* Background processes prevent terminal window from closing
@ 2011-05-05  4:30 Ryan Dortmans
From: Ryan Dortmans @ 2011-05-05  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I have found that background processes prevent the terminal window
from closing. I have tried with the cmd terminal as well as mintty.
Here is a simple example:

$ notepad .profile &
[1] 10260
$ exit
logout

The window remains until I close the notepad window. I have also
reproduced the issue using a simple looping shell script instead of a
windows program.

I thought that running disown would detach the process to turn it into
a daemon, but this has no effect.

Is there any way to detach running background processes such that the
terminal can be closed?

Cheers,

Ryan Dortmans