* RE: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-09  0:54 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-11-09  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, 'Shankar Ramamoorthy'

Shankar Ramamoorthy wrote:
> This isn't about Cygwin but I thought someone here might know.
>
> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?

Download tweakui from MS web site. I'm using this feature for a long time.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-13  4:49 Michael Lorenz
From: Michael Lorenz @ 1997-11-13  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall, da; +Cc: gnu-win32

Hi there...

I've just seen the subject but not the original message, but there is a package from MS calles power toys which contains a program named xmouse which does focus-follows-mouse on win95 and tnother one called TweakUI which can enable this under NT.

in the hope this helps...
Michael
-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-12 15:49 raf
From: raf @ 1997-11-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

>> Go to the control panel, mouse, motion, and uncheck "Snap mouse to the
>> default button in dialogs".

>Doesn't completely help. This will indeed prevent the pointer from being
>warped to the default button; it will not, however, prevent the dialog
>box from getting focus in the first place. I believe Bertrand is seeking
>a way to do the latter.

>Personally, I'd be happy if the dialog got focus as long as the keyboard
>accelerators were disabled until I took some hard-to-twitch action. I
>have the same trouble Bertrand does; I'm merrily typing along in some
>window and one of these dialogs pop up. My keystrokes go into the new
>dialog, performing who knows what horrifying actions, and I hit the
>return key before I even noticed keystrokes went awry.

you could always learn to touch type :)

raf

-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-11 16:48 dahms
From: dahms @ 1997-11-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: da; +Cc: gnu-win32, dahms

Hi David, you wrote:

:   1) start long download from MSIE, NS4, whatever.
:   2) start emacs
:   3) type, type, <cr>, type, type, <cr>, type..
:
:   --> download is done, some confirmation dialog shows up, *grabs focus*
:
:   3) type, type, type, <cr>
:
:   <cr> ==> means "OK" in the dialog box -- it should have gone to emacs.

The same annoyance happens (with vi 8-) under Unix/X11, so I prefer to
use cmdline ftp in it's own term window, with bell on.

Bye, Heribert (dahms@ifk20.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de)
-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-11 16:20 ` Jason Zions
From: Jason Zions @ 1997-11-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall; +Cc: David Ascher, Bertrand.Guiheneuf, gnu-win32

> Go to the control panel, mouse, motion, and uncheck "Snap mouse to the
> default button in dialogs".

Doesn't completely help. This will indeed prevent the pointer from being
warped to the default button; it will not, however, prevent the dialog
box from getting focus in the first place. I believe Bertrand is seeking
a way to do the latter.

Personally, I'd be happy if the dialog got focus as long as the keyboard
accelerators were disabled until I took some hard-to-twitch action. I
have the same trouble Bertrand does; I'm merrily typing along in some
window and one of these dialogs pop up. My keystrokes go into the new
dialog, performing who knows what horrifying actions, and I hit the
return key before I even noticed keystrokes went awry.

Jason
-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-11  9:09 ` David Ascher
From: David Ascher @ 1997-11-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall; +Cc: gnu-win32

On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Larry Hall wrote:

> >This is straying from gnuwin, but what about the other part of the
> >original question, which was to prevent the dialog boxes from
> >automatically grabbing focus?  I keep typing things and ending up with
> >saying "OK" to various dialog boxes when I don't necessarily mean to.
>
> Go to the control panel, mouse, motion, and uncheck "Snap mouse to the
> default button in dialogs".

Actually, that's not what I'm talking about.  Here's the scenario

  1) start long download from MSIE, NS4, whatever.
  2) start emacs
  3) type, type, <cr>, type, type, <cr>, type..

  --> download is done, some confirmation dialog shows up, *grabs focus*

  3) type, type, type, <cr>

  <cr> ==> means "OK" in the dialog box -- it should have gone to emacs.

is that clearer?

--da

-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-11  6:30 Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 1997-11-11  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ascher, Bertrand.Guiheneuf; +Cc: gnu-win32

At 11:59 AM 11/10/97 -0800, David Ascher wrote:

>This is straying from gnuwin, but what about the other part of the
>original question, which was to prevent the dialog boxes from
>automatically grabbing focus?  I keep typing things and ending up with
>saying "OK" to various dialog boxes when I don't necessarily mean to.

Go to the control panel, mouse, motion, and uncheck "Snap mouse to the
default button in dialogs".

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-10 12:01     ` David Ascher
From: David Ascher @ 1997-11-10 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bertrand.Guiheneuf; +Cc: gnu-win32

This is straying from gnuwin, but what about the other part of the
original question, which was to prevent the dialog boxes from
automatically grabbing focus?  I keep typing things and ending up with
saying "OK" to various dialog boxes when I don't necessarily mean to.

ObGnuwin32: I'm starting a new install from scratch, and I'm having
terminal configuration problems.  I've installed b18 + the latest
coolview.  Bash 2.01, the modified linux TERMINFO database, set TERM
linux, and I'm still getting things like:

   bash> less
   WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

   bash> vim
   Got 12
   WARNING: terminal cannot highlight.

etc.

What magic thing did I forget?

Thanks for any help.

--david

PS: Configuration: Windows NT 4SP3, b18.

PS: I've looked at the FAQ, I've tried to read a lot of the archives...

-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-11-10  8:55 ` Juha Jäykkä
From: Juha Jäykkä @ 1997-11-10  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Ramamoorthy; +Cc: gnu-win32

> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?
> Even worse is the window with focus always being on top.
> Is it possible to at least disable the bring-to-top-on-focus behavior?

  I do not know whether you can have "auto-rise" on NT or
"do-not-bring-focused-window-to-top" unless you have "focus-follows-mouse"
on, but that you can have. Aside from the mentioned TweakUI-package, try the
following registry setting:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse\ActiveWindowTracking and set it to 1 or
2. As I remember it 1 will be "focus-follows-mouse" and 2 will add auto-rise
to that. I'm not certain of the latter.

		| Juha Jäykkä, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/		|
		| pgp-key: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/pgp.txt	|
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-10  6:26   ` Bertrand.Guiheneuf
From: Bertrand.Guiheneuf @ 1997-11-10  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

\\ >>>>> "Shankar" == Shankar Ramamoorthy <shankar@wyattriver.com> writes:
\\
\\     Shankar> This isn't about Cygwin but I thought someone here might
\\     Shankar> know.
\\     Shankar> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?
\\     Shankar> Even worse is the window with focus always being on top.
\\     Shankar> Is it possible to at least disable the
\\     Shankar> bring-to-top-on-focus behavior?
\\     Shankar> Shankar - For help on using this list (especially
\\     Shankar> unsubscribing), send a message to
\\     Shankar> "gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text:
\\     Shankar> "help".
\\
\\
\\     There's a tool named xmouse.exe which is part of the
\\     powertoys.exe (Microsoft utilities)
\\     when you run xmouse.exe The focus follows the mouse
\\     and you can type in a partially hidden window
\\     It works on Win95 (and maybe also on NT)

Xmouse is very useful but, you must be warned that
it may sometimes lead to strange
behaviour of your aplications.
I have an example, but I'm not particularly proud of it:
execute xmouse,
launch M$ Editor Equation under M$ Word,
and try to type any formula...

	Bertrand

--
IMPORTANT:
Les propos ci dessus n'engagent que moi, ils ne representent aucunement

  Bertrand GUIHENEUF                 E-Mail: bertrand.guiheneuf@inria.fr
                                     Tel.:   (33) 01 39 63 50 36
  http://www-rocq.inria.fr/fractales/Staff/Guiheneuf

  Projet FRACTALES
  I.N.R.I.A. Rocquencourt,  B.P. 105 78153 LE CHESNAY Cedex

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-10  0:43 ` Jean-Philippe Chancelier
From: Jean-Philippe Chancelier @ 1997-11-10  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shankar; +Cc: gnu-win32

    Shankar> This isn't about Cygwin but I thought someone here might
    Shankar> know.
    Shankar> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?
    Shankar> Even worse is the window with focus always being on top.
    Shankar> Is it possible to at least disable the
    Shankar> bring-to-top-on-focus behavior?
    Shankar> Shankar - For help on using this list (especially
    Shankar> unsubscribing), send a message to
    Shankar> "gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text:
    Shankar> "help".

    There's a tool named xmouse.exe which is part of the
    powertoys.exe (Microsoft utilities)
    when you run xmouse.exe The focus follows the mouse
    and you can type in a partially hidden window
    It works on Win95 (and maybe also on NT)
        You can find xmouse.zip on
    ftp.inria.fr
        /INRIA/Scilab/Windows/utilities/xmouse.exe
	or elsewhere ...
    Jean-Philippe Chancelier.
-

* RE: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-09  4:06 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-11-09  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cloder, '$Bill Luebkert'; +Cc: Shankar Ramamoorthy, gnu-win32

$Bill Luebkert wrote:
> Chad Loder wrote:
> >
> > Yes, do a web search for a program called TweakUI. That is one of the
> > options.
>
> Tweakui does not have the capability to set "focus-follows-mouse".
> It's Xmouse.  Although, both (I believe) are part of the Powertools
> set from M$.

TweakUI on NT does almost the same as Xmouse on Win95.

--

@ 1997-11-08 23:51   ` $Bill Luebkert
From: $Bill Luebkert @ 1997-11-08 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cloder; +Cc: Shankar Ramamoorthy, gnu-win32

Chad Loder wrote:

> Yes, do a web search for a program called TweakUI. That is one of the
> options.

Tweakui does not have the capability to set "focus-follows-mouse".
It's Xmouse.  Although, both (I believe) are part of the Powertools
set from M$.

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles
  / ) /--<  o // //      http://www.wgn.net/~dbe/
-/-' /___/_<_</_</_    Email: dbe@wgn.net
-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-08 19:51 ` $Bill Luebkert
From: $Bill Luebkert @ 1997-11-08 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Ramamoorthy; +Cc: gnu-win32

Shankar Ramamoorthy wrote:

> This isn't about Cygwin but I thought someone here might know.
>
> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?
>
> Even worse is the window with focus always being on top.
> Is it possible to at least disable the bring-to-top-on-focus behavior?

There is a program called Xmouse that comes with the Microsoft
Powertoys for W95.  It works great on W95, I'm not sure if it
works on NT or not.  Check the M$ site for powertoys or xmouse
and see what they say.  Or just download it and give it a try.

Also something that may be helpful is the fact that Alt-ESC
will force the active window to the back of the stack.  I use
that a lot when xmouse isn't available.

HTH,
--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-08 19:36 Robert.V.Baron
From: Robert.V.Baron @ 1997-11-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Ramamoorthy; +Cc: gnu-win32

I don't have my NT machine handy.  But go to regedit, go to user keys
go to control panel go to mouse.  There is an option there that has
Active in its name.  Its value is 0.  Change it to 1.  When you next log
in, you will get a focus follows mouse w/o auto raise.

I would be really interested if anyone knows how to raise and lower (and
resequence) windows.
-

* Re: Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-08 17:00 ` Chad Loder
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Chad Loder @ 1997-11-08 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Ramamoorthy; +Cc: gnu-win32

Yes, do a web search for a program called TweakUI. That is one of the
options.

-chad

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Shankar Ramamoorthy wrote:

> This isn't about Cygwin but I thought someone here might know.
>
> Can I get focus-follows-mouse behavior on an NT 4.0 box?
>
> Even worse is the window with focus always being on top.
> Is it possible to at least disable the bring-to-top-on-focus behavior?
>
> Shankar
> -

| Chad Loder - Somerville, MA, USA                 |
| EMail:     cloder@acm.org                        |
| Home Page: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cloder    |

* Focus-follows-mouse on NT?
@ 1997-11-08 12:00 Shankar Ramamoorthy