* Running fontforge.exe does nothing
@ 2008-06-24 12:05 David Spector
From: David Spector @ 2008-06-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.

I've installed the latest cygwin on my Windows XP Home
system named "SYS3", and it appears to run perfectly.
I have plenty of disk and memory space.

www.springtimesoftware.com/ff-screen02.JPG shows the
result of typing xinit. (Typing startx is similar for
me, except that the created X window is smaller.)

I installed the latest fontforge, following the
official instructions.

When I run fontforge in the X window, nothing happens.
www.springtimesoftware.com/ff-screen01.JPG shows this.
As you can see, there is no error message. (I would
have thought this was a fontforge question, but I was
asked to post it here.)

Does anyone have an idea of what I could have done
wrong?

I should say I know next to nothing about cygwin,
fontforge, or Linux. I'm only interested in running
fontforge, which requires cygwin. I believe lots of
people do run fontforge on Windows, so an answer may
be relevant to people other than myself.

David

* Re: Running fontforge.exe does nothing
@ 2008-06-25  0:26 David Spector
From: David Spector @ 2008-06-25  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave and Ralph,

Thanks for your quick responses and help.

That did it. I can now run fontforge. Thanks again!

(Surely cygwin packaging could have been done similar
to the Make model so a single "install the latest
fontforge" command would automatically install cygwin,
x windows, and all necessary libraries, with nothing
unnecesary? It seems weird to have to spend hours of
realtime to get the advice necessary to get an
ordinary program running, not to mention having to use
two different diagnostic tools, cygcheck and the
module search page.)

David

* Running fontforge.exe does nothing
@ 2008-06-22 14:59 David Spector