* [Fwd: Re: Setup problems - windows 98]
@ 2001-07-25 17:57 Mair
From: Mair @ 2001-07-25 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > home not being set is not good- it sounds as though the .profile wasn't
> > getting run. You should be able to run it manually by typing
> > . .profile (from the directory the profile resides in)

Okay, now I'm finally getting somewhere. I managed to run the profile and it
works!- it
isn't changing the username as requested:
although I have this line in
USER="MairAllenWilliams"
the bash is still coming up with:
Mrs E Allen-Willaims@BIZZYLIZZY C:/Mair
The FAQ or somewhere said the spaces in the name might cause problems. Don't
know...
Anyway calling gcc, etc now works! Yippee!
Thankyou people (O:
Oh but one more thing - it still isn't automatically running the .profile
when I open bash. I have to do it every time...looking at google again it
came up with very few hits but something about a -login? I tried
"bash -login" from an MS-Dos prompt but came up with the same shell I get by
double clicking...any ideas please?

Cheers
 Mair

* [Fwd: Re: Setup problems - windows 98]
@ 2001-07-25 18:09 Mair
From: Mair @ 2001-07-25 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 > Oh but one more thing - it still isn't automatically running the .profile
 > when I open bash. I have to do it every time...looking at google again it
 > came up with very few hits but something about a -login? I tried
 > "bash -login" from an MS-Dos prompt but came up with the same shell I get
> by
 > double clicking...any ideas please?
 >
 > Cheers
 >  Mair

 Okay - problem solved (by deleting the profile file, running setup,
deleting
 the autogenerated profile file, and restoring my own, as recommended by an
 archived message somewhere). At least, it still ain't quite right. But it
 all works now, anyway.
 (O:
 Cheers
 Mair

* Re: [Fwd: Re: Setup problems - windows 98]
@ 2001-07-25 14:04 ` Mair
From: Mair @ 2001-07-25 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> home not being set is not good- it sounds as though the .profile wasn't
> getting run. You should be able to run it manually by typing
> . .profile (from the directory the profile resides in)

I'll try that. As I said I tried typing the commands in line by line
manually but that didn't help/

> If your mounts are okay, and PATH=/usr/bin:/anything_else
> you should be able to run the commands and it should find them. If not,
> you can try deleting/moving everything and do a fresh download/install.

It's quite a long download (that or I have a slow connection) - is there a
way of making it reinstall without downloading everything again? When I've
tried running setup.exe again it just says "nothing to install".

Cheers.

* [Fwd: Re: Setup problems - windows 98]
@ 2001-07-25 14:00 Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-07-25 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mha23, cygwin

It might be a good idea to try reinstalling, particularly in this case
where mount looks right but PATH isn't working. And that error about
your
home not being set is not good- it sounds as though the .profile wasn't
getting run. You should be able to run it manually by typing
. .profile (from the directory the profile resides in)

If your mounts are okay, and PATH=/usr/bin:/anything_else
you should be able to run the commands and it should find them. If not,
you can try deleting/moving everything and do a fresh download/install.

HTH,
Peter

> path home site:cygwin.com

okay I will try this or something similar

> That said- it sounds like you don't have a "home" directory, or cygwin
> isn't picking up on it. But that shouldn't affect the path problem...
> You should have an environment variable set by windows that tells where
> your home directory is- if you don't, right click on "My Computer"
> choose "Properties" and select the "Environment" tab, and create
> yourself a variable called "HOME" with the value of a directory you want
> to use as your home directory.

I don't have an environment tab - I can shove a line in autoexec.bat but
since I explicitly set HOME in the .profile I don't see that this ought
be necessary.

> I think that your mounts may be incorrect- check the documents on how to
> use the "mount" command- I think there is a -m option or something. You
> want to make sure that c:\mair\cygwin is mounted as "/". Then it follows
> that c:\mair\cygwin\bin is mounted as "/bin". Try just typing "mount" at
> the bash prompt.

well obviouslyt this doesn't do anything - that's my problem!
"C:/mair/cygwin/bin/mount" gives a loist of results that look about
right:

bash-2.05$ "C:/mair/cygwin/bin/mount"
C:\mair\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\mair\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\mair\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)

I will try google...