* RE: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-21 23:17 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-21 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'GBradfor'

GBradfor wrote:
>      find is failing to take valid command strings.  I am running b18 under
>      Windows95.
>
>      Example case:
>         find . -name *.c -print
>
>      The cygwin32 version gives the following error:
>         FIND:  Parameter format not correct

:-) It's not a cygwin's find message, but the message printed by windows's find :-) Rename \windows\command\find.exe to something else.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-25 12:17   ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-10-25 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi Tage,

>Make your own find:
>bash$ cd .../gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin
>bash$ cp find.exe gnufind.exe
>bash$ cd /...
>bash$ gnufind . -name *.c -print
>Find all instances of the word "include" in .h files:
>bash$ gnufind . -name *.h -exec grep include {} \; -print
>This will work!

It might work, but it would be better to get used to

     (gnu)find . -name "*.c" -print
     (gnu)find . -name "*.h" -exec grep include {} \; -print
                       ^   ^

>Tage

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-23  2:21 ` Tage Westlund
From: Tage Westlund @ 1997-10-23  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-10-22 20:41 raf
From: raf @ 1997-10-22 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

with so many people asking about find,
isn't it about time it was added to the FAQ?

seeya,
raf

-

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-22  6:38 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-10-22  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GBradfor, gnu-win32

At 02:53 PM 10/21/97 -0500, GBradfor wrote:
>     This is, more than likely, a true newbie problem.  I've searched the
>     back issues of the mailing list, and there are no other reports of
>     this problem.  So, it's probably just me; but just in case...
>
>     find is failing to take valid command strings.  I am running b18 under
>     Windows95.
>
>     Example case:
>        find . -name *.c -print
>
>     The cygwin32 version gives the following error:
>        FIND:  Parameter format not correct
>
>     Running this same command on my Linux box gives the appropriate file
>     listing.
>
>     I have also tried variations on this same theme:
>        find <absolute path name (with both '\' and '/')> -name *.c -print
>        find -name *.c -print     /* no starting pathname; use present */
>                                  /* directory as default.             */
>        find . -name "*.c" -print
>        find . -name '*.c' -print
>
>     The most interesting was:
>        find "<absolute pathname>" -name *.c -print
>     find ignored what was in quotes and interpretted everything else as
>     search paths.
>
>     Any suggestions on this?
>
>     /s/
>     Pat Bradford
>
>     Reply to:
>     gbradfor@redstone.army.mil
>          AND/OR
>     p_n_brad@traveller.com

Are you sure you are getting the gnuwin32 version of find and not the
Windows version?  The error you get seems to indicate this.

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-22  4:14 ` Paul Kirkaas
From: Paul Kirkaas @ 1997-10-22  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Gibb, gnu-win32

On 22-Oct-97 "John Gibb" wrote:
> I suspect you are using the wrong 'find'.  For example, i found myself
> inadvertently using the NT flavor of find instead of the bash
> flavor...

>>     find is failing to take valid command strings.
>>     The cygwin32 version gives the following error:
>>        FIND:  Parameter format not correct

Of course, we all know the answer now, but a clue with future confusions
like that, note the case of the FIND command in the error message.  A dead
giveaway.

Paul

--
Paul Kirkaas
pki@cri.dk

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-22  1:08 ` Claus Brod
From: Claus Brod @ 1997-10-22  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GBradfor; +Cc: gnu-win32

GBradfor wrote:

>      This is, more than likely, a true newbie problem.  I've searched the
>      back issues of the mailing list, and there are no other reports of
>      this problem.  So, it's probably just me; but just in case...
>
>      find is failing to take valid command strings.  I am running b18 under
>      Windows95.
>
>      Example case:
>         find . -name *.c -print
>
>      The cygwin32 version gives the following error:
>         FIND:  Parameter format not correct

It seems that your shell is picking up the NT version of "find" which
has a completely different parameter syntax. You might want to change
your search path slightly so that the GNU utilities are found first.

--claus_brod@hp.com-----------------------------------------------------
  Claus Brod, CoCreate Software    Have you hugged your manager today?
  CoCreate Software GmbH
  A Hewlett-Packard Company        Phone: +49 7031 951 152
-- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3366 ---#include <disclaimer>--
-

* Re: Elementary Problem with find
@ 1997-10-21 18:19 John Gibb
From: John Gibb @ 1997-10-21 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GBradfor, gnu-win32

I suspect you are using the wrong 'find'.  For example, i found myself
inadvertently using the NT flavor of find instead of the bash flavor...turns
out my PATH had /WINNT/systemm32 prior to /gnuwin32/../bin.

I created the following alias to combat this:

alias f='//D/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/find.exe'

John Gibb
(415)-584-3754
jgibb1@ix.netcom.com
>     This is, more than likely, a true newbie problem.  I've searched the
>     back issues of the mailing list, and there are no other reports of
>     this problem.  So, it's probably just me; but just in case...
>
>     find is failing to take valid command strings.  I am running b18 under
>     Windows95.
>
>     Example case:
>        find . -name *.c -print
>
>     The cygwin32 version gives the following error:
>        FIND:  Parameter format not correct
>
>     Running this same command on my Linux box gives the appropriate file
>     listing.
>
>     I have also tried variations on this same theme:
>        find <absolute path name (with both '\' and '/')> -name *.c -print
>        find -name *.c -print     /* no starting pathname; use present */
>                                  /* directory as default.             */
>        find . -name "*.c" -print
>        find . -name '*.c' -print
>
>     The most interesting was:
>        find "<absolute pathname>" -name *.c -print
>     find ignored what was in quotes and interpretted everything else as
>     search paths.
>
>     Any suggestions on this?
>
>     /s/
>     Pat Bradford