* Re: clock skew
@ 2000-04-07  5:27 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-04-07  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Forbes, Cygwin

--- Trevor Forbes <trevorforbes@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> I get  the following random error when building packages?
>
> make[1]: *** Warning: File `xmakefile' has modification time in the future
> (2000-04-07 08:09:32 > 2000-04-07 08:09:31)
> make[1]: *** Warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
>
> The clock skew is always out by one second and it never seems to affect the
> final build.
> There is no network drives involved
>

> http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-02/msg00035.html
> states the problem as:
> This appears to be a typical characteristic of Windows systems, as if the
> low order bits of the file time are "random."  It hasn't appeared to be a
> problem; I don't see it as often in Win2K.  I've wondered whether cygwin
> should mask off the low order bits, given that Windows works this way.
>
> Is the above statement correct?
>
> Anyway, my question is, given that it does not seem to affect builds and
> that does not seem to be a common problem.
> Should I just continue to ignore the error or will it eventually cause a
> build to be incomplete?

Would you be using a networked device for storage, compilation, etc?  This
could be a difference in clocks between your workstation and the fileserver.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: clock skew
@ 2000-04-07  8:30 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2000-04-07  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Trevor Forbes, Cygwin

These backward steps of at most 2 seconds occur when running on a single
processor.  If it were a problem with un-synchronized networking, it would
be larger and potentially more troublesome.

@ 2000-04-07 16:47 ` Trevor Forbes
From: Trevor Forbes @ 2000-04-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

> > I get  the following random error when building packages?
> >
> > make[1]: *** Warning: File `xmakefile' has modification time in the
future
> > (2000-04-07 08:09:32 > 2000-04-07 08:09:31)
> > make[1]: *** Warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be
incomplete.

> > The clock skew is always out by one second and it never seems to affect
the
> > final build.
> > There is no network drives involved
> >

> > http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-02/msg00035.html
> > states the problem as:
> > This appears to be a typical characteristic of Windows systems, as if
the
> > low order bits of the file time are "random."  It hasn't appeared to be
> > problem; I don't see it as often in Win2K.  I've wondered whether cygwin
> > should mask off the low order bits, given that Windows works this way.
> >
> > Is the above statement correct?
> >
> > Anyway, my question is, given that it does not seem to affect builds and
> > that does not seem to be a common problem.
> > Should I just continue to ignore the error or will it eventually cause a
> > build to be incomplete?
> >

> Would you be using a networked device for storage, compilation, etc?  This
> could be a difference in clocks between your workstation and the
fileserver.

> =====
> ---
>    Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >