* RE: Getting lynx.exe to compile _and_ _work_ from cygwin
@ 1997-10-22  4:36 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-22  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Victor Schneider'

Victor Schneider wrote:
> >Lynx configured and compiled under b18 cygwin runs fine! The initialisation
> of winsock is performed by cygwin.dll's start-up code.
> >
> It doesn't work.  If you've run `./configure' and compiled the result, you

Where did you find configure script in lynx-2.7.1 package? I just ran "make generic".

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Getting lynx.exe to compile _and_ _work_ from cygwin
@ 1997-10-22 18:52 ` Michael Hirmke
From: Michael Hirmke @ 1997-10-22 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi,

[...]
>with enough versions of lynx to know.  So, either you are very careless, or
>you are lying.

Please be a little bit carefull about what you are saying here.
I don't think, this is an appropriate reaction on Sergey's statement.

1. Sergey is right, Lynx compiles and works prefectly here with NT4
   Server SP3, Cygnus b18 and Sergey's newest .dll and
2. if anyone knows, whats going on regarding the internals of the Cygwin
   package besides Cygnus itself, it is Sergey. His contribution to the
   development of this package has really improved it a lot.

Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999
Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664
                         | WWW     http://minimike.franken.de/
-

* RE: Getting lynx.exe to compile _and_ _work_ from cygwin
@ 1997-10-22  1:08 Victor Schneider
From: Victor Schneider @ 1997-10-22  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

At 10:17 AM 10/22/97 +0300, you wrote:
>Victor Schneider wrote:
>> One plausible reason why lynx.exe won't work after being configured and
>> compiled under b18 cygwin32 is that the winsocket.dll initialization
>> function isn't called from lynx.  If you define `_WINDOWS' in
>
>Lynx configured and compiled under b18 cygwin runs fine! The initialisation
of winsock is performed by cygwin.dll's start-up code.

It doesn't work.  If you've run `./configure' and compiled the result, you
would know that (a) it doesn't read the control keys properly, unless you
use slang and (b) it can't look up named hosts.  I've done it enough times

@ 1997-10-21 23:17 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-21 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Victor Schneider'

@ 1997-10-21 15:44 Victor Schneider
From: Victor Schneider @ 1997-10-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

One plausible reason why lynx.exe won't work after being configured and
compiled under b18 cygwin32 is that the winsocket.dll initialization
function isn't called from lynx.  If you define `_WINDOWS' in
lynx/src/LYMain.c and define the structures used by the LYMain.c Windows
initialization call at the top of the file, you discover that it won't link
the extra functions, even though libwsock32.a has the named functions.

The reason that you don't want to include <winsock.h> in LYMain.c is that
the file is so badly written that it redefines and redeclares basic types
over and over again during the inclusion of miscellaneous files from
<cygwin32/...>, <windows32/...>, and <sys/...>.

Of course, then the question is how other winsocket users, like the slrn
news reader, manage to operate without initializing the winsocket.dll.

-