* RE: installation
@ 1997-09-26  5:43 Ernest Clayton Cordell, Jr.
From: Ernest Clayton Cordell, Jr. @ 1997-09-26  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, kai, 'Earnie Boyd'

Kai,
	The information you have received is important: It is essential to the
toolset with what you will learn from the book, yet the book does not help
you with the particular toolset.  There are duplicate files on the disk:
 Read those and the ones at the website as well; the files with the same
names at the website have been changed to reflect later versions, BUT some
very useful information has also been added.
	You should be able to write your own original programs after the 24
lessons; Unless you have prior programming experience, superhuman retention
or a lot less on your honeydew list, I suggest 3 days of 8 hours each --
that's a fairly heavy cognitive load.
	If you want to keep your perspective, after you've installed (the disk
version with ZIP 6.2 is an easy install and all that you'll need for the
course), and completed all the program exercises, come back and subscribe
to this list to increase your capabilities.
	If you expect to achieve professional proficiency within weeks when it has
taken the rest of us years, why would you come to us for advice?

Ernie
----------
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-04-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergun UYAR, cygwin

At 02:48 PM 4/26/2005, you wrote:

>Hello !
>I was installing the full package of cygwin,65% of it
>had been finished,at that time computer because of a
>outer reason restarted so connection cut off.
>
>What will I do?
>
>start istallation from the zero position,from the
>beginning?That is,redownload first 65% of full
>packages and then the other part?
>
>Or,reinstall option next to the "all" is usefull for
>me?

No, just rerun 'setup.exe' and tell it you want to install
all packages.  It will download only those that it has not
completely downloaded already.

>If not,"reinstall option" about packages is used for
>what?For which conditions it is used?

Usually this is only necessary when a package (or installation) has been
"damaged" somehow so that starting over makes sense.  It's essentially
equivalent to uninstalling the package (or installation) and then installing
it again.

Holliston, MA 01746

* installation
@ 2005-04-26 20:04 Ergun UYAR
From: Ergun UYAR @ 2005-04-26 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello !
I was installing the full package of cygwin,65% of it
had been finished,at that time computer because of a
outer reason restarted so connection cut off.

What will I do?

start istallation from the zero position,from the
beginning?That is,redownload first 65% of full
packages and then the other part?

Or,reinstall option next to the "all" is usefull for
me?

If not,"reinstall option" about packages is used for
what?For which conditions it is used?

Thanks,Ergün

* Re: installation
@ 2005-04-26  3:53 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2005-04-26  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ergun UYAR, cygwin

At 05:43 PM 4/25/2005, you wrote:
>Ýf we select "default" packages they are only about 13
>Mbyte.Ýs it right?This package size seems too little
>for installation.Is there a problem here?

If by "select "default"" you mean that you don't make
make any changes at the "Select Packages" page, then
your observations are correct.

>Secondly,if there is no problem with the size of
>default packages,how will I install downloaded
>part?There is no installation icon in the file that I
>saved to my computer!!

Did you select "Install from Internet" or "Download
Without Installing"?  If you did the former, when
'setup.exe' completes, you've already installed the
packages you downloaded.  If you selected the latter,
you need to run 'setup.exe' again and choose "Install
from Local Directory".  You'll need to provide 'setup.exe'
with the directory you chose to download the packages to.

>Thirdly,for full installation what will I do?

Go to the "Category" view on the "Select Packages" page and
click on the word "Default" next to "All" until "Default" changes
to "Install".

>What is
>the meaning of "Full Installation" here?

Install all the packages that 'setup.exe' offers on the
"Select Packages" page.

Holliston, MA 01746

* installation
@ 2005-04-26  1:42 Ergun UYAR
From: Ergun UYAR @ 2005-04-26  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ýf we select "default" packages they are only about 13
Mbyte.Ýs it right?This package size seems too little
for installation.Is there a problem here?

Secondly,if there is no problem with the size of
default packages,how will I install downloaded
part?There is no installation icon in the file that I
saved to my computer!!

Thirdly,for full installation what will I do?What is
the meaning of "Full Installation" here?

* Re: Installation
@ 2003-01-17 16:10                   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-01-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Markebo; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Andrew Markebo wrote:

> | "ls -l" works fine but...
> | "ls -l | more" does not
>
> What error do you get?? I assume command not found.. basically there
> are no more that comes with cygwin.. but there should be a less..

<http://www.cygwin.com/packages/more/more-2.11o-1>
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune

* Re: Installation
@ 2003-01-17 13:59                     ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-01-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

/ Volker Quetschke <quetschke@scytek.de> wrote:
| Hi!
|
|> | $ tar -C/ -xjf cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2
| -------------------------------------^^^
|
| bzip2 / bunzip2 are missing.

'j' takes care of that.

|> Hmm doesn't it look for cygipc-1.13-2.. in / now?? Try to do a cd /
|> tar -xjf [pathtocygipc]/cyg...
|> | tar (child): cygipc.1.13-2.tar.bz2: cannot open: no such file or
|> directory
| ----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^ most probably
| means bunzip2.

Nope means file not found.. If it can find and try to read the file it
complains over bad entry in the file.

          /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Re: Installation
@ 2003-01-17 13:09                   ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2003-01-17 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

> | $ tar -C/ -xjf cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2
-------------------------------------^^^

bzip2 / bunzip2 are missing.

> Hmm doesn't it look for cygipc-1.13-2.. in / now?? Try to do a
> cd /
> tar -xjf [pathtocygipc]/cyg...
>
> | tar (child): cygipc.1.13-2.tar.bz2: cannot open: no such file or directory
----------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^ most probably means
bunzip2.

Volker
--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 251 bytes --]

* Re: Installation
@ 2003-01-17 12:37                 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-01-17 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-01-17 12:26               ` Scott Taylor

From: Andrew Markebo @ 2003-01-17 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

/ "Scott Taylor" <scott.taylor@4i-dotcom.com> wrote:
| In the /bin directory are all the bash commands that you use in a typical
| unix shell...correct? Then why can I use a command like "ls -l" and not
| "locate" which both reside in /bin?

[...]
| $ man ls
| BASH: man: command not found

have you installed the man-package?

| $ locate cygwin.bat
| locate: /usr/var/locatedb: no such file or directory

locate needa its database to be built before running, I think it is
updatedb that does this.. To do a quick search now, you can use find.

| Does this make sense now?

Yep :-)

    /Andy

--

       [not found]         ` <m3adi0f8xj.fsf@telia.com>
@ 2003-01-17 11:25           ` Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2003-01-17 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

In the /bin directory are all the bash commands that you use in a typical
unix shell...correct? Then why can I use a command like "ls -l" and not
"locate" which both reside in /bin?

This is usually a PATH issue in a normal unix environment, but I believe my
PATH is fine. (i.e. PATH=C:\cygwin\bin)

$ ls -l
total 420
drwxr-xr-x    3    scott    Ta    unknown    0    Jan 14 18:51    bin
(lists all the directories)

$ man ls
BASH: man: command not found

$ locate cygwin.bat
locate: /usr/var/locatedb: no such file or directory

Does this make sense now?

Scott

> Please keep replies on the mailing list.
>
> Scott Taylor wrote:
> > OK thanks. But what is the problem with running certain commands like
> > "locate"? The bin directory is in my PATH.
>
> What is what problem? I'm not psychic.
>
> > Also, can I assume that because there is the postgresql.exe
> > application in /bin, that PostgreSQL has been installed. I never
> > built it with cygipc as instructed.
>
> PostgreSQL is a bit of an exception. It is the only package which depends
on
> software outside the main Cygwin distro. You *need* cygipc for postgresql
> work.
>
> Max.
>

> --

* Re: Installation
       [not found]   ` <00d701c2bdb0$af356100$5e2b7ad5@workstation1>
@ 2003-01-17  3:17     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-17  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Taylor, cygwin

Scott Taylor wrote:
> OK thanks. But what is the problem with running certain commands like
> "locate"? The bin directory is in my PATH.

What is what problem? I'm not psychic.

> Also, can I assume that because there is the postgresql.exe
> application in /bin, that PostgreSQL has been installed. I never
> built it with cygipc as instructed.

PostgreSQL is a bit of an exception. It is the only package which depends on
software outside the main Cygwin distro. You *need* cygipc for postgresql to
work.

Max.

* Re: Installation
@ 2003-01-16 19:22 ` Max Bowsher
       [not found]   ` <00d701c2bdb0$af356100$5e2b7ad5@workstation1>
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-01-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Taylor, Cygwin

Scott Taylor wrote:
> I seem to have the basic packages and directories installed, but I
> have ended up with 2 additional directories labelled with the name of
> the mirror site I used (think I attempted download more than once).
>
> i.e.
>
> bin
> etc
> ftp mirror site
> ftp mirror site
> home
> lib
> tmp
> usr
> var
>
> In the ftp directories I have the same files that are in /etc/setup,
> but instead of them being lst.gz files they are tar.bz2. I can use
> the CLI to view the directories with "ls -l" but not run commands
> like "locate".
>
> The /bin directory seems to have all the executables, and my PATH
> statement has C:\cygwin\bin.
>
> Please help

You are using the same directory as the package cache and install root. This
is not recommended.

Choose somewhere else as your package cache dir, and move the
ftp-mirror-site dirs there. Tell setup about this new cache dir next time
you run it. Setup stores the packages it downloads in the cache dir, in case
you want to reinstall. That is what the tar.* files are. The lst.gz files
are part of setup's accounting of what is installed - leave them alone.

Max.

* Installation
@ 2003-01-16 19:07 Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2003-01-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

@ 2002-12-12 14:37 lhall
From: lhall @ 2002-12-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, d.dorst

Actually, I'm not sure if there is a proper list for this.  This list
can't really answer questions about someone else's distribution, assuming
that's the source of the problem.  This list can help you determine if
the CD is the source of the problem (or if it's just user error).  However,
we would need to know exactly the steps you take and selections you make
prior to the "problem".  For example, one way that this problem could arise
is if you picked a local directory which did not contain the any packages.
If there is nothing obviously wrong with your process, then the problem
would
have to be with the CD, it's contents, and/or it's structure.  But to
resolve
that issue, you'd need to contact the provider of the CD.

Larry

From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-12-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: d. dorst; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-xfree

--

@ 2002-10-19 14:19 Gen Zhang
From: Gen Zhang @ 2002-10-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Which mirror??

From: Johnny Gunnar Carlsson @ 2002-10-19 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-08-23 14:26 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2000-08-23 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raphael_Wang, cygwin, 'Earnie Boyd'

Hi Raphael,

here you have a problem, since on a modern 70GB disk only about
500 of the most recent cygwin versions will fit together with NT and
it's 798465 DLLs in system32, not to forget the about 532680 *.wav
and 912678 *.bmp files 8-)

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-gmbh.de)

* Re: installation
@ 2000-08-22 19:13 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-08-22 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raphael_Wang, cygwin

@ 2000-08-22 17:29 Raphael_Wang
From: Raphael_Wang @ 2000-08-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sir/Madam,

     I wonder how much hard disk space the installation of CYGWIN
environment would take and how it would affect my existing NT4 workstation
environment.  Can you comment?

Raph

This email and any files attached are considered
confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom this email is addressed.
If you have received this email in error please notify :
         ( itsupport@chubb.com.au )
This footnote also confirms that the above email has been
scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

* installation
@ 1998-09-11  6:26 Axel Schmitz-Tewes
From: Axel Schmitz-Tewes @ 1998-09-11  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin-forum

Hi,

a little off topic and perhaps trivial. I have installed egcs1.1 and
recently the gnu-ada
compiler which seems to be a front-end of gcc. But they use different
versions
of gcc. I have to set different values of GCC_EXEC_PREFIX .. etc.
Is it possible to use both compiler with the same settings?

thanks for an answer,

Axel
-

* Re: installation
@ 1997-09-25 19:33 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-25 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, kai

>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 19:27:32 +0100
>From: kai <kai@globalnet.co.uk>
>To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>Subject: installation
>
>help!
>
>I have bought a book which contains cygnus beta17, I am not sure if it
>is supported, but i am having real trouble installing it. I can put it
>all onto my hard drive, but after that, I have no idea what to run , do
>what or whatever. Everything that I open say something like error, do
>something else. The book is by SAMS PUBLISHING, "teach yourself C++ in
>24hrs. (yeah right). I have read all the notes and there is nothing
>telling you to do what. There is nothing to say which files are the
>compilers, debuggers, linkers and so on. Where the hell is everything?
>This just stupid.

Let me first point you to some important documents:

Read the README.txt and faq.txt file located at
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/ .

Then take a look at the http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32 web page.
This is the mail list archive and you will be able to find the answers
to many questions.

Goodluck,

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* installation
@ 1997-09-25 11:31 kai
From: kai @ 1997-09-25 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

help!

I have bought a book which contains cygnus beta17, I am not sure if it
is supported, but i am having real trouble installing it. I can put it
all onto my hard drive, but after that, I have no idea what to run , do
what or whatever. Everything that I open say something like error, do
something else. The book is by SAMS PUBLISHING, "teach yourself C++ in
24hrs. (yeah right). I have read all the notes and there is nothing
telling you to do what. There is nothing to say which files are the
compilers, debuggers, linkers and so on. Where the hell is everything?
This just stupid.

E-mail me back asap at
kai@globalnet.co.uk
(all lowercase)