* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
       [not found] <200107180941.KAA16581@ireserver.Ireland.Sun.COM>
@ 2001-07-18  6:39 ` Michael A. Chase
From: Michael A. Chase @ 2001-07-18  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Armin Theissen, cygwin

----- Original Message -----
From: "Armin Theissen" <Armin.Theissen@Sun.COM>
To: <mchase@ix.netcom.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 02:41
Subject: Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?

> thanks for all your help on that issue. We got the patch working
> now.
>
> First, Corrina's suggestion of forgetting the 'type' works, but
> the patch is part of a makefile which should work for unix platforms
> as well (openoffice.org) and the type command is needed there for
> reasons I don't know right now ( = I don't build the unix stuff).
> Then, it makes no difference whether I use the newest latest cygwin
> or the old one (which we need to compile openoffice.org properly
> from the 4nt shell using cygwin tools).
> Last but not least, the line-ends. The solution to make the patch
> working is
>
> type patch-file-name | tr -d "\015"| patch -b -p2

In UNIX, 'type' may be used to search for a command in the directories
listed in $PATH.  In MSDOS, 'type' copies its input file to STDOUT which is
more like UNIX 'cat'.  That leads me to believe you are already in a MSDOS
(or 4nt) specific section of your makefile.

What problems prevent you from compiling openoffice.org using the latest
Cygwin?  If you have problems in the future with the old version, you are
going to have a hard time finding anyone to help.

--
Mac :})

* RE: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-18 12:14 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2001-07-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Armin Theissen', cygwin

Hi Armin,

if you edit your makefile anyway you can as well use Corinna's original
suggestion:

	patch -b -p2 -i ../../db-3.2.9.patch

or I'd use the unixy way:

	patch -b -p2 < ../../db-3.2.9.patch

or for best portability conditionally set a variable to cat or type:

	$CAT patch-file-name | patch -b -p2

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-gmbh.de)

	[Heribert]  [snip]

* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-18  2:42 Armin Theissen
From: Armin Theissen @ 2001-07-18  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

@ 2001-07-17  9:57   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:39:28AM -0700, Michael A. Chase wrote:
> You appear to be using a rather old version of the Cygwin environment
> (C:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\).  A newer version of Cygwin with the
> patch.exe built for it might work better.

Oi. I missed that obvious hint. Thanks, Michael!

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-17  9:46   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:16:49PM +0200, Oliver Nittka wrote:
> Armin Theissen <Armin.Theissen@Sun.COM> writes:
>
> > Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
>
> this sometimes happend to me when the patchfile had dos-style line
> endings and the file(s) to patch hadn't (or vice versa).
>
> mybe "type" does something to your file ?
>
> i usually work around this by opening the patchfile in emacs and save
> it using "set-buffer-file-coding-system".

_Did_ you try the easy way I suggested? Does it happen then, too?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-17  9:44 ` Michael A. Chase

@ 2001-07-17  9:23 ` Oliver Nittka
From: Oliver Nittka @ 2001-07-17  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Armin Theissen <Armin.Theissen@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.

this sometimes happend to me when the patchfile had dos-style line
endings and the file(s) to patch hadn't (or vice versa).

mybe "type" does something to your file ?

i usually work around this by opening the patchfile in emacs and save
it using "set-buffer-file-coding-system".

HTH
   -- oly
--
Oliver Nittka              | nittka@esem.com
ESEM Grünau GmbH & Co. KG  | http://www.esem.com

* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-17  6:26 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:49:00PM +0100, Armin Theissen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the patch plainly fails:
>
> cd build\wntmsci7.pro && (type ..\..\db-3.2.9.patch | patch -b -p2) &&
> C:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\touch.exe so_patched

Erm, did you try the simple version?

	patch -b -p2 -i ../../db-3.2.9.patch

And why do you mix that stuff with using native windows `type' and
using \ instead of /?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: does patch.exe work different than other unx patch tools?
@ 2001-07-17  5:49 Armin Theissen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Armin Theissen @ 2001-07-17  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

the patch plainly fails:

cd build\wntmsci7.pro && (type ..\..\db-3.2.9.patch | patch -b -p2) &&
C:\cygnus\CYGWIN~1\H-I586~1\bin\touch.exe so_patched
patching file `db-3.2.9/cxx/cxx_app.cpp'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to db-3.2.9/cxx/cxx_app.cpp.rej
patching file `db-3.2.9/cxx/cxx_table.cpp'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to db-3.2.9/cxx/cxx_table.cpp.rej
patching file `db-3.2.9/dist/Makefile.in'
Hunk #1 FAILED at 8.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to db-3.2.9/dist/Makefile.in.rej
dmake:	Error code 129, while making 'build\wntmsci7.pro\so_patched'
---*TG_SLO.MK*---

a.

http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html )

@ 2001-07-17  4:49 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-07-17  2:40 Armin Theissen
From: Armin Theissen @ 2001-07-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I searched the website for this problem, but cannot find anything
so I want to ask you here.

I have a patch (see attachment, supposed to patch three files down the
directory tree) which won't work using the patch.exe tool provided with
cygwin. However, it works perfectly with other patch.exe tools
(UnxUtils from http://www.edv.agrar.tu-muenchen.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html )
and on unix systems itself.

I wonder what could make the patch work with the cygwin patching
tool.

The patch command is 'patch -b -p2'

Any ideas?

thanks

armin

Armin dot Theissen at sun dot com           phone +353 1 819 9080
SUN Microsystems Ireland                       (SUN intern 19080)
East Point Business Park, Boole House   Dublin 3, Rep. of Ireland