* Re: linking application with a library
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Mohammad Saleem
From: Mohammad Saleem @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, crossgcc

Hi David,

Thanks for your input.

I tried with the flags you mentioned in your mail like:

# how to compile C source
%.o: %.c
    @echo compiling $<
    $(CC) -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections $(CFLAGS)  $(INCLUDE) $<
-o    $@

Even with link I tried with a flag --gc-sections (found by searching in
mail archives) like:

test.srec: $(OBJ) appcon.o
    $(LD) --gc-sections $(LDFLAGS)   $^ mylib.a $(LIBS) -o $@

But still I get the same size of srec as before, i.e my application is
increased by the size of mylib.a even without any function call from
mylib.a, along with a number of warnings like:

compiling appcon.c
h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
`._init'
h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
`.configu'
h8300-hitachi-hms-ld: warning: no memory region specified for section
`.timerIn'

What am I doing something wrong?

regards

/Mohammad

@ 2001-11-14 19:24 ` anitak
From: anitak @ 2001-11-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammad Saleem, cygwin, crossgcc

Hi Mohammad,
The --gc-sections remove unwanted section. But I think it is implemented
only for ELF for some targets. For hms it does not work. Try with
h8300-elf-ld.
Regards,
Anita Kulkarni

http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/
> Want to unsubscribe? Send a note to
crossgcc-unsubscribe@sourceware.cygnus.com

* Re: linking application with a library
@ 2001-11-21 20:35   ` anitak

@ 2001-11-12  5:12   ` Mohammad Saleem
From: Mohammad Saleem @ 2001-11-12  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kai.ruottu; +Cc: crossgcc, cygwin

Hi Kai,

Thanks for answer.
regards

/Mohammad

       [not found] <21558852.1006167645775.JavaMail.hip-pop@porkkana>
@ 2001-11-12  2:47 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2001-11-12  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammad Saleem; +Cc: crossgcc, cygwin

From: Mohammad Saleem @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crossgcc, cygwin

Hi all,

I am using h8300-hitachi-hms-gcc cross-complier for building my application.
I have a lib mylib.a (20 kb) which I want to link with my application.
My application gets 20 kb bigger as soon as I link it with mylib.a
without any function being called from mylib.a.
It seems to me that I have built mylib.a so that the whole lib is linked
during linking process even if no one method is being called.
Now my question is which flag should I use to build mylib.a so that only
those functions are linked which are being called.
If no function is called then linking mylib.a shouldn't affect the size
of my application.

Thanks for help.

regards
/Mohammad

* Re: linking application with a library
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` vipin aravind
From: vipin aravind @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohammad Saleem, crossgcc, cygwin

I  think you  are  static linking  thats  why.  its a  choice  if you  want
to dynamically link  the  library in which case it would  have  stubs  which
does the getprocaddress  internally at runtime  while  the actual code
resides in the dll and hence  your  executeable code  would  become small in
size.
vipin

> Hi all,
>
> I am using h8300-hitachi-hms-gcc cross-complier for building my
application.
> I have a lib mylib.a (20 kb) which I want to link with my application.
> My application gets 20 kb bigger as soon as I link it with mylib.a
> without any function being called from mylib.a.
> It seems to me that I have built mylib.a so that the whole lib is linked
> during linking process even if no one method is being called.
> Now my question is which flag should I use to build mylib.a so that only
> those functions are linked which are being called.
> If no function is called then linking mylib.a shouldn't affect the size
> of my application.
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> regards
> /Mohammad
>

> --

[-- Attachment #2: InterScan_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 856 bytes --]

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.

* RE: linking application with a library
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: David Korn @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)