* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-22 10:45 Mike Bresnahan
From: Mike Bresnahan @ 2001-01-22 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

XEmacs and GNU emacs are different in many ways.  I switched to XEmacs a few
years ago and then switched back to GNU emacs.  Some differences of note:

- There are subtle differences in the LISP code.  You may have to make
changes to your .emacs file.
- XEmacs is also considerbly slower to load and perform other tasks.
- XEmacs does not have the ctrl-<left click> buffer menu.
- Lots of other small differences in the interface

Mike Bresnahan
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2001-01-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: Daniel Barclay, ehud, cygwin

@ 2001-01-18  8:27                                   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-18  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Barclay; +Cc: ehud, cygwin

@ 2001-01-18  8:21                                 ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-18  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: ehud, cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 02:15 PM 1/16/2001, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> >"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> > > ... However,
> > > I can say you'll have better luck with a Cygwin version of Emacs, like
> > > XEmacs.  You'll find Cygwin applications work much better with other
> > > Cygwin applications, especially in areas of detail like this.
> >
> >How different is XEmacs from GNU/NTEmacs?
> >
> >(I don't do much (any) Lisp programming, so I guess I'm just asking about
> >default configuration and about compatibility of add-ons like JDE.)
>
> Sorry, I was a little unclear.  AFAIK, there is a Cygwin version of XEmacs
> but there isn't one for NTEmacs.  My main point was that signal functionality
> can be handled by Cygwin (and is) or by the O/S.  However, the signal coming
> from a Win32 app doesn't get the same response out of Cygwin as one coming
> from a Cygwin app.  If you have problems in this area, your best bet is to
> use Cygwin-enabled versions of apps when available.

I just meant how different is XEmacs from NTEmacs to the user?  If I switch
from NTEmacs (which I'm used to) to XEmacs (which I don't know), how big a
change is that likely to been (from the Emacs user point of view)?

Daniel

--
Daniel Barclay
Digital Focus

* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-16 11:27                               ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-16 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Barclay; +Cc: ehud, cygwin

@ 2001-01-16 11:14                             ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-16 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: ehud, cygwin

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> ... However,
> I can say you'll have better luck with a Cygwin version of Emacs, like
> XEmacs.  You'll find Cygwin applications work much better with other
> Cygwin applications, especially in areas of detail like this.

How different is XEmacs from GNU/NTEmacs?

(I don't do much (any) Lisp programming, so I guess I'm just asking about
default configuration and about compatibility of add-ons like JDE.)

Thanks,
Daniel
--

@ 2001-01-12 14:31 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-01-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) [ mailto:lhall@rfk.com ]
> At 04:25 PM 1/12/2001, Ehud Karni wrote:
>>> Do you mean it's a known problem that crops up (for some people), or
that
>>> it simply doesn't work at all (for anyone combining Emacs and CygWin)?
>>I think he meant it is a general problem for everyone. The base of this
>>is that the emacs shell buffer is not a tty. You can check it by doing
>>`stty', you'll get: "stty: standard input: Not a character device".
>>
>>And hence, it is not a tty ==> it will not generate SIGINT for ^C.
>>
>>Ehud.
> Forgive me for coming late to the party.  I didn't digest that this
> conversation was about NTEmacs (i.e. the Windows port).  I'll leave
> aside whether or not ^C should work in this context.  I really don't
> know whether it should/would/ever did.  I don't use Emacs.  However,
> I can say you'll have better luck with a Cygwin version of Emacs, like
> XEmacs.  You'll find Cygwin applications work much better with other
> Cygwin applications, especially in areas of detail like this.
 Larry has a point.

 NTEmacs:  "stty: standard input: Not a character device"  BREAK does not
work
 XEmacs for NT: "stty: standard input: Not a character device"  BREAK does
not work
 cygwin XEmacs: stty works correctly.   BREAK works.

 Note that results are the same whether typing C-c C-c, selecting BREAK
from the "Signals" menu, or typing M-x comint-interrupt-subjob  (as one
would expect)

 Setting CYGWIN=TTY does not seem to matter. (Not sure if I tried all
combos)

* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-12 13:57                           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ehud, cygwin

At 04:25 PM 1/12/2001, Ehud Karni wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:46:36 -0500, Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:
> >
> > "David M. Karr" wrote:
> > >
> > >   Daniel> In a shell buffer in NTEmacs configured per the shell-setup instructions
> > >   Daniel> in the CygWin FAQ at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC5 ,
> > >   Daniel> control-C doesn't seem to work.
> > > This bites me several times a day.  It is a known problem...
> >
> > Do you mean it's a known problem that crops up (for some people), or that
> > it simply doesn't work at all (for anyone combining Emacs and CygWin)?
>
>I think he meant it is a general problem for everyone. The base of this
>is that the emacs shell buffer is not a tty. You can check it by doing
>`stty', you'll get: "stty: standard input: Not a character device".
>
>And hence, it is not a tty ==> it will not generate SIGINT for ^C.
>
>Ehud.

Forgive me for coming late to the party.  I didn't digest that this
conversation was about NTEmacs (i.e. the Windows port).  I'll leave
aside whether or not ^C should work in this context.  I really don't
know whether it should/would/ever did.  I don't use Emacs.  However,
I can say you'll have better luck with a Cygwin version of Emacs, like
XEmacs.  You'll find Cygwin applications work much better with other
Cygwin applications, especially in areas of detail like this.

YMMV.  Void where prohibited.

* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-12 13:26                         ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2001-01-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:46:36 -0500, Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:

> "David M. Karr" wrote:
> >
> >   Daniel> In a shell buffer in NTEmacs configured per the shell-setup instructions
> >   Daniel> in the CygWin FAQ at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC5 ,
> >   Daniel> control-C doesn't seem to work.
> > This bites me several times a day.  It is a known problem...
>
> Do you mean it's a known problem that crops up (for some people), or that
> it simply doesn't work at all (for anyone combining Emacs and CygWin)?

I think he meant it is a general problem for everyone. The base of this
is that the emacs shell buffer is not a tty. You can check it by doing
`stty', you'll get: "stty: standard input: Not a character device".

And hence, it is not a tty ==> it will not generate SIGINT for ^C.

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544

* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-12 13:13                               ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr, cygwin

At 03:40 PM 1/12/2001, David M. Karr wrote:
>   >> I don't know the full answer to that.  For me, certain shell processes
>   >> will die with ^C, some will not.  I can kill "java", but I can't kill
>   >> "tail -f" or "perl" (I have to use Task Manager).  I have seen other
>   >> people report this.
>
>   Larry> Recently?  Daniel's was the first report of this I've heard in months at
>   Larry> least (longer than that most likely but I tend to be conservative when it
>   Larry> comes to my memory).  I might be wrong but I don't think this is a known
>   Larry> problem and its certainly something that I don't see.
>
>Earnie Boyd indicated on 9/26 it was "fixed in snapshots", but I've
>never seen any mention of a released fix for it.  I recently upgraded
>my cygwin (1-2 weeks ago), so if the fix was there, I should have it
>(but I don't).

Hm, I don't know why you have this problem but I can say that you have the
fix Earnie was referring to.  Anything in the nightly snapshots as of 9/26
would be in the current 1.1.7 "release", if not the 1.1.6 and 1.1.5
"releases".  So it may be related but the problem is certainly different.

* Re: NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-12 13:12                               ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-12 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr; +Cc: cygwin

"David M. Karr" wrote:

> Earnie Boyd indicated on 9/26 it was "fixed in snapshots", but I've
> never seen any mention of a released fix for it.  I recently upgraded
> my cygwin (1-2 weeks ago), so if the fix was there, I should have it
> (but I don't).

I just upgraded yesterday or Wednesday, from the ftp.sunsite.utk.edu mirror
(and the latest Emacs as of yesterday or Wednesday).

Daniel
--

@ 2001-01-12 13:06                           ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr; +Cc: cygwin

"David M. Karr" wrote:

> I don't know the full answer to that.  For me, certain shell processes
> will die with ^C, some will not.  I can kill "java", but I can't kill
> "tail -f" or "perl" (I have to use Task Manager).  I have seen other
> people report this.

Hmm.  I think I've seen Java behave differently, but in the opposite
direction.  On my _old_ setup (Emacs ? with CygWin 20 or so), java (Sun's)
would sometimes print out some status dump when I tried a control-C.
I think Java specifically catches an alternate signal (SIGQUIT? on Unix,
something else on Windows) to do that.

Maybe Emacs and/or CygWin are sending different signals at different
times or under different configurations, or processes are vulnerable
to different signals under different conditions.

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!   Reinstalling a machine's worth of software is bad
enough without failures between critical areas (for me) like Emacs and
Unix commands.

Could someone who has Emacs C-c C-c working working post information
about your configuration OS version, NTEmacs version, relevant .emacs
contents, whatever version information now characterizes CygWin, relevant
cygwin.bat contents, environment variables, etc.)?

Here are my statistics:

- Windows NT 4.0, service pack 6a

- NT Emacs version:
  "GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-*-nt4.0.1381) of Tue Jun 13 2000 on buffy"

- HOME:
  bash-2.04$ echo $HOME
  /c/Daniel

- $HOME/.emacs (excerpts):

  (setq exec-path (cons "C:/tools/cygwin/bin" exec-path))
  (setenv "PATH" (concat "C:\\tools\\cygwin\\bin;" (getenv "PATH")))

  ;;TRYING:
  (setenv "CYGWIN" (concat "tty " (getenv "CYGWIN")))

  (setq process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)))
  (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")
  (setq shell-file-name "bash")
  (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
  (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)

  (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
            'comint-strip-ctrl-m)

- C:/tools/cygwin/cygwin.bat:
  @echo off

  set CYGWIN=tty

  C:
  chdir \tools\cygwin\bin

  bash --login -i

- cygcheck:

  $ cygcheck  -s

  Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
  Current System Time: Fri Jan 12 16:03:28 2001

  WinNT Ver 4.0 build 1381 Service Pack 6

  Path:	/usr/bin
  	/c/WINNT/system32
  	/c/WINNT

  SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
  WinDir: C:\WINNT

  PWD = `/c/tools/emacs-20.7/bin'
  CYGWIN = `tty '
  HOME = `/c/Daniel'

  Use `-r' to scan registry

  a:  fd           N/A    N/A
  c:  hd  NTFS    4094Mb  53% CP CS UN PA FC     C
  d:  hd  NTFS    1592Mb  99% CP CS UN PA FC     D
  e:  hd  NTFS    4094Mb  85% CP CS UN PA FC     E
  f:  cd           N/A    N/A

  C:\tools\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  system  textmode
  C:\tools\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  system  textmode
  C:\tools\cygwin  /        system  textmode
  C:    /c       user    textmode
  D:    /d       user    textmode
  E:    /e       user    textmode

  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\bash.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cat.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cpp.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\find.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\gcc.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\gdb.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\ld.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\make.exe
  Found: C:\tools\cygwin\bin\sh.exe

     56k 2000/12/03 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygbz21.0.dll
     45k 2000/12/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygform5.dll
     18k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cyggdbm.dll
     17k 2001/01/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cyghistory4.dll
     14k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygintl.dll
     81k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygitcl30.dll
     35k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygitk30.dll
     45k 2000/10/22 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygjbig1.dll
    119k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll
     26k 2000/12/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygmenu5.dll
    159k 2000/12/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygncurses++5.dll
    225k 2000/12/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll
     15k 2000/12/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygpanel5.dll
    162k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygpng2.dll
    108k 2001/01/07 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygreadline4.dll
    390k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygtcl80.dll
      5k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
     10k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
    243k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygtiff3.dll
    623k 2000/12/05 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygtk80.dll
     41k 2000/11/20 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-noX4.dll
     45k 2000/11/20 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-X4.dll
     49k 2000/10/23 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
    611k 2000/12/25 C:\tools\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
      Cygwin DLL version info:
          dll major: 1001
          dll minor: 7
          dll epoch: 19
          dll bad signal mask: 19005
          dll old termios: 5
          dll malloc env: 28
          api major: 0
          api minor: 31
          shared data: 3
          dll identifier: cygwin1
          mount registry: 2
          cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
          cygwin registry name: Cygwin
          program options name: Program Options
          cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
          cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
          cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
          cygdrive default prefix:
          build date: Mon Dec 25 12:39:48 EST 2000
          shared id: cygwin1S3

  Use -h to see help about each section
  $

Daniel
--

@ 2001-01-12 12:43                             ` David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2001-01-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  ...>

@ 2001-01-12 12:30                           ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-01-12 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr, cygwin

@ 2001-01-12 11:54                         ` David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2001-01-12 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-01-12 11:48                       ` Daniel Barclay
From: Daniel Barclay @ 2001-01-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-01-11 15:00                     ` David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2001-01-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  Daniel> If I've missed this in the FAQ, user's manual, or (poorly searchable)
  Daniel> archives, please point me to what I've missed.

  Daniel> In a shell buffer in NTEmacs configured per the shell-setup instructions
  Daniel> in the CygWin FAQ at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq.html#SEC5 ,
  Daniel> control-C doesn't seem to work.

  Daniel> That is, typing two control-C's in Emacs (to send a control-C to bash)
  Daniel> doesn't kill a long-running command (e.g., like "du /" or "sleep 10").

  Daniel> Emacs does seem to flash the window title bar, but I can't tell what it's
  Daniel> trying to indicate.  Does this seem to be an NTEmacs/CygWin interaction
  Daniel> problem, or just an NTEmacs problem (not for the CygWin list)?

  Daniel> Is control-C still supported in CygWin and between NTEmacs and CygWin?  (I
  Daniel> just upgraded from CygWin B20 (or so), and not yet used to how things work
  Daniel> now.)

This bites me several times a day.  It is a known problem, but I don't
know what the status on a fix is.  I will be very glad to see it.

* NTEmacs shell/CygWin: should control-C work?
@ 2001-01-11 14:23                   ` Daniel Barclay