* Wait for cygstart finish
@ 2009-01-12 12:51 Jeenu V
       [not found] ` <496B6FBB.2060400@cygwin.com>
From: Jeenu V @ 2009-01-12 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Is there a way to make cygstart wait until the application it launched
closed? I see a thread here
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-08/msg00812.html), providing patch
for the same (-w switch) but I couldn't see the official one having
the same. Is the a way around?

--
:J

* Re: Wait for cygstart finish
       [not found] ` <496B6FBB.2060400@cygwin.com>
@ 2009-01-12 17:49   ` Jeenu V
From: Jeenu V @ 2009-01-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Just run the app without 'cygstart'?

:) Well this was related to one of my earlier posts, if you recall,
where I had problems with running cmd.exe from screen. I now work that
around by calling cmd.exe with cygstart. Everything works fine - just
that I wanted to know if there's a way to make cystart wait for the
application to finish.

--
:J

* RE: Wait for cygstart finish
@ 2009-01-13  1:17     ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2009-01-13  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, 'Jeenu V'

Jeenu V wrote on Monday, January 12, 2009 11:45 AM:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> Just run the app without 'cygstart'?
>
> :) Well this was related to one of my earlier posts, if you recall,
> where I had problems with running cmd.exe from screen. I now work
> that around by calling cmd.exe with cygstart. Everything works fine -
> just that I wanted to know if there's a way to make cygstart wait for
> the application to finish.

Currently there isn't; see
$ man cygstart
$ cygstart --help

You could always apply the patch that you mentioned earlier yourself
and re-compile cygstart.

Work-around:  You might try the following.

$ cmd /c start /wait

You also might want to see if start's "/b" option helps.
    B    Start application without creating a new window. The
         application has ^C handling ignored. Unless the application
         enables ^C processing, ^Break is the only way to interrupt
         the application
(Please note that I've never even tried "/b" -- my suggestion comes
from start /?, not any experience.)

- Barry