* Re: Problem setting PATH variable
@ 1998-10-26  7:17 Randy Campbell
From: Randy Campbell @ 1998-10-26  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd, gnu-win32

>Do you have binary mounts set?  If you have binary mounts set and the
>.bashrc file contains \r\n then what you are adding to PATH is
>/usr/local/bin\r which isn't what you want.  Two ways to fix this
>problem:  move back to text mounts (prefered by me) or remove the \r
>from the .bashrc file.

I have binary mounts set, which I have been told is necessary to get man and
info to work.  (I still haven't got man & info to work, but that's another
story).

So, maybe removing the /r from the file will work.  I'll try it.

Thanks,
Randy

-

* Re: Problem setting PATH variable
@ 1998-10-24 18:48 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-10-24 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Campbell, gnu-win32

---Randy Campbell <randyc@fc.hp.com> wrote:

> I am having strange difficulties setting the PATH variable in .bashrc.
>
> I want to include /usr/local/bin in the path.
>
> If I don't set PATH in .bashrc, i.e. accept the default, login and,
on the
> command line,
> execute "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin", everything works fine.
>
> If I place the same command in .bashrc, I can't resolve executables
that are
> in
> /usr/local/bin, even though "echo $PATH" seems to show it as part of
the
> path,
> appearing identical to the first case.
>
> Can anyone suggest what the difference might be?

Do you have binary mounts set?  If you have binary mounts set and the
.bashrc file contains \r\n then what you are adding to PATH is
/usr/local/bin\r which isn't what you want.  Two ways to fix this
problem:  move back to text mounts (prefered by me) or remove the \r
from the .bashrc file.

If you don't have binary mounts set then I don't know what the problem
is.  I set my path variable from .bashrc (I do have text mounts).  I
am however replacing the entire contents of PATH.

==
-                  \\||//

* Re: Problem setting PATH variable
@ 1998-10-24 14:30 ` Stephen L Arnold
From: Stephen L Arnold @ 1998-10-24 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

On 23 Oct 98, Randy Campbell had questions about Problem setting
PATH variable:

> I am having strange difficulties setting the PATH variable in .bashrc.

[snip]

I was having similar trouble with things not being recognized in my
.bashrc at first too.  Then I took everything out except some
aliases and moved it to .bash_profile and now it seems to be
working fine.  Someone else mentioned some weird behavior launching
a second instance of bash from the first.  I can't do that (it made
windoze go out to lunch) but launching multiple rxvt's from the
bash shell in a DOS box works fine.  I have /bin/sh linked to bash,
and rxvt runs bash too.  Here is my setup:

[sidebar question]

What is the correct form for multiple settings of the cygwin32
environment variable?  Is a space correct, or should use a
separator?  For example:

export CYGWIN32=tty, binmode       or
export CYGWIN32=tty binmode

********************* bash configuration ******************
# ~/.bash_profile
#-------------------------------------------------------------------

# Limit coredumps to zero bytes
#ulimit -c 0

#-------------------------------------------------------------------
# Other settings

umask 022

HOME=/steve
PATH=/bin:/CYGWIN/H-I386~1/bin:/steve:.
LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib
#C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include
#CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/lib/g++include
TERM=linux
VIM=/USR/VIM-5.3

export CYGWIN32=tty binmode
export TERM VIM

 if [ "$COLORTERM" = "rxvt" ] ; then
    export PS1="\e[34m\]\w\[\e[0m\]> "
    export TERM=linux
    alias ls='ls -CF --color'
    stty intr ^c susp ^z start ^q stop ^s quit ^\\ erase ^?
 fi

source ~/.bashrc
cd

#-------------------------------------------------------------------
# end of ~/.bash_profile

# ~/.bashrc
# executed by login and subshells
#-------------------------------------------------------------------

alias ls='ls -CF --color'
alias ll='ls -l'
alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd ../..'
alias cls="c:/command.com /c cls"
alias rxvt='rxvt -fn Courier -e bash -login'

# end of ~/.bashrc

Sorry for the large post, but I thought it would be useful...

* Problem setting PATH variable
@ 1998-10-23 18:01 Randy Campbell