Coronna, That is exactly what I did when I realized the UID trick doesn't work under cygwin. In fact I wrote myself a short script as "/usr/local/bin/su" to use in place of "/usr/bin/su". Like most scripts I write I found I really don't use it. I just keep it around incase something I download includes a script or a Makefile that requires a working version of su. Bill > That's way easier: > > Add a home dir and a useful shell to SYSTEM's /etc/passwd entry: > > SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18:/home/system:/bin/bash > > Then: Install sshd as service, create a private/public key pair, put > the public key into /home/system/.ssh/authorized_keys and login to your > system using `ssh -l system localhost'. > > > Or: Install inetd as service, remove the `*' from SYSTEM's password > field and login to localhost using rlogin or telnet. > > Corinna > > - >