* Bug Report: CVS and gdbm-1.8.0-3
@ 2001-12-07 14:40 Joseph M. Reagle Jr.
From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. @ 2001-12-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

An easy one: the latest version of CVS [1] is still expecting to find
libgdbm.dll . If you copy cyggdbm.dll to that name, it works, but folks
new to cygwin won't know that nor recall [2].

Thanks!

[1] AEON: /home/reagle/data/2web/WWW/Team/Reagle> cvs -v
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8 (client/server)
[2] http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2000/msg00082.html

Regards,              | GON OUT	|
		      | BACKSON	|
Joseph M. Reagle Jr.  |  BISY	|
reagle@mit.edu        | BACKSON | http://reagle.org/joseph/
PGP ID:    0C 69 D4 E8 F2 70 24 33  B4 5E 5E EC 35 E6 FB 88

* Re: Bug Report: CVS and gdbm-1.8.0-3
@ 2001-12-07 16:56 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-12-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph M. Reagle Jr.; +Cc: cygwin

"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:

> An easy one: the latest version of CVS [1] is still expecting to find
> libgdbm.dll . If you copy cyggdbm.dll to that name, it works, but folks
> new to cygwin won't know that nor recall [2].

Nope.  That's not the newest version of cvs.  The newest version is
1.11.0-1.

--Chuck

@ 2001-12-07 18:34   ` Joseph M. Reagle Jr.
From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. @ 2001-12-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

> "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:
> > An easy one: the latest version of CVS [1] is still expecting to find
> > libgdbm.dll . If you copy cyggdbm.dll to that name, it works, but folks
> > new to cygwin won't know that nor recall [2].
>
> Nope.  That's not the newest version of cvs.  The newest version is
> 1.11.0-1.

Weird. /me goes to setup.exe and checks and what do you know 1.11 is
available on the RCN mirror now: it wasn't this afternoon. I don't have
the opportunity to test it now, but does this mean the bug is fixed as
well or do you need me to test it?

* Re: Bug Report: CVS and gdbm-1.8.0-3
@ 2001-12-07 18:39     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-12-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph M. Reagle Jr.; +Cc: cygwin

"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:

> > "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:
> > > An easy one: the latest version of CVS [1] is still expecting to find
> > > libgdbm.dll . If you copy cyggdbm.dll to that name, it works, but folks
> > > new to cygwin won't know that nor recall [2].
> >
> > Nope.  That's not the newest version of cvs.  The newest version is
> > 1.11.0-1.
>
> Weird. /me goes to setup.exe and checks and what do you know 1.11 is
> available on the RCN mirror now: it wasn't this afternoon. I don't have
> the opportunity to test it now, but does this mean the bug is fixed as
> well or do you need me to test it?

No, 1.11 has been out for over six months.  It's (fairly) well tested.

You just got bit by the "setup installs old versions the first time
around" bug.  It is fixed in current CVS setup sources.

--Chuck

* Re: Bug Report: CVS and gdbm-1.8.0-3
@ 2001-12-07 18:51     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-07 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph M. Reagle Jr., Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

> > > An easy one: the latest version of CVS [1] is still expecting to
find
> > > libgdbm.dll . If you copy cyggdbm.dll to that name, it works, but
folks
> > > new to cygwin won't know that nor recall [2].
> >
> > Nope.  That's not the newest version of cvs.  The newest version is
> > 1.11.0-1.
>
> Weird. /me goes to setup.exe and checks and what do you know 1.11 is
> available on the RCN mirror now: it wasn't this afternoon. I don't
have

It was actually :}. Go to the archives and look for setup.exe in the
last week.

The first click on a package to make it install grabs the _oldest_
version. Keep clicking to get newer and newer versions.

This is fixed in the setup source.

Rob