* Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23  8:43 Leo Liberti
From: Leo Liberti @ 2001-01-23  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi. I have written a big application in a Unix
GNU environment (GCC + tools), and I've been asked
to port it to Windows. Needless to say, MSVC++ 6.0
just spits it out. So I downloaded Cygwin, and it
compiled it. I then read everything I could on
"how to make a .DLL" and after much struggling, I made
the DLLs. But now I can't link under Windows.
My guess is that the different C++ mangling scheme
is causing trouble at link time (the MS linker says
it can't find the functions, but in fact they are
clearly there, dumpbin.exe says - but the mangled
names are actually different).

Anybody ever experienced this problem? In the faq
it says that you can mix gcc .o and ms .obj as long as
they are C. If it's C++, it says, it going to be
difficult. Now, is it difficult or impossible?

Thanks

Leo

* Re: Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23  9:41 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-23  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liberti; +Cc: cygwin

Leo Liberti wrote:

> Now, is it difficult or impossible?

Given the current set of tools, impossible.  Given the fact that this is
all open source, it would not be impossible for you to debug GCC and
binutils to make it work.  Given the fact that several have given
thought to such, it would be difficult.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23  9:49 ` David Feustel
From: David Feustel @ 2001-01-23  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liberti, cygwin

MKS is now offering a package of header files and dlls
that permit compilation of Unix software with VS 6.
I only found out about this package a few days ago
so I have no experience with it. MKS offers a 30-day
evaluation of the software on CDROM.

See http://www.mks.com

> Hi. I have written a big application in a Unix
> GNU environment (GCC + tools), and I've been asked
> to port it to Windows. Needless to say, MSVC++ 6.0
> just spits it out. So I downloaded Cygwin, and it
> compiled it. I then read everything I could on
> "how to make a .DLL" and after much struggling, I made
> the DLLs. But now I can't link under Windows.
> My guess is that the different C++ mangling scheme
> is causing trouble at link time (the MS linker says
> it can't find the functions, but in fact they are
> clearly there, dumpbin.exe says - but the mangled
> names are actually different).
>
> Anybody ever experienced this problem? In the faq
> it says that you can mix gcc .o and ms .obj as long as
> they are C. If it's C++, it says, it going to be
> difficult. Now, is it difficult or impossible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Leo

* Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23 10:21   ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-23 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Feustel; +Cc: Leo Liberti, cygwin

David Feustel wrote:

> MKS is now offering a package of header files and dlls
> that permit compilation of Unix software with VS 6.
> I only found out about this package a few days ago
> so I have no experience with it. MKS offers a 30-day
> evaluation of the software on CDROM.
>
> See http://www.mks.com

This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy the
Cygwin list please take my advice.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23 10:30     ` David Feustel
From: David Feustel @ 2001-01-23 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Leo Liberti, cygwin

I derive no benefit from advertising the MKS product.
I was just trying to help someone with a problem

Folow through on your threat: Take me off the list.

@ 2001-01-23 10:54     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-23 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:21:47PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>David Feustel wrote:
>>MKS is now offering a package of header files and dlls that permit
>>compilation of Unix software with VS 6.  I only found out about this
>>package a few days ago so I have no experience with it.  MKS offers a
>>30-day evaluation of the software on CDROM.
>>
>>See http://www.mks.com
>
>This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
>proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
>the Cygwin list please take my advice.

That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
this that means we can too.

As long as the discussion doesn't degenerate into a long discussion on
how to set up MKS or something, then I have no problem with this.

In fact, if someone wants to purchase this and let us know how they
managed this feat, I'd be interested in hearing about that.

cgf

* Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23 11:56       ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-23 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:21:47PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >David Feustel wrote:
> >>MKS is now offering a package of header files and dlls that permit
> >>compilation of Unix software with VS 6.  I only found out about this
> >>package a few days ago so I have no experience with it.  MKS offers a
> >>30-day evaluation of the software on CDROM.
> >>
> >>See http://www.mks.com
> >
> >This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
> >proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
> >the Cygwin list please take my advice.
>
> That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
> It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
> this that means we can too.

Ok, sufficiently put back in my place.  As far as our being able to do
that too, wouldn't that just require building Cygwin with VC++?

If you're able to build Cygwin with VC++ then the discrepancy of objects
disappear and you should be able to build POSIX programs with the Cygwin
runtime & VC++.  IIRC, newlib already builds with VC++.  Given this, I
didn't see how the MKS 30 day free trial was worth mentioning and thus
my harshness.

Sorry,
Earnie.

* Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23 12:47         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

At 02:56 PM 1/23/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
> > >proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
> > >the Cygwin list please take my advice.
> >
> > That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
> > It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
> > this that means we can too.
> >

>Ok, sufficiently put back in my place.  As far as our being able to do
>that too, wouldn't that just require building Cygwin with VC++?

I don't think so.  I read the original inquiry as "Can I get MSDEV to use
gcc/g++ instead of cl?"  Certainly making the development environment use
gcc/g++ doesn't necessarily imply gcc/g++ and anything it uses be compiled
with cl.  It just means that there must be enough hooks in MSDEV to allow
someone to substitute in some other tools.  But, perhaps I misread the
question and it didn't mean this at all.;-)

* Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++
@ 2001-01-23 16:28         ` Paul Garceau
From: Paul Garceau @ 2001-01-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

On 23 Jan 2001, at 14:56, the Illustrious Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
> > >proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
> > >the Cygwin list please take my advice.
> >
> > That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
> > It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
> > this that means we can too.
> >

> Ok, sufficiently put back in my place.  As far as our being able to do
> that too, wouldn't that just require building Cygwin with VC++?

	In fact, if you set your VS to Ansi Standard, there would be no
problems except with the MS standards(not sure exactly how these are
defined for their compiler, only know that they do provide an option
for (strict) Ansi Standard...however, and this is fairly typical of MS,
they are not inclined to support ANSI standards unless those standards
in some way support their proprietary standards (I am remembering back
to the VS4 and earlier MS standards -- it may be that MS is now more
supportive of Ansi standards than they were...though I have yet to see
this with my own eyes; under VS6, they did not support Ansi standards
without the developer having to reset their MS compiler).

	Peace,

		Paul G.

ps. Was almost forced to recompile Cygwin b20 using VS6...not fun,
believe me.  Finally, it became clear, it was far easier to simply
download b20 binaries and use those instead.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.