* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-13 16:07 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

Then there is some other problem with the installation as you mentioned.

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dpainter, cygwin

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> I always rename the cygnus find to gfind so that it does not collide with
> the builtin WinDos version of find.exe...

Better rename the real useless windows find... ;)

Corinna

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Weiqi Gao
From: Weiqi Gao @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The (real AT&T) ksh man page is available on line, at least for Solaris
and HP-UX.  The Solaris version is at http://docs.sun.com , the HP-UX
version is at http://docs.hp.com .

The Sun reference site has a nifty feature that will generate a
postscript version of the man page for you to print out.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@a.crl.com

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simao Campos; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

----
.

>Dear all,
>
>I bet that his path is pointing to a win95/98/NT directory first, and
>"find" being invoked is not the GNU "find" but the Windows one. Try
"type
>find", if it is not the one in the Cygnus directory, that's the source
>of your problem.

Yes!!!!
We figure that out on Friday night.

Thanks
Suhaib

       [not found] ` < 001101be6dad$6cc1c2c0$41cd78cf@hunda >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, dpainter; +Cc: cygwin

>I always rename the cygnus find to gfind so that it does not collide with
>the builtin WinDos version of find.exe...

I did nt rename it and as long as I ran find within Cygwin Bash shells, with
path properly defined, I have never seen conflicts with WinDos version of
find.exe

David is making a mistake in typing the find command syntex that's why he is
seeing errors.

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

David's Lightspeed Email wrote:
> My "find" command does not seem to be working properly. Regardless of what
> options I give it, it always complains about the parameters being wrong.
> [...]

This sounds to me, as if your shell finds the Windows `find'-command first.
Check your settings (e.g. PATH order).

Regards,
Corinna

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dpainter, cygwin

-

>Sorry, but the error message:
>
>    FIND: Parameter format not correct
>
>is a pure M$ism.  (Just type \winnt\system32\find to "find" this message)

Agree!!!

As Corinna said, if you are having this problem, I would rather rename MS
find.exe.  Windows NT find.exe is useless anyway.

>Depending on the paths to sort things out gives you different results
>depending on the context you're working from.
>
>Personally, I would NOT want my BAT scripts to behave differently depending
>on where they're running from.
>
>Also you only need to quote the name of the file you're looking for (under
>gnu-find or gfind for short) when the filename includes a wildcard.
>
>Anybody gona write Cygwin in a nutshell for O'Reily?  (It's such a pain to
>flip back and forth between the eNp-Ty and Linux books. ;-)

Are you planing to do it?

* RE: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, 'David's Lightspeed Email'

David's Lightspeed Email wrote:
> For example, here is a simple command:
>
> $ find . -name sh.exe -print
>
> With parameters, it consistently tells me that "FIND: Parameter format not
> correct"
> Without parameters, it reports "required parameter missing"

cd \winnt\sysyem32
ren find.exe find.nt.exe

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Piscataway, NJ

* Problems with "find" and job control.
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` David's Lightspeed Email
From: David's Lightspeed Email @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

                                    March 13th, 1999

My "find" command does not seem to be working properly. Regardless of what
options I give it, it always complains about the parameters being wrong.

For example, here is a simple command:

$ find . -name sh.exe -print

With parameters, it consistently tells me that "FIND: Parameter format not
correct"
Without parameters, it reports "required parameter missing"

The command:
$ find --help
does not work either.

------
Now, as for job control, arent the "jobs", "bg", and "fg" commands a
standard part of SH?
I don't seem to have these in my distribution, and I could really use them.

                                     David L. Painter
                                     dpainter@prontomail.com
                                     dpainter@lightspeed.net
                                     ph: (559) 292-5366 * 3
                                     fax:(559) 292-0410

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Simao Campos
From: Simao Campos @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

Dear all,

I bet that his path is pointing to a win95/98/NT directory first, and
"find" being invoked is not the GNU "find" but the Windows one. Try "type
find", if it is not the one in the Cygnus directory, that's the source
of your problem.

Regards,
Simao.

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Henry J. Cobb

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

David's Lightspeed Email wrote:
> [...]
> Now, as for job control, arent the "jobs", "bg", and "fg" commands a
> standard part of SH?

No. The standard bourne shell doesn't have job control features.

But this is supported by bash, ksh, tcsh, zsh,...

Regards,
Corinna

* RE: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

> >My "find" command does not seem to be working properly.
> Regardless of what
> >options I give it, it always complains about the parameters being wrong.
> >
> >For example, here is a simple command:
> >
> >$ find . -name sh.exe -print
>
> you are typing a wrong thing.  You need to put quotes around sh.exe.
>
> find . -name "sh.exe" -print

Actually, the name parameter only requires quotes if it contains wildcards.
His problems, as others have stated, is that he is executing the windows
find command and not the cygwin one.

Rick
--
Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
       [not found] ` < 000c01be6dad$321acea0$41cd78cf@hunda >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

>My "find" command does not seem to be working properly. Regardless of what
>options I give it, it always complains about the parameters being wrong.
>
>For example, here is a simple command:
>
>$ find . -name sh.exe -print

you are typing a wrong thing.  You need to put quotes around sh.exe.

find . -name "sh.exe" -print

The command you are typing is going to give you syntex error on a UNIX
machine too.

There is book called UNIX in Nutshell and is available at all the book
stores in the USA.  Perhaps that  may answer you several questions you
posted in previous mails.

Regards

Suhaib

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

@ 1999-03-15  8:02 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-15  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simao Campos; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

----
.

@ 1999-03-15  8:00   ` Simao Campos
From: Simao Campos @ 1999-03-15  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 17:33 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1999-03-13 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, 'David's Lightspeed Email'

@ 1999-03-13 16:18   ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1999-03-13 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 16:14 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dpainter, cygwin

-

@ 1999-03-13 16:11   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ssiddiqi; +Cc: dpainter, cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 16:08   ` Weiqi Gao
From: Weiqi Gao @ 1999-03-13 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The (real AT&T) ksh man page is available on line, at least for Solaris
and HP-UX.  The Solaris version is at http://docs.sun.com , the HP-UX
version is at http://docs.hp.com .

The Sun reference site has a nifty feature that will generate a
postscript version of the man page for you to print out.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@a.crl.com

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <199903132347.AAA11826@mail2.cityweb.de>
@ 1999-03-13 16:05 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 16:02 ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found] ` < 000c01be6dad$321acea0$41cd78cf@hunda >
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 15:58   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dpainter, cygwin

Henry J. Cobb wrote:

> I always rename the cygnus find to gfind so that it does not collide with
> the builtin WinDos version of find.exe...

Better rename the real useless windows find... ;)

Corinna

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-13 15:58 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 001101be6dad$6cc1c2c0$41cd78cf@hunda >
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-13 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, dpainter; +Cc: cygwin

>I always rename the cygnus find to gfind so that it does not collide with
>the builtin WinDos version of find.exe...

I did nt rename it and as long as I ran find within Cygwin Bash shells, with
path properly defined, I have never seen conflicts with WinDos version of
find.exe

David is making a mistake in typing the find command syntex that's why he is
seeing errors.

>--

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-13 15:57 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email, cygwin

>My "find" command does not seem to be working properly. Regardless of what
>options I give it, it always complains about the parameters being wrong.
>
>For example, here is a simple command:
>
>$ find . -name sh.exe -print

you are typing a wrong thing.  You need to put quotes around sh.exe.

find . -name "sh.exe" -print

The command you are typing is going to give you syntex error on a UNIX
machine too.

There is book called UNIX in Nutshell and is available at all the book
stores in the USA.  Perhaps that  may answer you several questions you
posted in previous mails.

Regards

Suhaib

>With parameters, it consistently tells me that "FIND: Parameter format not
>correct"
>Without parameters, it reports "required parameter missing"
>
>The command:
>$ find --help
>does not work either.
>
>------
>Now, as for job control, arent the "jobs", "bg", and "fg" commands a
>standard part of SH?
>I don't seem to have these in my distribution, and I could really use them.
>

>                                     David L. Painter
>                                     dpainter@prontomail.com
>                                     dpainter@lightspeed.net
>                                     ph: (559) 292-5366 * 3
>                                     fax:(559) 292-0410
>

>--

* Re: Problems with "find" and job control.
       [not found] ` < 00cf01be6daa$7c9d3ce0$cf39a5d1@www.lightspeed.net >
@ 1999-03-13 15:56 ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found] ` <199903132347.AAA11826@mail2.cityweb.de>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-13 15:47   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-13 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpainter; +Cc: cygwin

I always rename the cygnus find to gfind so that it does not collide with
the builtin WinDos version of find.exe...

* Problems with "find" and job control.
@ 1999-03-13 15:41 David's Lightspeed Email
       [not found] ` < 00cf01be6daa$7c9d3ce0$cf39a5d1@www.lightspeed.net >
                   ` (5 more replies)