* Infected Perl?
@ 2001-02-17 18:44 David_Abrahams
From: David_Abrahams @ 2001-02-17 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

during a cygwin update, McAfee virus scan reports:
The file
C:\temp\cygwin\contrib\perl\perl-5.6.1-1.tar.gz.tmp\PERL-5.6.1-1.TAR.GZ is
infected and cannot be cleaned
The file C:\temp\cygwin\contrib\perl\perl-5.6.1-1.tar.gz\PERL-5.6.1-1.TAR
is
infected and cannot be cleaned
(and one other Perl-related file which didn't save the report for)

Is there any chance that this isn't just misinformation?

Thanks,
Dave

(p.s. Please respond to my home email address: abrahams@mediaone.net - for
some reason you are blocking mail from my mailserver).

* Re: Infected Perl?
@ 2001-02-17 18:59 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David_Abrahams, cygwin; +Cc: abrahams

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 09:41:16PM -0500, David_Abrahams@dragonsys.com wrote:
>(p.s. Please respond to my home email address: abrahams@mediaone.net - for
>some reason you are blocking mail from my mailserver).

The reason for the blockage should be clear from the bounce message in the email
that you receive.  It should instruct you to go to a URL which explains things.

If you are subscribed to the mailing list you won't see this, so if you subscribe
abrahams@mediaone.net you will be able to post.

cgf

* Re: Infected Perl?
@ 2001-02-17 22:20 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-02-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David_Abrahams

McAfee always reports most .gz files, and many Windows program
installers, as viruses.  I found McAfee intolerable, and went into the
Add/Remove menu to reconfigure with all available options turned off.
You ought to be able to add .gz to a list of excluded file types, but
you may still find that McAfee slows your cygwin scripts by a factor of
5 or more.  I found scripts dying and my T20 going into standby, even
though I disabled file checking.  Even Office 2000 runs intolerably slow
or dies on W2K with McAfee in default configuration; our 700 Mhz laptops
act like 70 Mhz.  Not a satisfactory situation, as we do get real
viruses in Office files.