* inetd telnet slowness
@ 2002-09-06 14:23 Bruce Dobrin
From: Bruce Dobrin @ 2002-09-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wrote about a month ago with this problem,  but didn't manage to work out
a viable solution.

If I stop inetd and run "in.telnetd -debug"  All is well.  It appears to
capture the machine/user correctly and  I am imediately logged in (bypassing
the login/passwd prompt).

With inetd running, telnet starts,  then hangs for about 3 minutes,  finaly
ginving me a "Login:" prompt.  I assume that Inetd didn't pass usable
machine/user information to the in.telnetd,  and that the delay and eventual
"login:" prompt is in.telnetd  timing out waiting for  login information,
but I could be wrong about this.  Rlogind works fine with inetd,  and I
assume it uses a similar validation mechanism.   I'd appreciate any
assistance.

The diff of the Debug logs with and without inetd:

with inetd:
-------------cut--------------
td: send suboption NEW-ENVIRON SEND
td: send suboption TERMINAL-TYPE SEND
td: ttloop
td: netflush 249 chars
td: ttloop read 73 chars
td: netflush 26 chars
td: recv suboption NAWS 0 80 (80) 0 25 (25)
-------------cut----------------
.......XON VARIABLE|ACK 17; XOFF VARIABLE|ACK 19; FORW1 VARIABLE|ACK 0;
FORW2 VARIABLE|ACK 0;
td: netflush 404 chars
td: Entering processing loop
#####
##right here is where it hangs for 3 minutes}
#####
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) (genevieve) (tty2)
td: netflush 84 chars
td: netread 9 chars
td: recv do ECHO
td: recv will BINARY
td: recv wont LINEMODE
td: netflush 85 chars
login: td: netflush 7 chars
-------------cut----------------

Without inetd:
-------------cut----------------
td: send suboption NEW-ENVIRON SEND
td: send suboption TERMINAL-TYPE SEND
td: ttloop
td: netflush 249 chars
td: ttloop read 131 chars
td: netflush 27 chars
td: recv suboption NAWS 0 80 (80) 0 25 (25)
-------------cut----------------
......XON VARIABLE|ACK 17; XOFF VARIABLE|ACK 19; FORW1 VARIABLE|ACK 0; FORW2
VARIABLE|ACK 0;
td: netflush 404 chars
td: Entering processing loop
td: netflush 30 chars
td: netread 9 chars
td: recv do ECHO
td: recv will BINARY
td: recv wont LINEMODE
td: netflush 85 chars
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!

* RE: inetd telnet slowness
@ 2002-10-15  9:13 lhall
From: lhall @ 2002-10-15  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danilo.turina, cygwin

Sorry if I was unclear.  I meant that you need to gather more information
about the problem to see if you can find it's source.  This may mean
building
and debugging telnet and/or inetd (probably just telnet).  You might be
able
to tell something by running telnet with strace.  The key is to figure out
who's responsible for generating the network path name starting with
"//.terminfo".  This is the reason you see the slowness.  If you can find
the
source of that path and eliminate it, this will fix your problem.

Larry

From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-10-15  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall, cygwin

 > [snip]
 >  > It's definitely correlated to your problem but I can't tell
 >  > you what's
 >  > generating it specifically.  You'll need to debug it more it seems.
 > [snip]
 >
 > What do you need with "debug it more"? I don't know how to
               ^^^^

@ 2002-10-15  0:53 Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-10-15  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall, cygwin

[snip]
 > It's definitely correlated to your problem but I can't tell
 > you what's
 > generating it specifically.  You'll need to debug it more it seems.
[snip]

What do you need with "debug it more"? I don't know how to proceed, can
you give some hint?

Thank you,

			Danilo Turina

Danilo Turina