* RE: tape drive on nt
@ 2000-09-05 10:18 Brian Perkins
From: Brian Perkins @ 2000-09-05 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Thanks Jason!
(Wow, that was quick!!!)

Since I didn't have to do a mount with any of the other unix utilities I've used, I never thought of that.

Thanks again,
Brian

* Re: tape drive on nt
@ 2000-09-05  9:49 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-09-05  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Brian Perkins wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I once used the MKS utilities to access my Exabyte 8505XL (but, the demo period expired ;)
>
> So, has anyone got any of the CygWin magnetic tape utilities to work on NT?
> I get these same results from a cmd or bash shell...
>
> $ mt -V
> mt V1.9.1, Corinna Vinschen, Jul 23 2000
>
> $ mt offline
> mt: '(null)' is no tape device.
> [...]
>
> (Btw, tar and dd do not work either!)

No, of course not.

You'll have to mount the tape. One mount point for the rewind
device and (if you need that) one for the norewind device. The
convention is that the mount point has to begin with "/dev"
and the norewind device has to begin with "n". For example:

	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/garfield
	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/ngarfield

or, if you prefer more serious names:

	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/rmt0
	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/nrmt0

Then you _must_ use the /dev/whatever in all tape related Cygwin
commands. Otherwise Cygwin doesn't know how to handle the devices.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

* Re: tape drive on nt
@ 2000-09-05  9:38 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2000-09-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Perkins; +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 11:15:00AM -0500, Brian Perkins wrote:
> So, has anyone got any of the CygWin magnetic tape utilities to work on NT?

You need to mount your tape device via the mount command.  For example:

    $ mount -f -b -s //./tape0 /dev/st0

Check out the following for more information:

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235

* tape drive on nt
@ 2000-09-05  9:16 Brian Perkins
From: Brian Perkins @ 2000-09-05  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hello all,

I once used the MKS utilities to access my Exabyte 8505XL (but, the demo period expired ;)

So, has anyone got any of the CygWin magnetic tape utilities to work on NT?
I get these same results from a cmd or bash shell...

$ mt -V
mt V1.9.1, Corinna Vinschen, Jul 23 2000

$ mt offline
mt: '(null)' is no tape device.

$ mt -f \\.\tape0 offline
mt: '(null)' is no tape device.