* Need anwsers
@ 1997-10-18  8:58 Edgardo Jimenez
From: Edgardo Jimenez @ 1997-10-18  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

to whom it may concern:

I bought the book
"Teach Y ourself C I n 24 H ours", and it
came with a CD GNUPro C/C++ Compiler and Debugger.  I installed the CD
following the instructions in all the readme text files.  I want to be able
to write C programs, complied them and run them or run the chapter source
code.  What am I missing, where is the c editor? I do not understand all
the things in the FAQ.TXT, it support to be a Complete starter
kit . Where can I write the example code in the chapters complied
them and run them.

You help is
appreciated.

* Re: Need anwsers
@ 1997-10-20 14:39 ` Geoffrey Noer
From: Geoffrey Noer @ 1997-10-20 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Peters; +Cc: ejimzz, gnu-win32

Colin Peters wrote:
[...]
> PS. The version of GNU-Win32 included with that book is b17.1 I think, the
>     current version is b18. Whoever told you that b17.1 can be considered
>     a "complete starter kit" was lying (b18 isn't either BTW).
[...]

Bundling the gnu-win32 releases in a book to teach C++ to beginning Win32
programmers was not a very bright thing to do.  Maybe in beta 30 or so
it might be a complete starter kit but right now... :-)

BTW, I didn't know Samm's was going to include it or I would have
strongly recommended that they *not* include gnu-win32 for that audience.
*sigh*

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com

* RE: Need anwsers
@ 1997-10-19 20:14 Colin Peters
From: Colin Peters @ 1997-10-19 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Edgardo Jimenez'; +Cc: 'GNU-Win32'

Edgardo Jimenez[SMTP:ejimzz@usit.net] wrote:
>I bought the book "Teach Yourself C In 24 Hours", and it came with a
>CD GNUPro C/C++ Compiler and Debugger.  I installed the CD following the
>instructions in all the readme text files.  I want to be able to write
>C programs, complied them and run them or run the chapter source code.
>  What am I missing, where is the c editor? I do not understand all the
>things in the FAQ.TXT, it support to be a Complete starter kit. Where
>can I write the example code in the chapters complied them and run them.

There are the beginnings of a tutorial for using GNU-Win32 linked to my homepage
at http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html (not mirrored at the Geocities
site yet). The installation instructions are not up yet, but there are some
hints on how to use the compiler once you have it installed. I will try to get
installation instructions up in the next few days. First hint though: there
is no C editor, you need to use your own text editor (vim or ntemacs are good
choices, but I suppose notepad will do in a pinch for very short programs).

Eventually I plan to include some introductory info on Win32 programming as
well... but that's some time in the future.

If anyone is planning to firebomb SAMs publishing for doing that book I'm
in! ;)

Colin.

PS. The version of GNU-Win32 included with that book is b17.1 I think, the
    current version is b18. Whoever told you that b17.1 can be considered
    a "complete starter kit" was lying (b18 isn't either BTW).

-- Colin Peters - Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science
-- colin@bird.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp - finger for PGP public key
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/index.html
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/

-