* Re: Good News; Questions about Korn Shell for Win32
@ 1999-03-14 11:51 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-14 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valery Tulnikov, Weiqi Gao, cygwin

>I remembered the old discussion in uwin list concerning MKS Toolkit. David
>Korn was skeptical on this implementation of ksh and MS decision to license
>it. He also informed that the only 'right' ksh implementation on Win32 is
>included with UWIN package.

But he also wrote in one of his message on U/WIN, Datafocus has been around
much longer then U/WIN therefore it could be more polished product compared
to U/WIN.  So, who has the right implementation or a better product becomes
more debatable.

Regards
Suhaib

@ 1999-03-14 12:25 ` Valery Tulnikov
From: Valery Tulnikov @ 1999-03-14 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, cygwin

You're absolutely right. But I think the weakest side of all of those
projects is a much smaller support from free developers as a result of close
to public source policy.

With best regards,

Valery Tulnikov,
valtul@demos.su
http://www.dol.ru/users/valtul

@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Valery Tulnikov

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valery Tulnikov, Weiqi Gao, cygwin

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` David's Lightspeed Email
From: David's Lightspeed Email @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

                                    March 13th, 1999

Well, the good news is that I'll be starting a new job next week as a Perl
programmer for a Real Estate listing service out of Thousand Oaks.  The bad
news is that I've mostly used the Berkeley C-Shell in the past, and they
want me to use the Korn Shell like the rest of their programmers.  Thus, in
the next seven days I need to go thru a crash course in KSH progrmming.

I've already got the Cygwin SH, and BASH here, and I recognize the the Korn
shell is by design a strict semantic superset of the origianal Bourne Shell.
Thus, anything I can do with SH will work in the new environment.  Since
I've got a full week here, I'd really like to get ahold of a working copy of
the KSH, so that I can play with it and learn its intricacies and
subtleties.

Question One:  Is the Ksh freely distributed, and is there even a Win32 port
available?
Question Two:  If it is not free, but someone on the list does have it,
could you let me use a copy of it for the next week?

Comments and Ideas always appreciated.

Peace.

                                     David L. Painter
                                     dpainter@prontomail.com
                                     dpainter@lightspeed.net
                                     ph: (559) 292-5366 * 3
                                     fax:(559) 292-0410

* Re: Good News; Questions about Korn Shell for Win32
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

David's Lightspeed Email wrote:
> Question One:  Is the Ksh freely distributed, and is there even a Win32 port
> available?
> Question Two:  If it is not free, but someone on the list does have it,
> could you let me use a copy of it for the next week?

You will find a public domain variant, the pdksh as a cygwin port on

ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

as files
		pdksh-5.2.13.x.README
		pdksh-5.2.13.x.tar.gz

The source are published on

ftp://ftp.cs.mun.ca/pub/pdksh

Hope, this helps,
Corinna

* Re: Good News; Questions about Korn Shell for Win32
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Nirmal Prasad
From: Nirmal Prasad @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpainter; +Cc: cygwin

>If it is not free, but someone on the list does have it,
> could you let me use a copy of it for the next week?

Try the MKS Toolkit (Download it for a demo i guess it should work at least
for a week).

Regards

Nirmal Prasad R.

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nirmal Prasad, David's Lightspeed Email; +Cc: cygwin

>>If it is not free, but someone on the list does have it,
>> could you let me use a copy of it for the next week?

Nope, I cannot let you use a copy of it.  It was given to me as a gift
by one of the MKS Toolkit sales person.

I am against violating the license agreement of anyone.  If you need it
then you have to either get a demo of it or buy valid a license from
Datafocus Inc., It costs $ 149.00 per seat.

--Suhaib

@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Weiqi Gao
From: Weiqi Gao @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin