* Invoking MODE.COM crashes cygwin bash!!! (Win95)
@ 2000-09-16 15:51 Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-09-16 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi there again,

you just need  to type mode.com and confirm it with return and cygwin bash
will
crash with throwing an exception.

Not good.
Perhaps I need to tweak some settings?

Andreas

* Re: Invoking MODE.COM crashes cygwin bash!!! (Win95)
@ 2000-09-16 16:00 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-09-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Andreas Eibach wrote:
>Hi there again,
>
>you just need to type mode.com and confirm it with return and cygwin
>bash will crash with throwing an exception.

I type "mode.com" and it gives me lots of info my com, printer, and console.
There is no confirming with return necessary.

>Not good.  Perhaps I need to tweak some settings?

I can't imagine what they would be.  Please send cygcheck -r -s -v output
to this mailing list and maybe someone will be able to figure out what's
wrong.

cgf

* Re: Invoking MODE.COM crashes cygwin bash!!! (Win95)
@ 2000-09-17  6:54   ` Jeffrey Juliano
From: Jeffrey Juliano @ 2000-09-17  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--On Saturday, September 16, 2000 6:59 PM -0400 Chris Faylor
<cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Andreas Eibach wrote:
>> Hi there again,
>>
>> you just need to type mode.com and confirm it with return and cygwin
>> bash will crash with throwing an exception.
>
> I type "mode.com" and it gives me lots of info my com, printer, and
> console. There is no confirming with return necessary.

Chris and Andreas,

I just tried this on my win98 laptop.  I got a system popup box saying
something about an illegal operation.  It doesn't look like what I'm used
to seeing when an app segfaults in winNT, but for all I know this may be a
standard window for segfaults in win9x.

I dismissed the window, and my "BASH" app didn't actually die.  It's still
in the task bar, and there's a dead window on the screen that won't redraw
itself or go away.

Double-clicking on the Cygwin icon on my desktop does *not* bring up a new
bash window so that I can try this again or give you cygcheck output.

...OK, I just killed WinOldApp in the "task manager", and now things seem
normal again.  Let's see...strange, when I try to reproduce this by typing
mode.com in a new bash window, I get what looks like the expected output.
The first time I tried this, I had just run a fresh instance of bash while
no other cygwin apps had been running (cygwin1.dll wasn't already loaded).

Anyway, cygcyeck output is attached.

-jeff

* Re: MODE.COM crashes cygwin bash!!! (Win95) ...aah GODDAMNIT....!!!
@ 2000-09-18  6:53   ` Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-09-18  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I can't imagine what they would be.  Please send cygcheck -r -s -v output
> to this mailing list and maybe someone will be able to figure out what's
> wrong.

Chris,

Bloody hell...!!

I tried to copy a "fresh" MODE.COM from my original CD CABs and what
happened?
Now it works, just as you said.

(Well I tried to type mode.com in my DOS box in Win95 and it crashed the
same way!)

So I apologize for having blamed cygwin without a right, ;)

;))
Andreas