* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-28 22:17 Colin Peters
From: Colin Peters @ 1998-01-28 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: GNU-Win32

From: Fabio Vignoli <bafio@dist.unige.it>
>> 1) Did you preserve the trailing slash in GCC_EXEC_PREFIX ?
>> 2) You did replace all `C:\MINGW32' with your alternative path, right?
>
>1) Yes, I paied attention for that.
>2) I suppose yes, maybe the problem is in the pathname with double
quotes:
>   I installed the packages in the <c:\"Program Files"\mingw32>
directory.

You may be finding either that the quote is simply not being processed
properly (try without it) or that it is being escaped by the backslash in
front of it (try putting the entire path in quotes, i.e. "C:\Program
Files\mingw32"). Just a couple of ideas.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters -- colin at fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162

-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-31  5:38   ` Tomas Fasth
From: Tomas Fasth @ 1998-01-31  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeffdbREMOVETHIS; +Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, gnu-win32

Mikey wrote:

> Well let's get cygnus to change to -windows, -dll that way
> you could use

I think in general single dash options are supposed to be followed by a
single character indicating which option and eventually some more
characters being the option's argument, possibly preceded by white
space. In order to be more compliant to the command line option style in
other GNU software, I suggest we change that to --windows, --dll, and
--posix. Or similar.

I would have expected though, the use of a more generic double dash
option scheme already in place for such a widely ported tool as gcc. I
mean, windows (mingw32) and it's dynamic link scheme is not the only one
out there. Shouldn't this kind of stuff rather fall under the cross
platform properties (and the usage of the corresponding set of options)
of gcc?

Tomas
-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-29  4:47       ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 1998-01-29  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

Fabio Vignoli wrote:
> Just to joke:
> try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
>                                      cd "Program Files" (it works)
>                                      dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
>                                      dir "Program Files" (it works)
> Does anybody can tell me why?

;-)

If I had to guess I'd say it's just programmer's laziness and probably
backwards compatibility afterwards. You have to remember that in
DOS/Windows the command line is not parsed by the shell but by the
programs themselfs. That makes for a lot of inconsistencies between
applications and commands and seemingly even between command.com
built-ins.

The story probably was: The cd command has no options (or at least it
didn't use to), so the programmer of command.com did not bother to parse
the command line, he just took it and used it as a whole. In later
versions he added code to strip the quotes for compatibility with other
commands but he didn't use the full command-line parser, because that
might not have been backwards compatible with the use of the cd command
in older batch scripts. The dir command OTOH has a lot of options, so
the command line *has* to be parsed and after parsing Program Files
becomes two arguments.

All just guesswork, of course ;-)

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-28 21:10       ` Isaac Kohn
From: Isaac Kohn @ 1998-01-28 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

> Just to joke:
> try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
>                                      cd "Program Files" (it works)
>                                      dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
>                                      dir "Program Files" (it works)
> Does anybody can tell me why?

I assume the reason is that 'cd' never takes more than one arg, namely,
the directory to change to -- whereas dir can take many options and
switches and whatnot.  Because of this, cd knows that everything on the
command line is a directory name and it can allow this sort of thing --
whereas dir cannot allow this because it needs to look for other
arguments.

regards,
isaac

-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.3.96.980128204057.2538A-100000@zoo-station.student.utwente.nl>
@ 1998-01-28 15:02 ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1998-01-28 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, gnu-win32

Well let's get cygnus to change to -windows, -dll that way
you could use

gcc (for mingw32 console)
gcc -windows (for mingw32 GUI exe's)
gcc -dll (for mingw32 console dll's)
gcc -windows -dll (for mingw32 GUI dll's)
gcc -posix (for cygwin32 console)
gcc -posix -dll (for cygwin32 dll's)

Didn't Geoff say that B19 or B20 was going
to be native win32 with a posix extension?

Anyone can do this for themselves obviously,
but it's much easier to upgrade if you can get it into the
FSF sources.

CC="gcc -posix" ./configure --options (for unix software)
( or maybe setup autoconf to do it for us where necessary)
make cc=gcc                                            (for vc++ software)

It's pretty ridiculous ask developers to maintain ~40MB of extra
compiler tools, when you can do the same thing with
a few hundred bytes extra in the specs file ;^)

The first goal of any gcc port is to be able to replace the
native compiler. (in this case nmake/cl/link/lib/rc)
Which egcs-mingw32 is already pretty close to.

I would consider mingw32 a port, as opposed to cygwin32
which is actually an emulation library, able to replace
the posix subsystem on NT and add a posix subsystem
on 9x. (with a MUCH better one ;)

Not I hasten to add that I'm taking anything away from
cygnus, without that, we wouldn't have this ;^)
	Thanks Guys!!!

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:57:10 +0000 (WET), you wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Mumit Khan wrote:
>
>> jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com (Mikey) writes:
>> > Jan, Colin, Mumit, Geoff, and all other developers/maintainers
>> >
>> > using -mXXX is a very BAD idea for a gcc option.
>> >
>> > -m is reserved for processor specifications
>>
>> That's what the docs say as well, but Kenner has the final say as
>> FSF's GCC maintainer.
>>
>> JJ: did Kenner say why he wanted it this way?
>
>Kenner himself changed "-windows" to "-mwindows". This was probably for
>the sake of compatibility with cygwin32.
>
>When I couldn't talk him out of that, I argued that "-dll" should be
>renamed to "-mdll" to be consistent . BTW: I have seen *.lreg files
>around  when linking a dll, so the compiler was confused with "-dl"
>(preform a debug dump). I never bothered to make it reproducable.
>
>Most -mXXX options deal with target hardware dependant switches, and
>I agree that neither "-mwindows" nor "-mdll" is one of those.
>
> JanJaap
>
>---
>With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
>necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
>to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
>overhead.  -- RFC1925.

Linux a platform built by, and for users, standing on
the firm legs of reliability, and speed.

Microsoft Windows, a platform without a leg to stand on.

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey
-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-28 14:54     ` Fabio Vignoli
From: Fabio Vignoli @ 1998-01-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

> > You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
> > fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
> > couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...
> >
> I cannot reproduce this, even when the compiler is executed from a
> different drive.
> 1) Did you preserve the trailing slash in GCC_EXEC_PREFIX ?
> 2) You did replace all `C:\MINGW32' with your alternative path, right?

1) Yes, I paied attention for that.
2) I suppose yes, maybe the problem is in the pathname with double quotes:
   I installed the packages in the <c:\"Program Files"\mingw32> directory.

Just to joke:
try in a MSDOS shell on windows NT : cd Program Files (it works)
                                     cd "Program Files" (it works)
                                     dir Program Files (DOES NOT WORK!!!)
                                     dir "Program Files" (it works)
Does anybody can tell me why?

> The problem is an old version of `jam'.
>
> It uses GCC's former `-dll' option, which has been renamed to `-mdll'.
> So, instead of building a DLL, GCC will try to link a .EXE, and fail
> miserably.

Thanks, I'll try to compile it by hand ...

Bye,
Fabio

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.3.96.980128215032.3179A-100000@zoo-station.student.utwente.nl>
@ 1998-01-28 14:54 ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1998-01-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, gnu-win32

-mwindows given to cpp
get's caught by cc1/plus and dumps you out with
windows no such processor (or something like that I don't remember exactly cause I quit using it immediately ;)

using -mdll would work the same, I'm sure, although I don't see any reason
you would need it for the preprocessor/compiler. (I'm sure someone will find one eventually)

maybe I should just bite the bullet, and replace all the FSF windows headers
with the SDK headers, but you can't redistribute those, so using -windows (and -console)
to toggle -I /path/include/win32 (and the necessary predefines) lets people who don't want to download and
patch the SDK headers use the FSF headers without having to modify their
sources, (except where the FSF headers are incompatible)

Also cygwin.dll won't compile with the SDK headers, because of
the incompatibilities, so if you want to recompile the CDK you need the
FSF headers.

@ 1998-01-28  0:46     ` Mikey
From: Mikey @ 1998-01-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden, gnu-win32

@ 1998-01-27 16:21   ` Jan-Jaap van der Heijden
From: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden @ 1998-01-27 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: GNU-Win32 list, Colin Peters

@ 1998-01-27  8:52   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1998-01-27  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Vignoli; +Cc: gnu-win32

Fabio Vignoli <bafio@dist.unige.it> writes:

> 2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or other
> tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my inexperience
> in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of the
> default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).

Chances are that the jamfile uses "-dll" option, which has since been
renamed to -mdll. That should fix your problem.

Mumit
-

* Re: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-27  5:51 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1998-01-27  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bafio; +Cc: gnu-win32

From owner-gnu-win32@cygnus.com Tue Jan 27 04:52:59 1998
>Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:26:05 +0100 (MET)
>From: Fabio Vignoli <bafio@dist.unige.it>
>To: Jan-Jaap van der Heijden <janjaap@Wit381304.student.utwente.nl>
>cc: GNU-Win32 list <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Subject: Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
>Sender: owner-gnu-win32@cygnus.com
>
>Hi!
>
>I downloaded the mingw32 required packages and tried to install on my
hd:

>1) In the installation page:
>
> http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~janjaap/mingw32/installation.html
>
>You wrote "I shall assume `C:\MINGW32' but another location should be
>fine", but it seems that it's not, I tried another directory and gcc
>couldn't find the "specs" file in the ...gcc-lib/...

I use MINGW32 in a different path than C:\MINGW32.  You need to check
your environment variables.  Make sure that the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is
correct.  You must have MSDOS style paths and path separators.  You must
end GCC_EXEC_PREFIX with a \

>But this is not a big problem ... :^) maybe you forgot a fixed macro in
>the code or a new anvironment variable is needed .
>
>2) The problem I encountered when I tried to compile the dlltest or
other
>tests provided with the packages is more serious, maybe is my
inexperience
>in using the tool but it seems that WinMain does not exist in any of
the
>default libraries. (I used jam to compile it).
>
>I can't report the exact error message because I'm not at home but it
>seems that it can't find a reference to WinMain@16.

I believe you need to add a switch to indicate windows. In cygwin32 it
is -mwindows.  I don't know if it has changed for MINGW32.

>Thanks for your attention,
>Fabio

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

Check out these great gnu-win32 related sites:
ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/           (ftp site)
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/                   (Comercial Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/                (Project Page)
http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32                   (Mail Archives)
http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/    (HTML Man Pages)
http://www.lexa.ru/sos                               (Sergey Okhapkin)
ftp://www.lexa.ru/pub/domestic/sos/                (Sergey's ftp site)
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html        (Colin Peters)
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ (Mumit Khan)
http://gnu-win32.paranoia.ru                   (Chuck Bogorad's ports)
ftp://ftp.deninc.com/pub (Den Internet Services - US mirror and ports)
http://www.bestweb.net/~aka/gnu-win32/  (GNU-Win32 Bash Configuration)

* Problems with mingw32 GCC 2.8.0 !!!
@ 1998-01-27  2:27 ` Fabio Vignoli