* RE: Missing libc documentation
@ 2002-07-26  6:52 Demmer, Thomas
From: Demmer, Thomas @ 2002-07-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'derbyshire@globalserve.net'; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Well, setup says during an upgrade that it first
uninstalls the old package, and then installs the new one.
Which files to uninstall it finds in /etc/setup/package.
I don't know if it checks if one of the files has changed,
and then not delete them but rename them to foo.old or
so. At least, this would be helpful for files like /etc/profile

This approach is basically a good idea, as it gurantees a clean
install. However, this fails if some files are omitted by the package
maintainer. I am pretty sure this did not happen on purpose
(unless cgf wants to be mean again :-)

How to extract the files manually:
1) Check if you happen to have cygwin-1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 in
 your download directory
2) If not, use setup to download this version. (I hope, it is still
 available, this is unchecked)
3) In a bash window, issue the following commands:
cd /
tar -vjxf
/pathtodownloaddirectory/some_cryptic_name_for_mirror/release/cygwin/cygwin-
1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 usr/info

(all in one line, in case Outlook butchered the line).
In my case it is
tar -vjxf
/cygdrive/h/cygwin/ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.inf.tu-dresden.de%2fsoftware%2fwindows%2f
cygwin32/release/cygwin/cygwin-1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 /usr/info

And finally:
/etc/postinstall/update-info-dir.sh.done

HTH

Ciao
Tom

@ 2002-07-26  8:21 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-26  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Demmer, Thomas, derbyshire; +Cc: cygwin

===
> Well, setup says during an upgrade that it first
> uninstalls the old package, and then installs the new one.
> Which files to uninstall it finds in /etc/setup/package.
> I don't know if it checks if one of the files has changed,
> and then not delete them but rename them to foo.old or
> so. At least, this would be helpful for files like /etc/profile

/etc/profile is not in any package. It is created if it is absent.
Hopefully we will soon be putting it in a package, but as
/etc/profile.default, and copying that over if it is missing.

Cheers,
Rob

* RE: Missing libc documentation
@ 2002-07-26 14:31 ` Paul Derbyshire
From: Paul Derbyshire @ 2002-07-26 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26 Jul 2002 at 13:56, Demmer, Thomas wrote:

> > $ tar -vjxf
> > /cygdrive/c/cygwin/ftp%3a%2f%2farchive.progeny.com%2fcygwin/release
> > /cygwin/cygwin-1.3.10-1.tar.bz2 /usr/info
> > tar: /usr/info: Not found in archive
> > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> >
> > OK, next suggestion please... *sigh*
> 	[Demmer, Thomas]
> 	Omit the leading slash before usr. If I had it in my previous mail,
> my fault, sorry.

I'll try it. I just hope it doesn't extract files into a ~/usr/info
directory...

...Well, it extracted something and didn't generate an error message,
but "info libc" still doesn't do anything useful...

...Sure enough, it created a usr directory in the local directory...

...mv usr/info/* /usr/info...

...Now it works. Thanks.

* RE: Missing libc documentation
@ 2002-07-26  7:58 Demmer, Thomas