* make install fail with gcc 3.0.2
@ 2001-12-12  4:29 Dennis Weber
From: Dennis Weber @ 2001-12-12  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

I am trying to get the 3.0.2 version of gcc to run in the Cygwin 1.3.5
environment on Win 2k
pro. ./configure and make seem to do what they're supposed to do, but make
install fails
to copy the headers and libs to the right dirs...
Maybe that's not all that's wrong but at least that's what I noticed.
gcc 3.0.2 has its own directory on the root level and I did not set and
options.
I simply used the plain files that came with the sources, without changes or
options.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Dennis
toshi@studcs.uni-sb.de

* Re: make install fail with gcc 3.0.2
@ 2001-12-12  5:54 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-12-12  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Weber, cygwin

> I am trying to get the 3.0.2 version of gcc to run in the Cygwin 1.3.5
> environment on Win 2k
> pro. ./configure and make seem to do what they're supposed to do, but make
> install fails
> to copy the headers and libs to the right dirs...
> Maybe that's not all that's wrong but at least that's what I noticed.
> gcc 3.0.2 has its own directory on the root level and I did not set and
> options.
> I simply used the plain files that came with the sources, without changes
or
> options.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Dennis
> toshi@studcs.uni-sb.de
If you plan to install the new compiler in a different directory from the
ones used by the cygwin compiler, you should copy /usr/include to your new
directory before running configure.  For example, if intending to install in
/usr/local (the default), you copy /usr/include to /usr/local/include.
Otherwise, the new compiler uses (and may modify) /usr/include.
If you wish to use a separate copy of binutils, you configure and install it
in a separate location from the original, and use the --with-as=<full path
to new as> option when configuring to build the new compiler.  I usually
rebuild and install over the original binutils, and use the same copy with
the original and new compilers.