* Re: stubborn file
@ 2002-06-27  9:55 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2002-06-27  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin ML

Hi,

I had this problem when i first installed crond. To fix it i stopped all
running cygwin services, had to unwillingly remove them and then reboot. On
one system the file could be removed by the admin user on windows but on one
other system i had to reset the permissions from the security tab. And then
i was able to remove the file.

Hope that helps...

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
Exposure Internet/Intranet
http://www.exposure.org.uk

This e-mail is private and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient of this communication please alert the sender or alternatively
return mail to emails@exposure.org.uk.

If the reader of this e-mail is not an intended recipient, you have received
this e-mail in error. Please contact emails@exposure.org.uk immediately by
return mail and permanently deleting the copy(s) you have received.

* Re: stubborn file
@ 2002-06-27 10:24 ` Chris January
From: Chris January @ 2002-06-27 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Hi,
>
> I had this problem when i first installed crond. To fix it i stopped all
> running cygwin services, had to unwillingly remove them and then reboot.
On
> one system the file could be removed by the admin user on windows but on
one
> other system i had to reset the permissions from the security tab. And
then
> i was able to remove the file.
I rebooted and ran chkdsk from the recovery console. That sorted the problem
out - when I logged on the next time, the file has disappeared.
I wonder what bug allowed the file to be created in the first place though.
Strange!

Chris

* Re: stubborn file
@ 2002-06-27  9:23 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-06-27  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris January <chris@atomice.net> wrote:
> While trying to get mysql to run as an NT service under Cygwin, I somehow
> created a file that won't go away. I can't delete the file, even as the
> SYSTEM user. I can't rename it either. If I bring up the file properties in
> Explorer, there is no Security tab for the file. If I type cacls <filename>
> in a cmd.exe window as the SYSTEM user, I get an Access Denied error. If I
> type dir /q as the SYSTEM user, the owner is shown as ---. Sysinternals'
> Process Explorer shows no processes have an open handle on the file. The
> user id is 63220 and the group id is 40359. None of the user ids or group
> ids on my system are anywhere near these numbers.
> How do I delete this file? Also, which bug allowed a file to be created with
> these sorts of permissions in the first place?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Chris

Very odd that the security tab is missing. Perhaps you can find a utility to
take ownership of the file? That will allow you to edit its permissions.

Max.

* stubborn file
@ 2002-06-27  8:36 Chris January