* Query: Optimization
@ 2000-01-27 15:49 Tammie Philpott
From: Tammie Philpott @ 2000-01-27 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've read over the documentation for Cygwin B20.1 and have not found
anything talking about if gcc can be optimized for the Pentium
compiler.  I see many things talking about API's and how you can port
Unix tools over to NT, but nothing about optimization.  Could someone
please tell me if you can optimize for 386/Pentium/etc. PC hardware?

Tammie N. Philpott
OCR Infrastructure Team
Postal Systems, Lockheed Martin Federal Systems
Voice: (607)751-7492
Fax: (607)751-3621

* Re: Query: Optimization
@ 2000-01-27 20:10 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-01-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tammie Philpott; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 06:48:54PM -0500, Tammie Philpott wrote:
>I've read over the documentation for Cygwin B20.1 and have not found
>anything talking about if gcc can be optimized for the Pentium
>compiler.  I see many things talking about API's and how you can port
>Unix tools over to NT, but nothing about optimization.  Could someone
>please tell me if you can optimize for 386/Pentium/etc. PC hardware?

I think you'll probably need to check out the gcc documentation for
specific compiler questions.  The Cygwin B20.1 documentation gives
you general information on the cygwin environnment.

Check out http://gcc.gnu.org/ for documentation.

The specific answer to your question is that the gcc in B20.1 does not
contain any special optimization flags for the pentium.

I'll let Mumit mention what kind of optimization is available in
more "modern" compilers.

cgf

* Re: Query: Optimization
@ 2000-01-28 20:10   ` s.rekow
From: s.rekow @ 2000-01-28 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Tammie Philpott

> >I've read over the documentation for Cygwin B20.1 and have not found
> >anything talking about if gcc can be optimized for the Pentium
> >compiler.  I see many things talking about API's and how you can port
> >Unix tools over to NT, but nothing about optimization.  Could someone
> >please tell me if you can optimize for 386/Pentium/etc. PC hardware?
>
> I think you'll probably need to check out the gcc documentation for
> specific compiler questions.  The Cygwin B20.1 documentation gives
> you general information on the cygwin environnment.
>
> Check out http://gcc.gnu.org/ for documentation.

http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_2.html#SEC17

"-mcpu=cpu type
Assume the defaults for the machine type cpu type when scheduling
instructions. The choices for cpu type are: `i386'  `i486'  `i586'  `i686'
`pentium'  `pentiumpro'  `k6'
While picking a specific cpu type will schedule things appropriately for
that particular chip, the compiler will not generate any code that does not
run on the i386 without the `-march=cpu type' option being used. `i586' is
equivalent to `pentium' and `i686' is equivalent to `pentiumpro'. `k6' is
the AMD chip as opposed to the Intel ones.
-march=cpu type
Generate instructions for the machine type cpu type. The choices for cpu
type are the same as for `-mcpu'. Moreover, specifying `-march=cpu type'
implies `-mcpu=cpu type'. "