* NFS server
@ 2001-02-12 12:59 Fabio Fabbri
From: Fabio Fabbri @ 2001-02-12 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

First of all thanks for the cygwin environment. It's great.

Using the sources from
ftp://fr.rpmfind.net/linux/caldera/LTP/col/install/RPMS/nfs-2.2beta50-3.i386
.rpm
and small source modifications I  generate a dog slow NFS server under
cygwin,
and it sort of works. I had to generate a rpcdll with some minor
modifications from
http://www.hirmke.de/software/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Hirmke_Michael
/GNUWin32-links.html#sunrpc-4.0
I modified my /etc/passwd to have my login account with admin privileges on
NT 4.0
seen as root, uid=gid=0. Obviously security is null, but it is a small LAN.
When I export cygwin root, FAT filesystem, with all_squash to root my
clients see all files
-rwxr--r--, the same as I see from a local ls -l.
This means that unless I am root on the clients I cannot write on the
mounted filesystem.
In fhandler.cc the function
int fhandler_disk_file::fstat (struct stat *buf)
says that
      /* | S_IWGRP | S_IWOTH; we don't give write to group etc */
On a FAT filesystem security is always low, so maybe you could set any
writeable file to
-rwxrwxrwx
Well I could try it by myself, but I have a slow connection, and downloading
a snapshot
takes hours. Maybe if you also store CVS informations on the snapshots I may
just download
a snapshot and use it to kickstart CVS updates ...

Thanks

* RE: nfs server
@ 2003-05-14 14:41 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_Casey; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 14 May 2003 Daniel_Casey@jbhunt.com wrote:

> Igot, that did it.

s/Igot/Igor/  ;-)

> Yes, I had more mounts than what I put in the last e-mail, but I didn't
> think the others were relevant.
>
> This is a snapshot of the part of the mount command before:
>
> d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> d:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> d:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
>
> And after running the eval command:
>
> eval "`mount -m | sed -e 's/ -u / -s /g' -e 's/$/;/'`"
>
> d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
> d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
> d:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type user (binmode)
> d:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
> d:\cygwin on / type user (binmode)
> d:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)

FYI, you can now "umount -u /usr/bin /usr/lib /" -- they are not needed.

> I then re-ran the nfs-server-config and I was able to start the CYGWIN
> portmap, CYGWIN nfsd,
> and CYGWIN mountd services from the Win2k Services GUI.
>
> So, when I try to mount the /pub directory that lives on my Win2k/Cygwin
> machines from a remote
> Unix machine, can I just specify /pub or does it have to be the Win2k path?

AFAIK (and I don't know too much about this), the NFS server should look
like any other Unix server -- POSIX paths and all.  It's a port of a Unix
program, after all.

> Thanks for all the help guys!

Glad we could help,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* RE: nfs server
@ 2003-05-14 14:41 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igot, that did it.

@ 2003-05-14  3:40 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-14  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robb, Sam; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Robb, Sam wrote:

> > No.  You want to pass the "-F" option to nfsd, not cygrunsrv.
>
> D'oh!  Ignore my previous blatherings, Igor is, of
> course, correct (as usual :-)
>
> Glad to see that it *looks* like the problem was the
> mount points.  Please let us know if converting to
> global mounts solves the problems.
>
> BTW, general question for the list: is there a way
> to check for user vs. system mounts that would work
> from nfs-server-config?
>
> -Samrobb

Sam,

A quick and dirty way:

if /bin/mount -m | /bin/grep -q ' -s .*"/"'; then
  echo SYSTEM mount exists
else
  echo NO SYSTEM mount
fi

Maybe there's a better one...
Hope this helps,
	Igor
--

@ 2003-05-14  2:34 Robb, Sam
From: Robb, Sam @ 2003-05-14  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-14  0:25 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-14  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_Casey; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 13 May 2003 Daniel_Casey@jbhunt.com wrote:

> This is how the nfs-server-config script does it:
>
> # Install portmap service
> echo "Installing portmap as '$PMAP_D'"
> cygrunsrv.exe -I "portmap" -d "$PMAP_D" -f "$PMAP_F" -p /usr/sbin/portmap -e CYGWIN=ntsec -a "-F"
>
> # Install mountd service
> echo "Installing mountd as '$MNTD_D'"
> cygrunsrv.exe -I "mountd" -d "$MNTD_D" -f "$MNTD_F" -p /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd -e CYGWIN=ntsec --dep portmap -a "-F"
>
> # Install nfsd service
> echo "Installing nfsd as '$NFSD_D'"
> cygrunsrv.exe -I "nfsd" -d "$NFSD_D" -f "$NFSD_F" -p /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd -e CYGWIN=ntsec --dep portmap -a "-F"
>
> So, I should have those options already in there?

Yes.

> Something else I noticed is that the paths to the executable's in this
> script are
>
> /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd, /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd and /usr/sbin/portmap
>
> But they are actually:
>
> /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd.exe, /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd.exe and /usr/sbin/portmap.exe
>
> Does this matter?  I would think so, but just wanted to double check.

It doesn't.  So it looks like your problem is in the mounts...  Make them
system mounts, and it should work.
	Igor
--

@ 2003-05-14  0:01 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-14  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_Casey; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 13 May 2003 Daniel_Casey@jbhunt.com wrote:

> Mount shows:
>
> d:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type user (binmode)
>
> So this is a "just me" installation, correct?

Yes.  That's not the only mount, though, is it? ;-)

> All three CYGWIN services have the "Path to executable" as d:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe.  This is incorrect?

No, this is fine.

> You're saying I need to add something to cygrunsrv.exe so that it will send
> the -F option to nfsd?  Do I add this
> to the CYGWIN portmap service or the CYGWIN nfsd service...or both?
>
> Something like this for the nfsd service:
>
> cygrunsrv -S nfsd -a -F

No.  You'll need to add this when you install the service, i.e., when you
give cygrunsrv the -I option initially.

> And just leave the CYGWIN portmap and mountd services as d:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe?
>
> Still don't understand why portmap will start from the Cygwin shell, but
> won't start through Services.

Because the service tries to start /usr/sbin/portmap, and, since it runs
as SYSTEM, it doesn't know where /usr/sbin/ *is* (because there are no
mounts for that user).

Your choices are

1) change your mounts to global mounts, by running something like

   eval "`mount -m | sed -e 's/ -u / -s /g' -e 's/$/;/'`"

or 2) add mounts for the SYSTEM user.

Choice #1 is usually preferable.
	Igor
--

@ 2003-05-13 23:36 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-13 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-13 22:25 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-13 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mount shows:

@ 2003-05-13 21:53 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-05-13 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_Casey; +Cc: Robb, Sam, cygwin

On Tue, 13 May 2003 Daniel_Casey@jbhunt.com wrote:

> Actually, can't remember if it's installed to All Users or just me.  Would
> that matter?

FYI, the output of "mount" should show that (i.e., if /bin is a system
mount, you've installed for "All Users", and if it's a user mount, then it
was "Just Me").

> When I go to Computer Management using the MMC, locate Services on the left
> hand side (looks just like Services in the AdminTools in Control Panel)
> and then click Properties for CYGWIN portmap, I see "Path to executable" as
> d:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe and "Start Parameters" is blank.  Should I
> insert a -F ?

No.  You want to pass the "-F" option to nfsd, not cygrunsrv.  What you
should do is read the output of "cygrunsrv --help" and figure out how to
pass that option to nfsd (you will need to reexecute the "cygrunsrv -I ..."
command).
	Igor

--

@ 2003-05-13 21:39 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-13 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robb, Sam; +Cc: cygwin

Actually, can't remember if it's installed to All Users or just me.  Would
that matter?

When I go to Computer Management using the MMC, locate Services on the left
hand side (looks just like Services in the AdminTools in Control Panel)
and then click Properties for CYGWIN portmap, I see "Path to executable" as
d:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe and "Start Parameters" is blank.  Should I
insert a -F ?

Thanks.

|         |           "Robb, Sam"      |
|         |           <sam.robb@timesys|
|         |           .com>            |
|         |           cygwin-owner@cygw|
|         |           in.com           |
|         |           05/13/2003 16:04 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       <cygwin@cygwin.com>                                                                                                          |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: nfs server                                                                                                               |

@ 2003-05-13 21:25 Robb, Sam
From: Robb, Sam @ 2003-05-13 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-05-13 20:33 Robb, Sam
From: Robb, Sam @ 2003-05-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> But, I don't see it running under Win2k services.  Do I need to start
> mountd and/or nfsd through the Services?

Did you run the /bin/nfs-server-config script?  This should
install portmap, mountd, and nfsd as services for you, and
create a sample /etc/exports file if you don't already have
one.

Once those services are installed, you should be able to
see them in the Services view.  You can start them from that
view; or, from a command line, you should be able to type

# net start nfsd

...and see portmap, mountd, and nfsd start (in that order.)

> So, if /etc/exports has /pub  (ro,all_squash), is there a
> command I can run to see if it's ready to be mounted remotely?

Try "showmount --exports <ip_address>".  On my RedHat install,
at least, showmount is installed in /usr/sbin.

> BTW, /pub is just a directory, not a filesystem, so it's
> hanging off of /.
> Does it have to be an FS?

No - directory is fine.

-Samrobb

* Re: nfs server
@ 2003-05-13 20:31 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hmmm.  Interesting.  It start from the command line.  I just went to
/usr/sbin and type portmap and then checked for the process and it was
there.

user01@hostA /usr/sbin
$ portmap

user01@hostA /usr/sbin
$ ps -ef|grep port
 user01     516       1   ?  15:13:26 /usr/sbin/portmap

@ 2003-05-13 20:23 Robb, Sam
From: Robb, Sam @ 2003-05-13 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Daniel,

  Do you have another portmap service installed and
running?  Try running portmap from the command line -
if it's unable to bind to the default port, it will
say so.

-Samrobb

* nfs server
@ 2003-05-13 19:18 Daniel_Casey
From: Daniel_Casey @ 2003-05-13 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1997-08-25  6:51 ` Ron G. Minnich
From: Ron G. Minnich @ 1997-08-25  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dahms; +Cc: demircio, gnu-win32, dahms

try the linux nfs server, user mode. I almost got it going once just for fun.

Ron Minnich                |Java: an operating-system-independent,
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |architecture-independent programming language
(609)-734-3120             |for Windows/95 and Windows/NT on the Pentium
ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html

-

* Re: NFS Server
       [not found] <199708241719.MAA32270@cirrusnet.com>
@ 1997-08-25  6:51 ` Murat Demircioglu
From: Murat Demircioglu @ 1997-08-25  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

	Hi,

 Thanx for your help.. I got sossnt. It also has the source
code and it works great...

 And one more question:
 If i port linux user level nfs server to NT with cygnus tools may
it be sold? I'm writing a commercial product for newspapers and i want to
bundle an NFS server with it..

Murat Demircioglu
<demircio@boun.edu.tr>

-

* RE: NFS Server
@ 1997-08-24 21:07 dahms
From: dahms @ 1997-08-24 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: demircio; +Cc: gnu-win32, dahms

Hi Murat, you wrote:

: Is there a free NFS server for NT ? Is it possible to port Unix NFS
: servers to NT with gnu-32. ?

I do it the other way using SAMBA on unix.
(Only gotcha it stopped after applying NT4.0 SP3! I had to set a registry
entry to re-enable plaintext passwords, as explained in MS Knowledge Base
article Q166730.)
Note the traditional NFS uses UDP, not TCP. IIRC UDP isn't supported yet.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-

* NFS Server
@ 1997-08-20 14:12 Murat Demircioglu