* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-08 15:07 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-08 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, hcobb; +Cc: cygwin

>> Ergo, if you buy such a product, you MUST NOT run any other software
that
>> loads the cygwin1.dll, because either you would be making their
product
>> load the GPL'd dll or your GPL software would be loading the license
>> restricted dll.
>
>Since Windows checks the directory the executable runs from before the
>PATH, this shouldn't be a problem if the dll is stored with the
>executable and you manage your path properly.  Yes, I know it doesn't
>always work that way.  If you have two cygwin1.dlls in your PATH and
>they're incompatible, you might have other problems anyway.

Is this GLD or GPL-jokes?
If so, one will be better of not using any software.  GPL licensing from
GNU is a mess anyway.

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie, hcobb; +Cc: cygwin

       [not found]     ` < 199903082247.RAA11818@envy.delorie.com >
       [not found]     ` <199903082259.RAA18063@delorie.com>
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ssiddiqi; +Cc: cygwin

> Yes, I am referring to a commercial customer (PGI) who officially
> distribute it as a bundled product:

If a customer buys a commercial redistribution cygwin license from us,
and uses cygwin1.dll in their application, they may distribute
cygwin1.dll with their application since their app requires
cygwin1.dll to function.

However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
than running their applictions.

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45         ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: Ssiddiqi, cygwin

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Henderson, cygwin

From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fergus Henderson; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 06:01:14AM +1100, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>On 08-Mar-1999, Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> >The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
>> >I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???
>>
>> If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
>> *must* be GPLed.
>
>I don't think that is correct.  I believe the "commercial compiler"
>that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
>"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)
>
>If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license for
>Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
>Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount of
>cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.

That's right.  As the license holder for cygwin we reserve the right to
distribute the code under a different licensing agreement.

We do allow our customers to distribute code linked with the DLL under
other terms than the GPL -- for a fee.

I don't believe that Suhaib is referring to our own products however, and
I don't believe that he is referring to a commercial customer of Cygnus.

cgf

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
       [not found] ` < 008f01be69b6$f4fa6ed0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>I don't think that is correct.  I believe the "commercial compiler"
>>that Suhaib M. Siddiqi is referring to may be the one known as the
>>"Cygnus GNUPro Development Tools" ;-)
>>
>>If I understand things correctly, it *is* possible to get a license
for
>>Cygwin that allows you to link proprietry code which incorporates the
>>Cygwin crt0 file --- you just need to fork over the appropriate amount
of
>>cash to Cygnus to pay for that license.
>
>That's right.  As the license holder for cygwin we reserve the right to
>distribute the code under a different licensing agreement.
>
>We do allow our customers to distribute code linked with the DLL under
>other terms than the GPL -- for a fee.
>
>I don't believe that Suhaib is referring to our own products however,
and
>I don't believe that he is referring to a commercial customer of
Cygnus.

>cgf

Yes, I am referring to a commercial customer (PGI) who officially
distribute
it as a bundled product:

here is a paragraph from their brochures.  I do not accept illegal
software and do not allow others to make illegal copies of my licensed
software.

Suhaib

* PGHPF Workstation
    - Command-level F77 compiler
    - Command-level F90 compiler
    - Command-level HPF compiler
    - Supported on Linux/Solaris86/NT
    - Full HPF support for multi-processor (SMP) systems
    - Threads-based SMP auto-parallelization in F77/F90
    - Native directive-based OpenMP parallelization in F77/F90
    - SGI C$DOACROSS directive supported in F77/F90
    - Byte-swapping unformatted I/O (big-endian to little)
    - Executables utilize up to 4 processors
    - Cray/DEC/IBM compatibility (including Cray POINTERs)
    - PGPROF performance profiler (command-level only on NT)
    - PGDBG symbolic debugger (not yet available on NT)
    - UNIX-like command environment bundled on NT   <---note
this----------------
    - Node-locked single-user license

    PGHPF Workstation 1 Year Subscription

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Chris Faylor, Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor, Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 08:14:22PM -0500, Tripp Lilley wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> If a program is built using the cygwin stub library (-lcygwin) it *must*
>> be GPLed.  This is not an optional thing.  It's a legal requirement.
>
>If the program is not built using the cygwin stub, but /does/ link to the
>DLL using the OS' dynamic linking facility, does it still have to be
>distributed under the GPL?

I am not an expert but I believe that if you avoid using libcygwin.a and
(more importantly) crt0.o then you'd probably be safe.

cgf

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
       [not found]   ` < 19990308104616.E789@cygnus.com >
       [not found]   ` <19990309060114.17632@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 09:11:57PM -0500, Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>.
>>>
>>>If the program is not built using the cygwin stub, but /does/ link to the
>>>DLL using the OS' dynamic linking facility, does it still have to be
>>>distributed under the GPL?
>>
>>I am not an expert but I believe that if you avoid using libcygwin.a and
>>(more importantly) crt0.o then you'd probably be safe.
>
>The crt0.o and cygwin1.dll comes with another commercial compiler too.
>I do not think the GPL is valid there, to get that you need to pay first???

If someone is distributing code which incorporates our crt0 file then it
*must* be GPLed.

If they are just distributing the crt0.o module and cygwin1.dll then they
must make source code available for both.

cgf

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45       ` Fergus Henderson, Fergus Henderson
From: Fergus Henderson, Fergus Henderson @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, cygwin

By the way, you typed cygwin@cygnus.com. I hit the reply button and it
bounces :-)
Suhaib

@ 1999-03-31 19:45       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, cygwin

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 01:56:18AM +0100, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:
>> By the way, you typed cygwin@cygnus.com. I hit the reply button and it
>> bounces :-)
>> Suhaib
>
>yep, it seems as if all mailing list mails from Chris go to
>xxx@cygnus.com. This may be ok for the cygnus.com domain but this makes
>filtering for various mailing list more problematic on our user side.
>
>I would ask you Chris kindly to send all mails to sourceware.cygnus.com
>as we users do too. This would really ease filtering and replying
>mechanisms.

Someone started this thread by sending mail to cygwin@cygnus.com .  I did reply
to a couple of messages in this thread with this email address but I can assure
you that I didn't start using the erroneous email address.  It doesn't work
any better for me than it does for anyone else.

cgf

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj; +Cc: Ssiddiqi, cygwin

>However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
>GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
>and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
>than running their applictions.

Ergo, if you buy such a product, you MUST NOT run any other software that
loads the cygwin1.dll, because either you would be making their product
load the GPL'd dll or your GPL software would be loading the license
restricted dll.

At least Big Blue thought at least this far and required you to rename and
trim out their C++ library DLLs for your products.

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
       [not found] ` < 00a701be69ba$27d003d0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ssiddiqi; +Cc: dj, cygwin

The IBM C++ compiler shipped with a tool to rename their library DLLs so that
your product would ship with your own version of their DLLs and would not
conflict with any other program that was built with their compiler.

(At the expense of more memory and CPU time...)

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, dj; +Cc: cygwin

>>However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
>>GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
>>and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
>>than running their applictions.
>
>Ergo, if you buy such a product, you MUST NOT run any other software
that
>loads the cygwin1.dll, because either you would be making their product
>load the GPL'd dll or your GPL software would be loading the license
>restricted dll.

This absolutely vague.  If this is so, then why someone should buy that
product???

>At least Big Blue thought at least this far and required you to rename
and
>trim out their C++ library DLLs for your products.

What does it mean?

From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Fergus Henderson, cygwin

We're investigating this now.

I certainly am not aware of every one of our commercial customers so it
is possible that this company has purchased a commercial license from us.

If they haven't, perhaps they've bundled things in such as way as to avoid
the GPL requirement.

cgf

http://www.cygnus.com/

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dj, cygwin

...shipped with a tool to rename their library DLLs so that
>your product would ship with your own version of their DLLs and would
not
>conflict with any other program that was built with their compiler.
>
>(At the expense of more memory and CPU time...)

Regradless, it is a good idea.  I was not aware of it.

From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

>> Yes, I am referring to a commercial customer (PGI) who officially
>> distribute it as a bundled product:
>
>If a customer buys a commercial redistribution cygwin license from us,
>and uses cygwin1.dll in their application, they may distribute
>cygwin1.dll with their application since their app requires
>cygwin1.dll to function.
>
>However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
>GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
>and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
>than running their applictions.

That is understood.

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re:         [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
       [not found]   ` < 36E5C331.2C0B@uni-duesseldorf.de >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Chris Faylor, cygwin

Suhaib M. Siddiqi wrote:

> By the way, you typed cygwin@cygnus.com. I hit the reply button and it
> bounces :-)
> Suhaib

yep, it seems as if all mailing list mails from Chris go to
xxx@cygnus.com. This may be ok for the cygnus.com domain but this makes
filtering for various mailing list more problematic on our user side.

I would ask you Chris kindly to send all mails to sourceware.cygnus.com
as we users do too. This would really ease filtering and replying
mechanisms.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>
Cygwin Porting Project

@ 1999-03-09 17:47     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-09 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: Suhaib M. Siddiqi, cygwin

@ 1999-03-09 17:39 ` Stipe Tolj
       [not found]   ` < 36E5C331.2C0B@uni-duesseldorf.de >
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-03-09 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Chris Faylor, cygwin

       [not found] <006a01be69b6$90433300$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com>
@ 1999-03-08 15:23 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-08 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhaib M. Siddiqi; +Cc: Fergus Henderson, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 15:09 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: dj, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 15:06   ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ssiddiqi; +Cc: dj, cygwin

The IBM C++ compiler shipped with a tool to rename their library DLLs so that
your product would ship with your own version of their DLLs and would not
conflict with any other program that was built with their compiler.

(At the expense of more memory and CPU time...)

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
@ 1999-03-08 15:02 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
       [not found] ` < 00a701be69ba$27d003d0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb, dj; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 15:01       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 1999-03-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hcobb; +Cc: Ssiddiqi, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 14:59       ` Henry J. Cobb
From: Henry J. Cobb @ 1999-03-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dj; +Cc: Ssiddiqi, cygwin

@ 1999-03-08 14:50 Suhaib M. Siddiqi
From: Suhaib M. Siddiqi @ 1999-03-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

>> Yes, I am referring to a commercial customer (PGI) who officially
>> distribute it as a bundled product:
>
>If a customer buys a commercial redistribution cygwin license from us,
>and uses cygwin1.dll in their application, they may distribute
>cygwin1.dll with their application since their app requires
>cygwin1.dll to function.
>
>However, this does NOT mean that the cygwin1.dll they include is a
>GPL'd product - you must treat it like any other proprietary software,
>and neither copy nor redistribute it, nor use it for anything other
>than running their applictions.

That is understood.

* Re: Does GPL apply without Cygwin stub? [long and off-topic] (was Re: [ANN] Cygwin DEV survey)
       [not found] ` < 008f01be69b6$f4fa6ed0$29acdfd0@InspirePharm.Com >
@ 1999-03-08 14:47   ` DJ Delorie
       [not found]     ` < 199903082247.RAA11818@envy.delorie.com >
                       ` (3 more replies)