (what might be) be the same
way.

I think that to debug this, you'll need to build debuggable ssh/cvs and
watch in the debugger.  Note that I've had no success in attaching gdb to a
running process in win9x.  I can't use strace because I cannot use
ssh-agent (afs-enabled sshd), and I don't konw how to strace something
that's interactive.  But your milage may vary.  I haven't gotten a round
tuit yet myself.

(If only I had good win2k video drivers for my laptop...)

-jeff

* RE: CVS install
@ 2000-09-21 18:46       ` Jeff Jensen
From: Jeff Jensen @ 2000-09-21 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Charles S. Wilson'; +Cc: cygwin

Thanks for the help Chuck and others...following the conversations the past
couple of days, my issue is I am setting it up on my laptop, which is a
Win95 machine - proven to not work!  Alas...

Jeff Jensen wrote:

> Thanks Chuck, you are right, I just want to use the binaries.
>
> I did this:
>   export CVSROOT=/cvs
>   cvs init
>
> and received this error:
> cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1053 for creation: Permission
> denied
>
> Deleting all, setting umask 770, and trying again gives
> cvs [init aborted]: cannot open dbm file .#1055 for creation: Permission
> denied
>
> Setting CVSUMASK=770 just changed the filename to 1063.
>
> What permission do I need to solve or set first??

* Re: CVS install
       [not found] <779F20BCCE5AD31186A50008C75D99791717A9@silldn_mail1.sanwaint.com>
@ 2000-09-21  8:36 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2000-09-21  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fifer, Eric; +Cc: cygwin

"Fifer, Eric" wrote:

> Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >It is possible that under Win9x, cvs/gdbm needs 'ntea' set in the CYGWIN
> >variable to work correctly.  However, the drawbacks to that are the
> >creation of *huge*, un-deletable files called "sf data.ea" in the root
> >of every FAT or FAT32 drive on your system.
>
> ntea does nothing on Win9x, its is only meaningful on WinNT,
> ntea = Windows NT, Extended Attributes.

Oh yeah.  Where's my brown paper bag....

> >Does the link(hardlink) command fail
> >gracefully on FAT partitions under WinNT, but die a horrible death on a
> >Win9x system?
>
> It doesn't fail at all, it makes a copy of the file and reports success.

It seems to be failing w/o making a copy in Sagar's strace...

> >Okay, the typically way to recover from the failure of hardlink creation
> >is to just do a copy.  However, we need to insure that *.pag and *.dir
> >are always in sync, since they are the backend files for a dbm-style
> >database (see dbminit.c in the gdbm source, which specifically states
> >that "file.dir will be linked to file.pag").
>
> I don't know the specifics of this, but based on testing with Perl,
> gdbm by itself works fine.  However, with the dbm/ndbm emulation
> everything fails on FAT (Win9x and WinNT) because of the file copy.

I was afraid of that.  Thanks, Eric.

Okay, so you can't use cygwin-cvs to maintain a local repository on FAT
drives ==> you can't use cygwin-cvs to maintain a local repository on
Win9X systems.

However, if someone wants to send me a patch so that cvs uses gdbm calls
instead of ndbm calls, and #includes gdbm.h instead of ndbm.h, I'll
definitely consider it.  Pointer: the easiest way is probably to make
use of the myndbm feature that already exists in cvs; just replace the
function definitions in myndbm.c with wrappers to gdbm_* calls.  Should
be pretty straightforward, but watch for memory leaks on dynamically
allocated return structures: see <gdbm-src>/dbmseq.c and
<gdbm-src>/dbmfetch.c for examples...

(Also edit options.h so that MY_NDBM is defined)

I'd prefer that cvs use libgdbm for database access, over just using the
myndbm routines as they are currently coded in <cvs-src>/src/myndbm.c.
That's why I suggest modifying the myndbm.c functions to become wrappers
for gdbm_*.

--Chuck

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 11:30 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-19 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff J Jensen, cygwin

--- Jeff J Jensen <jeffjensen@visi.com> wrote:
> Thank you Chuck and Earnie for the replies.  It is clearer now.
>
> There is lots of info easily found on _using_ CVS, but the simple steps to
> begin I have not found.  Is this missing (an assumption of a certain CVS
> expertise level), or have I been blind to it!?  Can someone point me to the
> CVS setup docs for using the prebuilt binaries in the Cygwin distribution
> (or is it just that simple: set CVSROOT, and do init?  If yes and missing,
> then tell me where/how to add a note and I'll write it up for the next
> beginner-like person...I spent too many hours looking for getting started
> info!)?

`cvs --help' should be a good start as well is `info --file
/usr/info/cvs.info'.

> An advice question:
> For CVS with Cygwin, where is/are the better places for the CVSROOT
> directory?  Particularly, I am wondering about c:\cvsroot (will it work?)
> or c:\cygwin\cvsroot.

Your preference.  If you're using the Cygwin CVS you should use POSIX paths
though.  I use CVSROOT=/.CVS.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 10:47 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:20:48PM -0500, Jeff J Jensen wrote:
>Thank you Chuck and Earnie for the replies.  It is clearer now.
>
>There is lots of info easily found on _using_ CVS, but the simple steps to
>begin I have not found.  Is this missing (an assumption of a certain CVS
>expertise level), or have I been blind to it!?  Can someone point me to the
>CVS setup docs for using the prebuilt binaries in the Cygwin distribution
>(or is it just that simple: set CVSROOT, and do init?  If yes and missing,
>then tell me where/how to add a note and I'll write it up for the next
>beginner-like person...I spent too many hours looking for getting started
>info!)?
>
>An advice question:
>For CVS with Cygwin, where is/are the better places for the CVSROOT
>directory?  Particularly, I am wondering about c:\cvsroot (will it work?)
>or c:\cygwin\cvsroot.

I don't know much about setting up CVS "for cygwin" but I would be very
surprised if it was different from setting up CVS "for UNIX".  The point
of the Cygwin project is to create a UNIX environment on Windows.  That
means that whatever UNIX docs you have access to should be applicable.

So, c:\cygwin is not a good choice for CVSROOT.  Use UNIX paths like
/cvs .  This will eventually resolve to something like c:\cygwin\cvs
but you can ignore that fact.

FYI, the CVS web site is: http://www.cvshome.org/ .

cgf

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19 10:20 Jeff J Jensen
From: Jeff J Jensen @ 2000-09-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> [...]

> > latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
> > included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> > not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)
> >
> > When the FAQ says "see 1B.4", etc., where is that?
> >
> > Is there a set of install directions for the CVS with Cygwin?  The FAQ
> > instructions talk about editing source and building, which is not what I
> > think I need to do with a distribution of binaries, but I do not know.  Even
> > the README mentions needing to use source...
> >
> > Where & how do I get these files that the FAQ says to review:
> > "cvs/src/options.h" and "cvs/src/rcs.h" files, README, INSTALL and ChangeLog
> > files.
> > It is a pathetic question, but I have never done it!  I have only used
> > ClearCase and VSS in a networked environment, and a little CVS already

* Re: CVS install
@ 2000-09-19  6:43 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-19  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Jensen, cygwin

--- Jeff Jensen <jeffjensen@nospam.visi.com> wrote:
> I am trying to learn and install CVS for the first time, and am feeling a
> bit overwhelmed.  I have a few basic questions...
>
> I am using the FAQ that came with the latest Cygwin (I just upgraded to
> latest a couple of days ago), and it mentions having to install RCS.  Is RCS
> included in the Cygwin net install, or need acquiring separately?  (I did
> not see anything in my Cygwin install, so I think I need to find it...)

RCS is not needed to use CVS as CVS contains the parts of RCS it needs
imbedded.

Cheers,

=====