* telling setup to "get everything"
@ 2002-05-29 17:36 David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-05-29 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List

Hi, all --

In my playing with setup I never figured out how to tell it to force a
download of everything, whether it thinks I have it or not, without
having to manually click on many, many, many packages.

Supposing a system that has at least a partial installation and may also
have a perhaps non-matching source tree, is there a simple way to force a
download of the most current version of each package listed in setup.ini?
I'd prefer file overwriting rather than duplication when pulling from
multiple mirrors, since I'd also like to accumulate all of the package
files under release/ instead of the various http%3a*/ directories.

TIA & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org

* RE: telling setup to "get everything"
@ 2002-05-29 20:04 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-29 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David T-G', 'CygWin Users' List'

This is because setup.exe is not a mirroring tool, and 'getting
everything' is a mirroring exercise. Setup is designed to only download
the gap - the pacakges that are not available in the local cache but are
needed to perform your requested actions. You may find that clicking on
the top level 'default' comes close, or even does what you want though.
YMMV.

Rob

* Re: telling setup to "get everything"
@ 2002-05-29 20:28   ` David T-G
From: David T-G @ 2002-05-29 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin Users' List; +Cc: Robert Collins

Robert, et al --

...and then Robert Collins said...
%
% > In my playing with setup I never figured out how to tell it to force a
% > download of everything, whether it thinks I have it or not, without
% > having to manually click on many, many, many packages.
%
% This is because setup.exe is not a mirroring tool, and 'getting
% everything' is a mirroring exercise. Setup is designed to only download

Hmmm...  Good point; I had thought of it as a "get ready to install from
CD" exercise, but mirroring certainly sounds more like it.

So maybe I just need to check out wget or rsync or whatever method the
site supports.  Good enough.

% the gap - the pacakges that are not available in the local cache but are
% needed to perform your requested actions. You may find that clicking on
% the top level 'default' comes close, or even does what you want though.

Well, close in some respects, but it was still a lot of clicking.  The
problem that I faced was that I had a "dirty" setup, and so it kept
telling me I had things that I didn't, and then there was the whole
matter of the missing libintl1 package (I wish I'd known then what and
how to report!).

% YMMV.

It sure did :-)

%
% Rob

Thanks & HAND

@ 2002-05-30  7:28   ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2002-05-30  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > In my playing with setup I never figured out how to tell it to force a
> > download of everything, whether it thinks I have it or not, without
> > having to manually click on many, many, many packages.
>
> This is because setup.exe is not a mirroring tool, and 'getting
> everything' is a mirroring exercise.

But does he really want all the prev packages as well? I agree that setup.exe
need not have a feature to redownload a package which exists on disc, but
"whether it thinks I have it or not" might refer to setup's tendency to look at
what is installed, not what is downloaded, in download only mode.

Max.

* RE: telling setup to "get everything"
@ 2002-05-30  7:29     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-30  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)