* RE: "Out of environment space" error
@ 1999-03-03 10:39 Earnie Boyd
       [not found] ` < 19990303184010.14870.rocketmail@send102.yahoomail.com >
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-03 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

---Todd Goodman <tsg1@earthlink.net> wrote:
8<
> > You are the first NT user I've seen have this problem.  BTW, where
is
> > the properties window for setting auto memory or 4096 on NT?
>
> Right click on the shortcut (which is a short-cut to an MSDOS
program),
> select Properties, then Memory Tab, then under Conventional Memory
there is
> an Initial Environment drop down box which was set to Auto by default.
8<

There is no Memory Tab on the NT MS-DOS Prompt Properites dialog.  The
Tabs should be General, Shortcut, Options, Font, Layout and Colors; in
that order.

8<
> Perhaps it has to do with my installing NT over an existing 95
installation
> on
> the same drive (a FAT partition).
8<

My guess here is that you didn't properly install NT.  Don't know what
you've as a result.  I suggest trying it again as this is definitely
not NT.
==
-                        \\||//

@ 1999-03-03 19:11   ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > > You are the first NT user I've seen have this problem.  BTW, where
> is
> > > the properties window for setting auto memory or 4096 on NT?
> >
> > Right click on the shortcut (which is a short-cut to an MSDOS
> program),
> > select Properties, then Memory Tab, then under Conventional Memory
> there is
> > an Initial Environment drop down box which was set to Auto
> by default.
> 8<
>
> There is no Memory Tab on the NT MS-DOS Prompt Properites dialog.  The
> Tabs should be General, Shortcut, Options, Font, Layout and Colors; in
> that order.

I have General, Program, Font, Memory, Screen, Misc.

Program contains a Windows NT button that lets me select the autoexec.bat
and config.sys
to use (defaulting to %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS).

Sure looks like NT to me.

> 8<
> > Perhaps it has to do with my installing NT over an existing 95
> installation
> > on
> > the same drive (a FAT partition).
> 8<
>
> My guess here is that you didn't properly install NT.  Don't know what
> you've as a result.  I suggest trying it again as this is definitely
> not NT.

I believe it is installed properly.  I was able to install SP4 after all and
all NT programs are running OK.

Thanks anyway,

Todd

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Todd Goodman
From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, cygwin

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Nelson', 'Suhaib M. Siddiqi'; +Cc: 'cygwin'

OK.  Thanks.

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Damian Rouson
From: Damian Rouson @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

I have tried running beta 20.1 of the bash shell on
both Windows 95 & 98.  In both cases, I get the error
"Out of environment space
 Bad command or file name"
upon launching the shell and then shell exits.
(With Win98, the first line is repeated twice.)  My
machine has 128 MB of RAM and 202 MB of free disk
space on the partition on which Cygwin is installed.

Can anybody tell me what's causing this?

Damian

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

>> This is mainly because of the "<drive>:\Program Files" directory, which
is
>> used by both '95 and NT. If they are on the same partition, they use the
>> [...]
>> And yes, you *really* should avoid installing them on the same
>> partition, because of that problem.
>
>Yes, you *really* should avoid to install '95 ;)

ditto :-)  Avoid Win98 too, til Win 200x, comes out.  MS is planning to have
the same kernel, stolen from NT, on all the versions of Windows.

       [not found] ` < 012301be6669$c5d173b0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: cygwin

>Yes, it is a dual-boot NT and Win95 machine.  Yes, they're on the same
>partition.  Please let me know why you think this is not a valid
>configuration.  I believe it is a well supported configuration by
>Microsoft.

Good to know you do not have problems with Cygwin any more.

Regarding the NT and Win95 on the same partition.  I am not sure it is
supported.  The documents I have from Microsoft web site, it clearly
explains how to setup and dual and triple boot machine with NT, Win95
and Dos and possibley Linux.  According this document, it is suggested
each operating system must reside on its own partition.  This document
is not distributed officically distributed by Microsoft, but is written
by one of their Windows Nt engineer and is distributed by him.  I do not
remember the web link any more, but if you darely need it, I will not
mind Faxing it to you.

Regards
Suhaib

@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Michael V. Nikolaev
From: Michael V. Nikolaev @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

Hi!

I think you are attempting to modify properties of MS-DOS application of Windows 95 shortcut, pif-file. Under NT, properties of such files look exactly as you described.

Regards,
Michael

>>> There is no Memory Tab on the NT MS-DOS Prompt Properites dialog.
>The
>>> Tabs should be General, Shortcut, Options, Font, Layout and Colors;
>in
>>> that order.
>>
>>I have General, Program, Font, Memory, Screen, Misc.
>>
>>Program contains a Windows NT button that lets me select the
>autoexec.bat
>>and config.sys
>
>Microsoft does not advice using config.sys on NT.  Please check
>Micorosft Knowledge base on their web pages.  They even advice of not
>using autoexec.bat on NT for env stuff.
>

>>to use (defaulting to %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.BAT and
>CONFIG.SYS).
>>
>>Sure looks like NT to me.
>>

>>> 8<
>>> installation
>>> 8<
>>>
>>> My guess here is that you didn't properly install NT.  Don't know
>what
>>> you've as a result.  I suggest trying it again as this is definitely
>>> not NT.
>>
>>I believe it is installed properly.  I was able to install SP4 after
>all and
>>all NT programs are running OK.
>>
>>Thanks anyway,
>>
>>Todd
>>
>>> ==
>>> -                        \\||//
>>

>--

\x02ÒÐÐ¥v\x16çB\aFò\aVç7V'67&–&R\x06g&öÒ\aF†—2\x06Ɨ7CðÐ¥6VæB\x06\x12\x06ÖW76\x16vR\aFò\x067–wv–â×Vç7V'67&–&T\a6÷W&6Wv\x17&Ræ7–vçW2æ6öÐÐ

* Re: "Out of environment space" error
       [not found] ` < 067c01be65b7$41d82f20$01010e0a@dreamland1.corp.iapetus.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Michael Nelson
From: Michael Nelson @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, Todd Goodman; +Cc: cygwin

       [not found] ` < 002c01be656d$f889e5a0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman, 'Damian Rouson', cygwin

Good to know it.  I assume it could be specific to your NT env.
I am also using NT 4.0 with SP4 on 2 machines.  Both has Cygwin B20.1
installed.  I never had *out of env* problems on my NT 4 with SP 4.
Though, as a thumb rule, I always use a pagefile on all the disks and my
pagefiles
on NT are always twice the size of my physical RAM.  According to my
experience, and also some documents
at microsoft web pages, it improves the performance of NT.

Regards
Suhaib

From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: cygwin users

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Suhaib M. Siddiqi', 'Damian Rouson', cygwin

Yes, it certainly must be something to do with my NT environment
since others have reported that they don't see it.

FWIW, when I was running under Win95 I successfully got rid of
the messages using the steps in the FAQ.

Todd

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >> You are the first NT user I've seen have this problem.
> BTW, where is
> >> the properties window for setting auto memory or 4096 on NT?
> >
> >Right click on the shortcut (which is a short-cut to an
> MSDOS program),
> >select Properties, then Memory Tab, then under Conventional Memory
> there is
> >an Initial Environment drop down box which was set to Auto
> by default.
> >

> Oh you may be better off leaving that the way it was.  That will do no
> good or harm to your Cygwin, in my opinion.  Also Microsoft does not
> advice using a config.sys file on NT.

I have it back at the Auto default.

I have a config.sys file since it is a dual boot to Win95 which is
certainly supported by Microsoft.

> >Perhaps it has to do with my installing NT over an existing 95
> installation
> >on
> >the same drive (a FAT partition).
>
> Did you run the NT partition during installation?  It should
> have taken
> care of it, unless you forced the Nt installed to install OS
> in the same
> directory where Win95 was already installed.  In that case you are in
> big trouble and may consider backing up your data and cleaning the
> disk... then doing a fresh install.

You mean the NT partitioning program?  I ran whatever the installation
brought up (I honestly don't remember).

I didn't force the install anywhere, it went into the default WINNT
directory (windows was in WINDOWS).

Thanks,

Todd

       [not found] ` < 001101be6523$7e32c5f0$3268d1d0@hunda >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Rouson, cygwin

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Suhaib M. Siddiqi', earnie_boyd; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

       [not found] ` < 005801be663a$015a6430$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman, earnie_boyd; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman, 'Damian Rouson', cygwin

By the way, what this actually mean?

>>I have set the properties for auto memory and also
> >4096 with no difference.

I am not aware of properties for auto memory and 4096?  Can you please
enlighten me on this?  Am I missing something on my NT?
Is this something you installed from a shareware or freeware?  If so, it
might very well be a culprit for your problems.

Regards
Suhaib

@ 1999-03-31 19:45       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Suhaib M. Siddiqi', 'Damian Rouson', cygwin

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Suhaib M. Siddiqi', earnie_boyd; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

From: Todd Goodman @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PEGarceau; +Cc: cygwin

Sorry folks, I cannot e-mail it.  I have the document I mentioned in
hard-copy format only.  I do not remember the web link from where I got
it.  It is certainly the best document I came accross on seting up a
dual and triple boot machine. It will guid you to set up NT, Win95 DOS
and LInux on the same machine, step by step and is writen by a Microsoft
Nt engineer.  Do not remeber even his name and is not mentioned in the
document, thought it does have a disclaimer at the end that Microsoft
does not endorse it.

All I can offer is to Fax it to one or two persons maximum.  it is 20
page document.  Unless someone is willing to volunteer and rewrite it in
HTML format and post it on his web pages.  I cannot post it on my web
pages, due to company restrictions.

regards

Suhaib

       [not found] ` < 008a01be65a8$27930450$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, Todd Goodman; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman, earnie_boyd; +Cc: 'cygwin users'

@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Suhaib M. Siddiqi [Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com] wrote:

[...]
>and Dos and possibley Linux.  According this document, it is suggested
>each operating system must reside on its own partition.  This document

This is mainly because of the "<drive>:\Program Files" directory, which is
used by both '95 and NT. If they are on the same partition, they use the
same directory for program files and programs with different versions
for '95 and NT may run into trouble.
And yes, you *really* should avoid installing them on the same
partition, because of that problem.

[...]
>Regards
>Suhaib

Bye.
Michael.
--

       [not found] ` < 006701be65a5$c7773480$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Goodman; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-04 16:44 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen, Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-04 16:41 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke, cygwin

@ 1999-03-04 15:29     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-03-04 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hirmke; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-04 15:14   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1999-03-04 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Suhaib M. Siddiqi [Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com] wrote:

[...]
>and Dos and possibley Linux.  According this document, it is suggested
>each operating system must reside on its own partition.  This document

This is mainly because of the "<drive>:\Program Files" directory, which is
used by both '95 and NT. If they are on the same partition, they use the
same directory for program files and programs with different versions
for '95 and NT may run into trouble.
And yes, you *really* should avoid installing them on the same
partition, because of that problem.

[...]
>Regards
>Suhaib